The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I don't make $150,000 a year

whytelight

10 hours ago, Monty said:

We currently have 4 bedrooms and an office (office is as big as the bedroom, so I guess 5 bedrooms). Realistically, we could get away with 3 (kids would have to share a room when visitors come). 

That said, the spare bedroom in our basement we just renovated also doubles as the kids playroom. 

So yeah, condo life isn’t really an option. Once you get used to property size (half an acre), and love the yard work that comes with that, as well as the house, then it’s tough to downgrade. Especially when it’s ridiculously affordable. I also work from home, so working/living in a home that fits that is pretty key. 

I also like the idea of traveling and disposable income. We go out to BC at least once a year for 1-2 weeks. So I get the best of both. 

Come over to the sunshine coast

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R2350559/6488-norvan-road-sechelt-bc?search_id=sechelt-bc&search_type=property_browse

18 hours ago, Violator said:

This house is literally blocks from my place haha.

18 hours ago, Monty said:

Not bad. Still double my mortgage. Doable, for sure.

Almost double my mortgage as well, I would need to do some serious work in the yard and the fence would need replacing. Bit of a view of the Trail Islands and Vancouver Island not bad though.

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

This house is literally blocks from my place haha.

Almost double my mortgage as well, I would need to do some serious work in the yard and the fence would need replacing. Bit of a view of the Trail Islands and Vancouver Island not bad though.

Thats just what i saw after about 1 minute of looking

Recently got a pretty good job here on the island, and I'm still struggling. It has really put things in perspective for me - I was struggling before, but I thought that was because I was making too little. Now I'm making good money and I still feel like I'm not able to save much.

I feel really torn about leaving the place I grew up to go to some place I have no familiarity with.

But with that said, I do think I'll have to leave eventually. I just don't know where. Couldn't pay me to live in Alberta or Saskatoon or any of those places. 

9 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Recently got a pretty good job here on the island, and I'm still struggling. It has really put things in perspective for me - I was struggling before, but I thought that was because I was making too little. Now I'm making good money and I still feel like I'm not able to save much.

I feel really torn about leaving the place I grew up to go to some place I have no familiarity with.

But with that said, I do think I'll have to leave eventually. I just don't know where. Couldn't pay me to live in Alberta or Saskatoon or any of those places. 

If you honestly reflect, are there some things you could cut back on?

Could you save $10-$30 per week by changing your food purchasing habits?

Could you save $40-$60 every 2 months by changing your BC Hydro energy consumption habits?

Do you have a lot of things in your house that you don't really need or use and can sell them on marketplace or craigslist?

I have absolutely no information about you, your situation, your job, etc. and I'm definitely not judging or trying to impose my suggestions on you - I'm more speaking in the general sense (This could apply to anyone in this thread). 

What I found was, and it sneaked up on me, that automatically treating Friday and Saturday nights as eating out/ordering in was actually a huge cost. For the 2 of us, it costs about $40 to order take out or about $65-$80 to eat out (with drinks) so that's like about $100-$120 per week, $400-$480 a month! So we made a change of ordering some cheaper but equally as pleasant options (sushi versus cactus club, etc.) and it's saving us $200+ a month.

Again, this is just one example that was specific to me and my context - it may or may not work for you. But take a look around your house and see if there's anything you don't really need or care about that could be of value to someone else :)

4 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

If you honestly reflect, are there some things you could cut back on?

Could you save $10-$30 per week by changing your food purchasing habits?

Could you save $40-$60 every 2 months by changing your BC Hydro energy consumption habits?

Do you have a lot of things in your house that you don't really need or use and can sell them on marketplace or craigslist?

I have absolutely no information about you, your situation, your job, etc. and I'm definitely not judging or trying to impose my suggestions on you - I'm more speaking in the general sense (This could apply to anyone in this thread). 

What I found was, and it sneaked up on me, that automatically treating Friday and Saturday nights as eating out/ordering in was actually a huge cost. For the 2 of us, it costs about $40 to order take out or about $65-$80 to eat out (with drinks) so that's like about $100-$120 per week, $400-$480 a month! So we made a change of ordering some cheaper but equally as pleasant options (sushi versus cactus club, etc.) and it's saving us $200+ a month.

Again, this is just one example that was specific to me and my context - it may or may not work for you. But take a look around your house and see if there's anything you don't really need or care about that could be of value to someone else :)

Yeah I need to start adding my costs up. I'm generally a pretty cheap person and don't really buy much unless I need it. Don't even have a car right now (live near work and town) but I do go out to eat, or buy my lunches at work, etc. very often. That's my only expense, really, but like you said, it can really add up. And I've never added it up before. Probably should ;|

21 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Grew up in PG. Despising all things Quesnel is part of the DNA....;)

Grew up on the Sunshine Coast, almost 40 years old now and feeling the pinch, every year seems tighter and tighter. After the thousands a month to just live average ? above average ? I am getting to the point where my " List of Despisables " is shrinking. The family does not want to live away from the ocean, I get it but we could secure things better in another location with a more comfortable living space as well. We shall see, all our revenue streams can be attained in most other areas.

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Grew up on the Sunshine Coast, almost 40 years old now and feeling the pinch, every year seems tighter and tighter. After the thousands a month to just live average ? above average ? I am getting to the point where my " List of Despisables " is shrinking. The family does not want to live away from the ocean, I get it but we could secure things better in another location with a more comfortable living space as well. We shall see, all our revenue streams can be attained in most other areas.

TBH, I haven't seen Quesnel in about 20 years. It's probably not so bad.

....but old habits die hard....;)

21 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Grew up in PG. Despising all things Quesnel is part of the DNA....;)

Property values are increasing in PG these days as well, have seriously been considering the move there... I'd rather have a 500K mortgage and 100+ acres than 500K mortgage and a .25 acre lot in a city myself. I am nearing a decision to say goodbye to construction and move out into the country to be a bison farmer, just have to convince the wife :lol:

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I live on the ocean, but we're isolated in other ways. One road in and out, so if the highway between here and terrace is closed, we're stuck. (Unless we want to fly)

OTOH, You can buy a decent house here for under $300k. I'm currently renovating my house, with an eye on downsizing in a few years and $300 thousand is the number we're looking at. The house has 4 bedrooms, a rec room and a large storage room, which I use as a man cave. Part of the reno is turning a half bath into a full bath. (Actually with just a shower)

I can't remember the square footage off the top of my head, but it's a decent sized house, easily big enough for a family. There's also a car port and decent sized front and back yards. The thing we like most about it is the fact that it's right on the corner before turning into a circle drive. There's street on one side and a small park on the other. So we have no next door neighbors. the closest house is behind our back yard.

Archived