The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where Would We Be, If...

Nuxfanabroad

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

In other words, Accidentally

Looks like we’re on the same page now, ON. 

You and I perceive 'accidentally' differently, however.

You guys tend to frame it as incompetence - as if management believe they can contend, but fail hopelessly.

That's not my take - at all.

Where we are on the same page is not considering the short term results to be particularly important.

For me, though, there's a point at which the Buffalos, Edmontons and Torontos make a mockery of the integrity of the league.

The logical consequence of those approaches - is that people should not buy tickets to their tank games.  Obvious contradiction between competitive, professional sports - and lining up for affirmative-action draft position handouts.

When GMs like Tim Murray are crying on television because their tank fail resulted in a mere 2nd overall - the league is on the cusp of bush.

I would distinguish that from what Benning has done.  In previous seasons, he may have left their depth a little sparse and took a calculated risk that key injuries would have fairly deep-running results.  This season, that is less the case - probably  in part due to the serious intention to make sure they have the complementary players to enable EP et al - whereas the past few years, hanging the Sedins or other placeholders out to dry - not so much an issue.  Heading into this deadline however, without players like Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, Roussel, etc - fair enough to make a move like the Gudbranson one that thins out your blueline in the shorter run - but enables them to play guys like Sautner, Brisebois.  I may not be a big fan of the move, but I'm not going to characterize it in the same vein as the shameless tankshows, under considerably different conditions, carried out by some of the weakest GMs in the business.

50 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You and I perceive 'accidentally' differently, however.

You guys tend to frame it as incompetence - as if management believe they can contend, but fail hopelessly.

That's not my take - at all.

Where we are on the same page is not considering the short term results to be particularly important.

For me, though, there's a point at which the Buffalos, Edmontons and Torontos make a mockery of the integrity of the league.

The logical consequence of those approaches - is that people should not buy tickets to their tank games.  Obvious contradiction between competitive, professional sports - and lining up for affirmative-action draft position handouts.

When GMs like Tim Murray are crying on television because their tank fail resulted in a mere 2nd overall - the league is on the cusp of bush.

I would distinguish that from what Benning has done.  In previous seasons, he may have left their depth a little sparse and took a calculated risk that key injuries would have fairly deep-running results.  This season, that is less the case - probably  in part due to the serious intention to make sure they have the complementary players to enable EP et al - whereas the past few years, hanging the Sedins or other placeholders out to dry - not so much an issue.  Heading into this deadline however, without players like Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, Roussel, etc - fair enough to make a move like the Gudbranson one that thins out your blueline in the shorter run - but enables them to play guys like Sautner, Brisebois.  I may not be a big fan of the move, but I'm not going to characterize it in the same vein as the shameless tankshows, under considerably different conditions, carried out by some of the weakest GMs in the business.

Nobody will fault you for your virtue by-proxy concerning Tanking. Pretty safe place to post from, if I’m being totally honest. I think JB has knowingly built an IR roster, which is a form of Tanking. You have your views on that and I have mine. Anyways...

I’m always impressed with how well you can articulate your points.

You’re like the eloquent Ron McLean to us Cherrys in here. 

Even when I perceive that you’re wrong about something, you still manage to hammer out a debate class-worthy rebuttal or point which is invariably hard to argue against.

You always look good, on paper, ON. I don’t view you as any kind of Hockey guru, but you sure can write. Not to say I don’t think you’re a knowledgeable hockey fan, not at all. I just don’t want your head to get any fatter. 

Instead of posting here, why not write the site’s blogs or other pieces for the team? I’d read them and I’m guessing anyone else reading this pet-fest post would to.

Why not put Botch out of work? Do it. 

I’m not certain if you have of course, but I’m guessing you’ve spent plenty of time in English class. You can spin $&!# into gold, no matter where you’re coming from. No offence ON, but it’s honestly impressive and I’m envious of your command of the language and your capacity to successfully frame your arguments the way you can. 

You should write for the Canucks.

You post enough here to show you have the time and desire and you seriously can’t be any worse than the stale journalist-core covering the Canucks. 

On 3/24/2019 at 4:44 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

...we'd been healthy? Some don't have time for hypotheticals, but I think it's fair to ponder this question. Imagining we'd been on the lower range of the spectrum(say, 50-75 man games lost to injury). That's quite a leap, considering our recent seasonal-trends..but doesn't the "law of averages" indicate we're due for a healthy yr? Let's hope.

I guess we'd be around 82-85 pts, had our roster stayed that intact.

1- Maybe we don't make the Leivo trade, if there were no injuries? I think the Gud, MDZ, Gagme & Nils ones were probably destined to happen.

2- Still don't think we'd have made noise in playoffs, had we squeaked in(too early in rebuild)

3- Fortunately the injuries were mostly to elder players. Better the kids to stay in one piece, & we could give some depth-youth a gander.

4- Psychologically, I think our youth are fine with the season's trajectory. They realize we came up short, but injuries played their part. The kids know they make up over 50% of the team's offense, & more good ones are in the pipeline. They've gained valuable experience to assist the 2019/20 prospect wave, that seem to keep rolling in.

5- Wherever we wind up drafting(perhaps #7 or 8 OA?), you can probably tack on 8-10 slots lower, if we'd finished in WC-range. In 2017 & 2018 we can see how valuable these high picks are. It's more important(IMHO) that we land at least one more.

