The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trust the Process, Canucks Edition

Zigmund.Palffy

223670-150911641893523.png

Cmon Canuck Fans, 

All I am hearing is , JIM BENNING NEEDS TO GO! TRAVIS GREEN SUCKS AT COACHING... BLAH BLAH BLAH...

What JB has done with this franchise, we should be happy in what he has accomplished thus far... ( except for the ERIKSSON SIGNING) 

Canucks future is very very bright, we are just getting over the hump with our core players developing into greatness,

Elias Pettersson

Brock Boeser

Bo Horvat

Quinn Hughes

Thatcher Demko

are the core players you want to build around.. 

With the canucks likely out of the playoff race, we are just one more building block piece away from being a very very dangerous team. 

We just need that one more Bonafide Scoring prospect in the top 6 or another Top 2 defencemen away to make us complete. (of course FA will have to play apart of it aswell) 

But, We cant call for JB's head here, the season is a success in my mind, for the players as they now know what it takes to win games down the stretch, 

Travis Green will learn from this as well and get better as a coach next year, with the pieces that he had this year he actually managed it pretty well (with injuries as well)

Next year we will be competing for a playoff spot for sure, Im freaking excited for next year.

Canuck fans, keep our head up, regardless of what pick we select in the first round this upcoming draft, we for sure getting another solid prospect regardless.

I TRUST THE PROCESS GOING FORWARD, 

Do you?

GO CANUCKS GO!!

Well let’s see some of those core players (the last two) play some meaningful games in the NHL (or how we n the case of Demko, more than a handful of games) before labeling them core.  Patience is required on those two positions before burdening them with that label.  Team still has some serious issues on the blueline.

I just left this comment in a status update but it's on topic here as well.

We are on the right track. Not only that, we are actually on an enviable track... Our prospect pool is widely regarded as one of the best prospect pools in the league. I don't understand what people are expecting at this stage in the rebuild, accumulating great prospects is the hardest part of a rebuild, and we've done that already. Next hardest part is patience I suppose - at least in this insane market  anyways. I honestly don't understand why people are even unhappy with him. Has he been perfect, no. But if you're expecting any GM on the planet to come in and not make any mistakes (which you have the benefit to evaluate in hindsight), then you're going to be calling for the next GMs head in a couple of years too.

Patience, people, patience...

26 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

All I am hearing is , JIM BENNING NEEDS TO GO! TRAVIS GREEN SUCKS AT COACHING... BLAH BLAH BLAH...

People tend to be fickle - at least around here.

But if that's all you're hearing....who are you listening to?

Some great picks by Benning (Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette, Hughes, Woo) and one real good one from Gillis (Horvat)

It helps a team when they pick high. But sometimes even high picks don't work out as expected (eg. Virtanen and Juolevi)

Most of a the signings and trades haven't worked out either, but a few have:

Stecher

Motte

Beagle

Roussel

Leivo

Schenn

MacEwen

I give Benning a C+ so far.

He still needs to really improve the team though.

2014/15 - 101 pts (made the playoffs)

2015/16 - 75 pts (missed the playoffs)

2016/17 - 69 pts (missed the playoffs)

2017/18 - 73 pts (missed the playoffs)

2018/19 - currently at 74 pts (will miss the playoffs)

It appears they are slowly turning a corner, but it could still be years before they are contenders again.

Its easy to say we have one of the deepest prospect pools we've had in a decade, A + B = C. This team has been, and is BAD, we should have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league or Benning would have been fired 2 years ago based on the other parts of his work. 

I think he survives the year and is canned in 2020, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if he's let go tomorrow. 

While I agree with the premise of the original post, I would say we are more than  "building block piece away from being a very very dangerous team". 

IMHO:

We are one building block piece (top 6 fwd or top 4 dman) from being a legit playoff contender

We are two building block pieces away from being a legit threat to win a round or two in the playoffs

We are two or three building block pieces plus an upgrade on two or three non-building block pieces away from being a very very dangerous team

We have some players where their "level" still needs to be established: Leivo, Virtanen, etc

We have some prospects where their "level" still needs to be established: Demko, Hughes, etc

We have about a half dozen 13th and 14th fwds currently on our roster, and 4 7th/8th dmen. 

Stick with the plan, build through the draft.   

I trust JB's judgement more with the amateur draft than I do with FA's and trades frankly.    

Building through the draft is a far more long-term sustainable model in today's nhl imo.  

People keep saying we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, but I don't see it. Where's the results in Utica? Prospects are players not in the NHL. Our NHL team was so bad that all our prospects have skipped the AHL, and gone straight to the show.

Hughes is by far our best prospect, followed by Olli Juolevi, and then probably one of Sautner/Brisboise/Woo. None of our forward picks are exactly "lighting up the A"

Sorry if I seem a little doom and gloom, I just haven't seen anything that screams our prospect pool is deep.

This is what they really have. They have a loooong way to go:

_____ - Pettersson - Boeser

_____ - Horvat - _____

Pearson - Gaudette - Leivo

Roussel - Beagle - Virtanen

Motte

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Woo

Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

Tanev, Juolevi and Virtanen are also question marks. I put in Woo, as I think he's got NHL Player written all over him. He'll be good. I did not include Lockwood, Madden, Gadjovoch, Lind  etc., because they might not even make the NHL. We don't know. I also didn't include several current players, because I don't think they make the team better and should be moved. (Sutter, Goldobin, Pouliot, Spooner, Baertschi, Schaller, Eriksson, Granlund)

Is that really all your hearing OP?

I've heard and read a minority of people calling for firings and trades, and the majority in here are on board for the direction this team and our future are heading.

