The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I don't make $150,000 a year

whytelight

23 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Regarding min wage for servers in BC, I was under the impression that they will be evened up with increasing minimum wage by 2021. $15.20

Liquor servers get $1.25 less per hour.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/minimum-wage-exemption-gender-wage-gap-1.4574093

"

British Columbia has committed to hitting a $15.20 minimum wage by 2021, but what is still unclear is how the government plans to deal with existing exemptions to the wage.

Currently, liquor servers on minimum wage make $1.25 less per hour in base wages than other workers.

Kaitlyn Matulewicz, an organizer and researcher with the workers' rights advocacy organization, The Retail Action Network, says the separate rate is reinforcing the gender pay gap and making women more vulnerable to harassment at work.

"We know the mantra that 'the customer is always right' and tipping brings that to life," she told Stephen Quinn, the host of CBC's The Early Edition.

Having a wage that relies on customers tipping means workers are constantly navigating the line between accepting inappropriate behaviour or risking necessary income, Matulewicz explained.

"Unfortunately, sometimes drawing that line means that there is an immediate economic impact in that they are not tipped," she said.

"This reliance [on customers for tips] makes them vulnerable to having to endure sexual harassment, really, as the price to be paid for a tip."

The Fair Trade Commission, the group that recommended the path to raising the minimum wage, is looking into the current exemptions and writing a second report that is expected to land on Labour Minister Harry Bains's desk in the next week or so.

underground.jpg
Liquor servers have a lower minimum wage because they are expected to make up the difference in tips. (Underground Pub and Grill)

Insecure income

In B.C., 81 per cent of food and beverage servers are women and so the liquor server exception disproportionately impacts women.

"Tips are not guaranteed and so they are an insecure form of income in that sense," Matulewicz said.

Her organization is advocating to eliminate the liquor server minimum wage and increase transparency around tipping pools shared between employees.

Ultimately, the culture around tipping should shift but that will be difficult, Matulewicz said.

"Restaurants that try to do that right now are competing with restaurants that get a significant subsidy paid by customers," she said. "Often, they raise their menu prices in order to offset that."

With files from The Early Edition.

•  

•  
AccountIcon.279d111195e6900720b6b3849ca8

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Liquor servers get $1.25 less per hour.

yeah, they will even out in 2021

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards/factsheets/minimum-wage-rate-for-liquor-servers

The minimum wage for liquor servers is increasing at a greater rate than the regular minimum wage. It will be phased out June 1, 2021, at which time there will no longer be a different minimum wage for liquor servers and the regular minimum wage will apply.

June 1, 2021 – $15.20 per hour

On 3/22/2019 at 5:16 PM, whytelight said:

Hello from Manitoba:

How do you afford to live in the Lower Mainland?  I'm a full time teacher here and 1/4 of my net income goes to put a roof over my head (mortgage, fees, interest, heat/water, insurance).

How do people working normal jobs like teachers, nurses, clerks, mechanics, tellers, etc afford to live?  I've read that rents are $2000+ a month and shack in Whalley is $750,000...my math says that a mortgage on that would be $3000 a month.  If a roof over your head takes up 65% of your net income, how do you eat, drive, save for the future, and live?

Does everyone in the Lower Mainland make a minimum of $150,000 a year?  What am I missing?

Some parasites are being subsidized. 

13 hours ago, drummerboy said:

buy outside the city.   

Done deal.  

Half the price, and sky train goes as far as Port Moody now.  

Hell, west coast express goes to maple ridge and mission.  

The coast is pretty easily affordable if you don’t live downtown Vancouver. 

Is it way more expensive than living in Princeton or Greenwood?  Of course, but keep in mind you are going to pay more to live in a beautiful place.  

Personally, I want the prices to start to skyrocket again.    Sooner that happens I can sell here and go pay off a house in the interior.  

2 hour commute on public transit? Gross.

Second

$25 x 2 hours x 200 days x 25 years x 8%

$736,000

20 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

2 hour commute on public transit? Gross.

2 hr commute still puts you in a city where detached homes are approximately  750 000 range for entry level. 

50,000 down if you have parents to help you out or are a super saver.... ..... then a .  700 000 dollar mortgage... with is 3800 a month.....

Good luck with that.....

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

2 hr commute still puts you in a city where detached homes are approximately  750 000 range for entry level. 

50,000 down if you have parents to help you out or are a super saver.... ..... then a .  700 000 dollar mortgage... with is 3800 a month.....

Good luck with that.....

New ones here in Abby being built in an old part of town. Starting at 7, high end into low seven figures. 

Vancouver is ridiculously unaffordable. Yes, you can live outside Vancouver (Abbotsford, Coquitlam, Surrey, Port Moody, etc), but you are still going to get hit with the cost of the commute into Vancouver. Gas is unaffordable, the skytrain is overpriced, and transit gets worse depending on how far outside Vancouver you go. 