So many haters & trolls getting their cheap shots, slights & digs in. Guess it's a crappy existence, or just the kinda fuel they run on? This crap won't deter true fans of BC's Canucks!

As I see it, not hard for fans of this team to view many aspects of this season(90% done) as a fine success. Our youth have learned a lot, & will be eager, hungry & a little more savvy next season.

To JB, the coaches & players, I sure look forward to the continued progression in our young cast next season. Thanks gents for your dedicated efforts!

where would we be if we:

didn't fire Mike Sulivan?

Didn't trade Bonino + for Sutter?

Didn't sign Loui Eriksson?

Didn't trade a 2nd for Vey?

Traded Tanev after the 6th major injury?

Didn't let Hamius walk?

Hired Bieksa to teach Virtanen how to fight

went back to the flying V?

1 hour ago, lmm said:

where would we be if we:

didn't fire Mike Sulivan?

Didn't trade Bonino + for Sutter?

Didn't sign Loui Eriksson?

Didn't trade a 2nd for Vey?

Traded Tanev after the 6th major injury?

Didn't let Hamius walk?

Hired Bieksa to teach Virtanen how to fight

went back to the flying V?

and let cdc run the team. perfect.

If we were one of the luckier teams in the league instead of one of the unluckiest (leading the lead in goal posts, decimated by injuries constantly) I wouldn't be surprised if we made the playoffs.

However, the team isn't deep/good enough to fight through injuries and not deep/good enough to make noise in the playoffs if they were lucky enough to get in.

Would have made for some valuable experience for the young players though (not to mention Aquaman's wallet getting fatter).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, had we been relatively healthy, it's easy to imagine a ballpark-total of 88-92 pts to end this season. We would've been in the WC fight right up to the last wknd. Perhaps a coin flip to decide if they had enough to make it?

Going forwards, we have 5 or 6 mediocre pieces/contracts that need to be swapped into more youth/size/speed. That said, every yr this evolving roster is becoming deeper to deal with rough patches of injury-waves.

If 50-70% of our highly-touted prospects fulfill their projections, I can't see why this team won't achieve 100 pts by the 2020-21 season. It'll be sustainable too, with our key guys being so young & dedicated.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:40 PM, 6string said:

To close out the season I sure hope they sit Eriksson for most of it and dedicate their time to player development or evaluation for next year's camp.

I think LE is a lazy player and could do a whole lot better if his complete level was brought up. He needs to be called out and sat when he doesn't perform.  

3 hours ago, thrago said:

It's really hard to not be getting excited about this team. There are so many positives. The biggest is that the core of the team is very young and only going to get better with time.

And will be adding to that at the draft. We will be getting a player in the same vicinty as Horvat.  Could be really exciting next year especially if we can offload some deadweight and insert some Utica 

The thing I like most about Bennings tenure here to date is the prospects we’ve gotten through our draft picks. The thing I don’t like is through 6 years of rebuilding the inability to add more picks like every other team does while rebuilding.

where would we be if??? They didn’t let the idea of making the playoffs deter them from holding onto vets too long and not getting more draft picks to work with at the top of the draft.

We’ve been picking in the top 9 for 6 of the last 7 years and the only other top 60 pick we acquired was because Columbus signed Torts.

Where could we be if we had those extra picks? Or even all of our own 2nd rounders? Do we take Debrincat with our 2nd in 2016 while short was clearly BPA or even Vince Dunn who went past our traded 2nd round pick in 2015.

21 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think LE is a lazy player and could do a whole lot better if his complete level was brought up. He needs to be called out and sat when he doesn't perform.  

I think LE is a smart player who has lost his wheels and his hands.

He is positionally sound, wins board battles and makes desent passes, but he is slow and cannot hit the net. (although he is pretty good at hitting the goalie)

Too bad he has something like 14 children and 12 million reasons not to retire  

58 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

where would we be if??? They didn’t let the idea of making the playoffs deter them from holding onto vets too long and not getting more draft picks to work with at the top of the draft.

which vets are you referring to?  where do you propose they 'should have' acquired top of the draft picks?

15 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think LE is a smart player who has lost his wheels and his hands.

He is positionally sound, wins board battles and makes desent passes, but he is slow and cannot hit the net. (although he is pretty good at hitting the goalie)

Too bad he has something like 14 children and 12 million reasons not to retire  

When I see him have particular great games when we play Boston for example I tend to think his heart is not really in it most of the time . Look at the drop off in his stats from the year he left Boston to the following year when he joined the Canucks. I think the attributes you listed are true he is smart and in position.  I just think the physical effort to bring his game up is missing. Not good enough IMO.  

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

When I see him have particular great games when we play Boston for example I tend to think his heart is not really in it most of the time . Look at the drop off in his stats from the year he left Boston to the following year when he joined the Canucks. I think the attributes you listed are true he is smart and in position.  I just think the physical effort to bring his game up is missing. Not good enough IMO.  

remember he plays for team mindcheck, maybe he is depressed

or do you think he just took us to the cleaners on a retirement contract  ?

do you think he actually thought the Sedins had more magic when  he signed and became disallusioned when they did not,

or was it a case of "look at all those Swedes with NTCs"

Archived