Maybe play the victim card a little softer, or skip it completely.

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some great picks by Benning (Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette, Hughes, Woo) and one real good one from Gillis (Horvat)

It helps a team when they pick high. But sometimes even high picks don't work out as expected (eg. Virtanen and Juolevi)

Most of a the signings and trades haven't worked out either, but a few have:

Stecher

Motte

Beagle

Roussel

Leivo

Schenn

MacEwen

I give Benning a C+ so far.

He still needs to really improve the team though.

2014/15 - 101 pts (made the playoffs)

2015/16 - 75 pts (missed the playoffs)

2016/17 - 69 pts (missed the playoffs)

2017/18 - 73 pts (missed the playoffs)

2018/19 - currently at 74 pts (will miss the playoffs)

It appears they are slowly turning a corner, but it could still be years before they are contenders again.

Picks that look great so far:

Demko, Tryamkin, Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood (very underrated warrior on these boards imo - think Motte with higher offensive upside, and a bit more of an edge), Pettersson, DiPietro, Rathbone, Hughes, Madden.

To accumulate that many great prospects over the span of 5 drafts is a great feat by itself.

Picks that look good so far:

Brisebois, Lind, Woo, Madden. These guys all have solid NHL potential. To a (much) lesser extent, Palmu, Gadjovich and Brassard are in this category as well.

The only "misses" so far are Virtanen and Juolevi. Again, we are evaluating in hindsight, and that's an unheralded batting average over the span of 5 years in my books, but if you're expecting someone to come in and bat 1.000 then you're always going to be disappointed. But it seems you already have a very reasonable grasp on this so moving on :)

I'd actually argue that most of the trades/signings have worked out. The only ones that really have not worked out would be Gudbranson (but he was looking great on Florida at the time of the trade), Eriksson, Gagner and Schaller (very minor). The names you mentioned, which I agree with, outnumber the ones that have not worked out. We can call it a draw if you're so inclined.

We are set for forward and goalie depth imo. What's left is the defence which he has publicly mentioned that he will address this summer. So I can't wait to see how the team looks next year.

I'd give him an B+/A- so far because he's done a great job filling up the barren cupboards he inherited over the past 5 years, which is actually a fairly short time period to accumulate that much quality players.

The biggest thing that is often glossed over imo is the long term. Do you see the team doing well long term under JB? Personally, I'm extremely excited when I think about the team's future and how sustainable our success can be under JB. With management's drafting and development and JB2 - Judd Bracket - at the helm of the scouting department, we can have quality prospects on entry level contracts consistently replacing players on the team that might be underperforming. This also allows us to move assets and get good prospects/picks back. Accumulating resources allows us to go after quality players on the trade market, it would put our team in a great position to attract free agents, and the best part: it is sustainable :canucks:

EDIT: Had Woo under great and good picks, so removed him from the great pick category in the interest of being conservative.

I believe Benning is a much better drafter than Gillis was. But realistically, out of the 5 Drafts Benning has been at the helm, I think he is 3 for 5 with his 1sts.

Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes were superb picks

Juolevi and Virtanen were misfires IMO. Yes, Canucks still have them, and hopefully they turn into real good NHL players one day. Olli has been a slow work in progress and has had some unfortunate injury woes. And if Jake was a smarter player he would be in the Top 6, but he's not a very smart player and would probably look a bit lost playing with Pettersson or Horvat. Those top two lines need playmakers. Jake is not a playmaker.

Let's see who (UFAs) Benning signs this off-season. Does he improve the team by going after a Ferland or Panarin? Or will he sign another Gagner clone to patch a hole?

2 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

223670-150911641893523.png

Cmon Canuck Fans, 

What JB has done with this franchise, we should be happy in what he has accomplished thus far... ( except for the ERIKSSON SIGNING) 

Canucks future is very very bright, we are just getting over the hump with our core players developing into greatness,

Elias Pettersson

Brock Boeser

Bo Horvat

Quinn Hughes

Thatcher Demko

are the core players you want to build around.. 

With the canucks likely out of the playoff race, we are just one more building block piece away from being a very very dangerous team. 

We just need that one more Bonafide Scoring prospect in the top 6 or another Top 2 defencemen away to make us complete. (of course FA will have to play apart of it aswell) 

But, We cant call for JB's head here, the season is a success in my mind, for the players as they now know what it takes to win games down the stretch, 

Travis Green will learn from this as well and get better as a coach next year, with the pieces that he had this year he actually managed it pretty well (with injuries as well)

Next year we will be competing for a playoff spot for sure, Im freaking excited for next year.

Canuck fans, keep our head up, regardless of what pick we select in the first round this upcoming draft, we for sure getting another solid prospect regardless.

I TRUST THE PROCESS GOING FORWARD, 

Do you?

GO CANUCKS GO!!

The only way Green learnt something is if he didn't want to reach play off this season. If so I understand his meddling with lines because he is testing for the next season. 

Way too much anti benning talk on the radio... 

Half the guys that want JB gone are the same guys that flamed him for not taking Cody glass (I also wanted glass... Lol!) 

We're in great hands with Jim. 

As for Travis, if you can hire Quenville go for it. 

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Way too much anti benning talk on the radio... 

Half the guys that want JB gone are the same guys that flamed him for not taking Cody glass (I also wanted glass... Lol!) 

We're in great hands with Jim. 

As for Travis, if you can hire Quenville go for it. 

NO TO QUENNVILLE

he does not play young guys if they make a mistake, not good for rebuild at all.

Joel was lucky to have Kane and Toews to have fully developed to NHL players before taking the Head coaching position.

Archived