There are so many amazing places in the world that offer a high quality of life, that are much more affordable than Vancouver is. Vancouver is a dying city, especially with many of the younger generation starting to move out. The progressive culture of a city is determined by its youth, and its the reason why Vancouver can be classified as a "boring" city to live in, since people in their 20's either can't afford living in Vancouver, or are struggling to survive. 

What's the point in living in a city that is unaffordable, boring, corrupt, and segregated across city lines? Yes, the nature and landscape of Vancouver is absolutely gorgeous, but there are many cities around the world that are just as beautiful. Vancouver isn't worth it anymore. 

I left Vancouver a year ago, and there are two reasons why I miss Vancouver. My family, and the food. Besides that, there's nothing in Vancouver that is particularly enticing enough to ever come back home, and it seems like it is getting worse by the day.

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Good luck with that.....

And your 2 hour commute is worth $736,000 in lost wages!

4 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Vancouver is ridiculously unaffordable. Yes, you can live outside Vancouver (Abbotsford, Coquitlam, Surrey, Port Moody, etc), but you are still going to get hit with the cost of the commute into Vancouver. Gas is unaffordable, the skytrain is overpriced, and transit gets worse depending on how far outside Vancouver you go. 

There are so many amazing places in the world that offer a high quality of life, that are much more affordable than Vancouver is. Vancouver is a dying city, especially with many of the younger generation starting to move out. The progressive culture of a city is determined by its youth, and its the reason why Vancouver can be classified as a "boring" city to live in, since people in their 20's either can't afford living in Vancouver, or are struggling to survive. 

What's the point in living in a city that is unaffordable, boring, corrupt, and segregated across city lines? Yes, the nature and landscape of Vancouver is absolutely gorgeous, but there are many cities around the world that are just as beautiful. Vancouver isn't worth it anymore. 

I left Vancouver a year ago, and there are two reasons why I miss Vancouver. My family, and the food. Besides that, there's nothing in Vancouver that is particularly enticing enough to ever come back home, and it seems like it is getting worse by the day.

Interesting what are some of the other places?

What I don't get is the wage to housing gap. I don't get how one could make 3 X the wage in Calgary and a house costs half as much.

Yea I get it Vancouver is beautiful but so is that bitchy girl you ditched three years back.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Interesting what are some of the other places?

What I don't get is the wage to housing gap. I don't get how one could make 3 X the wage in Calgary and a house costs half as much.

Yea I get it Vancouver is beautiful but so is that bitchy girl you ditched three years back.

The interior of Canada and the US. I think the coasts of both countries in most cases are becoming much like Vancouver and the lower mainland: stupidly unaffordable and impractical even if you can afford. Otherwise pack your bags and leave the continent altogether. But that introduces a whole other host of issues. 

I read an article the other day from I forget where but it mentioned that Canada's housing market is going the direction of where the States was in 2008 and that it's going to implode eventually. I'm not an expert on the subject but I see some similarities and the fact this status quo is obviously unsustainable

5 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Just curious, Darkstar, where did you move to? I agree with you. The city is definitely worth the ridiculous price tag it demands.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:16 PM, whytelight said:

Hello from Manitoba:

How do you afford to live in the Lower Mainland?  I'm a full time teacher here and 1/4 of my net income goes to put a roof over my head (mortgage, fees, interest, heat/water, insurance).

How do people working normal jobs like teachers, nurses, clerks, mechanics, tellers, etc afford to live?  I've read that rents are $2000+ a month and shack in Whalley is $750,000...my math says that a mortgage on that would be $3000 a month.  If a roof over your head takes up 65% of your net income, how do you eat, drive, save for the future, and live?

Does everyone in the Lower Mainland make a minimum of $150,000 a year?  What am I missing?

I love BC and Vancouver but the housing is an absolute joke. I am fortunate my family owns houses in Vancouver and that is because my grandfather never sold any properties but you can't even afford townhouses anymore. The new townhouses in Langley are starting at $715,000 10-15 years ago these townhouses would be max $200,000. This is Langley we are talking about that doesn't even have a sky train. It's befuddling. 

In short, you can't do it on your own. You need to get a significant other or have family members to even be able to qualify for mortgages. Even if you made $150,000 you would need $115,000 as a down payment to qualify for a mortgage to buy a townhouse in Langley.  It's not just greater Vancouver either you try to buy anywhere in BC and the prices are absurd. 

Honestly, as much as I hate to say it you're better off in Alberta. Even though Albertans are complaining about housing prices there you can get a much better home brand new GST included with property, not just like a 5ft yard, for approx $450,000. You could get that same Langley townhouse in Calgary for about $300,000. 

Vancouver is also not a dog-friendly city. It is nearly impossible to find a place that rents and allows you to have a dog even harder if you have a large breed dog.

BC Liberal Party has destroyed the lower mainland / southern van island communities.....   GREED , Greed and more GREED.

Hopefully , the party is wiped out next election as people now are seeing the damage that was done....

Archived