The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Where are we today

Let's look at our future lineup and who we have to plug into it. 

Lets consider how we fill those spots and what it does for us.

#1 LWer                  Pettersson                    Boeser                                                    Virtanen

Pearson                    Horvat                        #2 RW (Granlund)                                   Goldobin

Rousell                     Gaudette                     Eriksson                                                  Sutter

Leivo                          Beagle                       MacEwen                                                Spooner

Baertschi

Hughes                     #2 RHD                                                                      Schaller

Edler                        Stecher                                                                      Hutton

#5 LHD                       Tanev                                                                        Motte

Biega

Markstrom

Demko

So, I am feeling this are 4 positions that need to be filled to make us a solid contender, and with enough young players to add that speed and kill, and enough veteran presence to help the young guys with their focus and on and off ice play.

When you look at it, it is not really that huge, and I would look honestly at moving any of the veteran players on the right for players that may fit our needs...…….

Now looking first at the defense, you will see, I have moved Edler down to a second pairing and Tanev down into a third pairing, which is designed to reduce their responsibilities and therefore reducing their injures, and at the same time being in a position to give veteran leadership. I think filling in these spots, makes us a solid contender, with a future. I do not see, any of the players on the right as a solution to what we need.

So, let's try to fill these spots...……..

1st Line LWer...………...the is a UFA fill in spot...….you do not have teams trading this types of players, and waiting for a draft pick to maybe develop into one, is not a wise decision

2nd Line RWer…………this player can be picked up via UFA/Trade/Drafting

#2 RHD...……………….this position should be filled either by draft (3/4 years), UFA, Trade

#5 LHD...………………..this position can be filled in by internal promotion, draft or trade

Here are my candidates for these positions...primary and secondary

#1 LWer...…………….Panarin (10+) Skinner (8+), Duchene (8+)...………...you pay the bucks to fill in the hole...……..Take Duchene at 8 Million....(P Kane is a favorite in SJ)

# 2 RHD...…………….Pesce(4), Myers (7+), Karlsson (10+)……………….Trading for Pesce will be expensive, but what he brings to the game for the price is awesome

#5 LHD...……………..Tryamkin (4+)…………………………………………...Easily makes this team at that spot (2 year X 4 Million 1 way)..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duchene                  Pettersson                    Boeser                                                  Virtanen

Pearson                    Horvat                        #2 RW (Granlund)                                   Baertschi

Rousell                     Gaudette                     Eriksson                                                  Sutter - Trade - Teams are wanting him - 2019 2nd +

Leivo                          Beagle                       MacEwen                                                Hutton - Trade - Teams will pay - 2020 2nd

Motte                                                                                        Spooner - Trade - Teams will pay a 2020 5th

Goldobin - Trade - Teams will pay a 2020 2nd 

Hughes                     Pesce                                                                        Schaller - Trade - Teams will pay a 2020 6th

Edler                         Stecher                                                                      

Tryamkin                  Tanev

Biega                                                                         

Markstrom

Demko

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we have to get Brett Pesce from Carolina, who have a ton of Defenseman, but need wingers...…………….

Vancouver trades ………...Jake Virtanen + Sven Baertschi + 2020 1st (unprotected) + Lind + Juolevi

for

Carolina trades...………….Brett Pesce + 2019 1st

This guy is perfect for Hugh, and adds stability to the blue line that we do not have, he is a core piece and Carolina will not want to give him up, we actually may not be adding enough, which is why the 2020 1st in unprotected and Virtanen is in the trade. Pesce is the ticket and everyone wants him. His $4,000,000 dollar contract set for the next 5 years, is a great cost controlled contract, and allows us to spend money in other places.

Brett Pesce………………..24 years old, 6'3",  206lbs, …………..66 games  7 G -19 A - 26 pts...…+33

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Signing Duchene...….I am sure this at first taste, doesn't taste all that good, but all Duchene has done is score goals and make his team mates better, Duchene is a driver, and will help Pettersson move the defense back. Duchene is quick, with good speed, high IQ and hands. Duchene is the guy!

Getting Tryamkin, makes a world of difference and should be able to control his side of the zone as Tanev will his side, With Tryamkin and Pesce playing Tanev never plays another Penalty killing minute, which should go a very long way to keeping his shins intact.(Tanev would be a trade Candidate going forward, as Woo comes on board

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, In the 2019 Draft first Round we take one of the following...…….

