The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kovalchuk and Willie D Dynamic

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-kovalchuk-dont-chance-playing-coach-desjardins/

Willie D strikes again.  Scratches Kovalchuk for a 7th D.  It’s like he builds his lineup to be controversial rather than with an actual plan in mind.  He’s hands down my least favourite coach the canucks ever had.

Hard to have sympathy for Kovalchuk but I actually do in this case.

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-kovalchuk-dont-chance-playing-coach-desjardins/

Willie D strikes again.  Scratches Kovalchuk for a 7th D.  It’s like he builds his lineup to be controversial rather than with an actual plan in mind.  He’s hands down my least favourite coach the canucks ever had.

@aGENT

Just going to leave this here lol

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Mine is Keenan as the all time worst coach with WD a distant second.

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

I do not pity the Kings. Though It really must suck to be the GM of a team so terribly coached. 

4 minutes ago, 6string said:

Mine is Keenan as the all time worst coach with WD a distant second.

Yup, Keenan is the biggest piece of $&!# to ever coach for the nux. Such an a**hole.

WD was like the lovable but senile Grandpa for the first few years. Then I kinda sat there wondering when Grandpa was going to die, or just wander off and never be seen again.

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Yup, Keenan is the biggest piece of $&!# to ever coach for the nux. Such an a**hole.

WD was like the lovable but senile Grandpa for the first few years. Then I kinda sat there wondering when Grandpa was going to die, or just wander off and never be seen again.

Keenan was the crazy uncle you never wanted to be alone with.  WD was the uncle who was nice but soiled his garmets (which you had to change).

I think Keenan also holds the distinction of being the only head coach to win both a Stanley Cup and whatever that equivalent is in the KHL.  Some guys are just lucky.

30 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Keenan was the crazy uncle you never wanted to be alone with.  WD was the uncle who was nice but soiled his garmets (which you had to change).

I think Keenan also holds the distinction of being the only head coach to win both a Stanley Cup and whatever that equivalent is in the KHL.  Some guys are just lucky.

no where in Canuck history will you find Mike Keenan GM, but he made the first Bertuzzi trade

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Problem was his motivation for that deal was spite instead of the good of the franchise.  We are just lucky that it ended up working out ok.

and you know this how?

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think you are forgetting Bill Laforge.

LaForge was 32 years old when hired to coach in the National Hockey League. LaForge was announced as the new head coach of the Vancouver Canucks for the 1984-85 NHL season, the day after the semifinal game of the 1984 Memorial Cup.[32] Canucks general manager Harry Neale chose LaForge over Mike Keenan, believing that LaForge would motivate the often laid-back NHL team.[10]LaForge's NHL coaching career began with a 2–5 loss to the Quebec Nordiques, then a 6–5 overtime win versus the Los Angeles Kings.[33] Vancouver then went on a nine-game losing streak, including losses of 2–13 to the Philadelphia Flyers, 0–7 to the Edmonton Oilers,and 3–10 to the Los Angeles Kings. Frustration was evident in the loss to the Flyers which included seven fights and two brawls.[34]LaForge lasted only twenty games into the 1984–85 Vancouver Canucks season, being fired by Neale after a 1–5 loss to the St. Louis Blues on November 20, with only four wins and two ties.[12]

Just now, lmm said:

and you know this how?

Keenan's overall conduct while he destroyed our franchise and let Messier float around like the lazy piece of garbage that he is while being a cancer in the room.

Keenan wanted Linden out because he was one of the few leaders left who still cared about winning. 

I think Bill LaForge still wins worst coach

That said, for all you who didn't like Shania playing after the win the other night, Bill had the Canucks singing his own tune after games, (or maybe it was before)

however

isn't the quote below what some of us want from our team?

One thing I will be teaching is how to hit. We'll use football hitting and tackling dummies. P-H-D will bring success. You have to have "pride" in yourself and your team. "Hustle" for yourself and your team, and you have to have "desire" for yourself and your team.

— Bill LaForge [13]

Bill LaForge, a man before his time.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

LA hired him for a reason. They want Jack Hughes.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I think Bill LaForge still wins worst coach

That said, for all you who didn't like Shania playing after the win the other night, Bill had the Canucks singing his own tune after games, (or maybe it was before)

however

isn't the quote below what some of us want from our team?

One thing I will be teaching is how to hit. We'll use football hitting and tackling dummies. P-H-D will bring success. You have to have "pride" in yourself and your team. "Hustle" for yourself and your team, and you have to have "desire" for yourself and your team.

— Bill LaForge [13]

Bill LaForge, a man before his time.

Bill LaForge was before my time but Keenan I recall.  He certainly tried to be the center of attention and was something I can’t state on these forums. Willie D just infuriated me because he was quiet and subtle in what he did but did it for reaction.  Always made the wrong choice.

Archived