The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Put Jake Virtanen on the PK?

runtzguy

Virtanen on the PK? Yay or nay?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been wondering what Jake Virtanen can be used for since he can't really play in the top 6 role because he lacks the IQ for it and he certainly can't play as the third winger on a top 6 because he doesn't go and hunt for the puck like Roussel, Burrows or Jannick Hansen. Also, Jake doesn't really know how to use his 200 pound frame to protect the puck from the opposing team. 

The thing he can do well is skate straight really fast and sometimes past the Dman. But he doesn't crash the net so he doesn't really generate much scoring chances when he does.

My suggestion is to put him in the PK role and have him kill some penalties and also maybe get some short-handed goals. Jake Virtanen speed can be a great benefit to the PK because he can always race off for a breakaway and his speed and size will force the High D on the offensive team to think twice about holding the puck for too long.

Jake Virtanen can model his game over Micheal Grabner's in Coyotes and a season ago in NYR. Grabner had a-lot of breakaway chances and scored a good amount of breakaway goals on the PK. 

I said no, but reading your guys' comments, I wanna change it to yes. PK is more for cerebral vets though, which Jake may become. Or he might just be what he is. I miss Jake hammering guys, seems like he's caught between wanting to score and be offensive for the big bucks, and commiting to a long 15 year career being a chippy grinder.

Remember Kassian? 

See alot of similarities in their d zone play as young powerforwards (ie. Kass when he was here)... Now Kass is looking like one of the leagues most reliable penalty killers. 

As some like to say about young powerforwards; they have all the tools but no tool box. Looks like Kass has finally organized all his tools in his new box.

What's keeping Jake from doing the same?  

2 hours ago, runtzguy said:

I have been wondering what Jake Virtanen can be used for since he can't really play in the top 6 role because he lacks the IQ for it and he certainly can't play as the third winger on a top 6 because he doesn't go and hunt for the puck like Roussel, Burrows or Jannick Hansen. Also, Jake doesn't really know how to use his 200 pound frame to protect the puck from the opposing team. 

The thing he can do well is skate straight really fast and sometimes past the Dman. But he doesn't crash the net so he doesn't really generate much scoring chances when he does.

My suggestion is to put him in the PK role and have him kill some penalties and also maybe get some short-handed goals. Jake Virtanen speed can be a great benefit to the PK because he can always race off for a breakaway and his speed and size will force the High D on the offensive team to think twice about holding the puck for too long.

Jake Virtanen can model his game over Micheal Grabner's in Coyotes and a season ago in NYR. Grabner had a-lot of breakaway chances and scored a good amount of breakaway goals on the PK. 

you need the iq to penalty kill   like you said jake doesn't have the iq 

59 minutes ago, LeanBeef said:

Remember Kassian? 

See alot of similarities in their d zone play as young powerforwards (ie. Kass when he was here)... Now Kass is looking like one of the leagues most reliable penalty killers. 

As some like to say about young powerforwards; they have all the tools but no tool box. Looks like Kass has finally organized all his tools in his new box.

What's keeping Jake from doing the same?  

Maturity.  I don't believe Kassian would've ever been a good PKer with the Canucks.  He just wasn't ready to be that type of player.

Archived