2019 1st (9th OA)……Turcotte, Boldy, Krebs, Dach all great players, would not feel bad taking any of these...….PS if we win the lottery, we take Kakko, Hughes, Byram.

2019 1st (20th OA)…..Seider, Lavoie

Let's keep it simple,  stick with the plan - build through the draft. 

It's clear this organization needs more depth at every position and at different age/ experience levels.

The draft it is then....

I agree with @Fanuck, build through the draft and maybe even take on a bad contract for a mid first or something.

Another very real option is offer sheets this summer. Id have no problem going after Kapanen or Johnsson this offseason. Hell maybe even both. Though I think its more likely a trade gets done around these guy.

Kapanen for Virtanen?

Last year Calgary finished with 84 points, 11th in the West and out of the playoffs.  They then made some trades and free agent signings and voila, they are currently 1st in the West.

So the point that the OP is making is valid.  Building through the draft alone is not realistic. No team has ever done that.  At some logical point you have to pull the trigger on some trades and UFA's to complete your team .

The question is, when is the right time to do it.  Should the Canucks stay the course, develop youngsters and not make big trades/UFA signings for another year or two - or do you want them making those moves this offseason?

This is the key decision for Benning's tenure as GM.  If he gets it right the team wins and he keeps his job.  If he gets it wrong...

Despite how it sounds, I am a Benning fan an I've always been pulling for him. But lately, I'm frustrated at the way things are going. I want this team to win games, and I'm tired of welcoming a reclamation player who would be almost out of the league for various reasons, and expecting that player to make a difference. I see other teams making positive changes to their roster, making them faster, tougher, better. So they have to spend some big money, so what. For what they charge for tickets, parking, food, merch, etc. when going to the games, I want to see a good team. Maybe they feel we're not smart enough, that if they flash Pettersson's mug all over the place, Canucks fans will forget how bad this team actually is.   

I have no problem with Benning signing a UFA or two to join the team, help them get over the hump. Problem is, Benning doesn't sign great players, so are they really helping or are they just temporary spots to fill until youngens like Jasek and Dahlen I mean Karlsson are ready? Are they waiting for these guys to break down the door? lol I'm really not sure what Benning is doing, but it seems like they have a long list of bottom 6 players they don't know what to do with now (Eriksson, Sutter, Schaller, Spooner, Granlund). Good luck trading those guys.

This team needs scoring, but Benning won't make the deals required to bring in great players who can score goals. He expects the mediocre players he signs cheap to have rebound years and excel with the fresh start. I really hope he takes things more seriously this off season and makes at least one big deal to improve the team. If it wasn't for Pettersson's outstanding rookie season and Markstrom taking his game to another level, this team would be worse than last year. 

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ferland/Baer                  Pettersson                    Boeser                                                   

Pearson                    Horvat                        Jake/Connelly                                  

Rousell                     Gaudette                     Sutter                                                  

Leivo                          Beagle                       Motte                                               

Schaller                                                                                                                                    

Hughes                     Myers/Stralman                                                                    

Edler                        Stecher                                                                      

Hutton                      Tanev/Virtanen trade                                                                     

Breisbois/Juolevi      Biega/Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

I'd say free agency could potentially be used for two of those spots: Ferland could potentially be a partner with Petey's line. Stralman or Myers are clearly an upgrade on the RHD side. Signing any 2/3 of these guys won't be future cap prohibitive and provide solid upgrades. If Jake is moved, Connelly would be an interesting signing. 

But that LHD spot and #2RW spot can be filled, next season at least, by Hutty and Jake. We dont *have to* go out any get anyone in free agency for those roles, unless Jake is traded for a right side d. 

If Jim could somehow trade Loui that would help on the cap, but I think we still need Sutter for one more year to help Gaudette. AG's not ready for full time 3C and being on a line with Sutter both improves the matchup capability and lets AG develop and not overmatch too much.

Given Green's benching ways, I think Goldy might be tempted to sign a nice fat KHL deal. 

I think Schaller makes the team, and Motte starts the year over MacEwan.

So that leaves Spooner and Baer. Baer stays if we can't sign anyone else. Spooner should look for a condo in upstate NY. 

i think JB will pick up 2 d-men and draft a couple more. i think they will also trade for another winger. i could see roussel as a top 6 winger, ala burrows. we need another goal scorer for bo’s line.  i also don’t think they will be able to move louie for one more year.    i’ld love them to trade for roland mckeown. 

The trainers and medical staff of this team should be considering different jobs because the amount of injuries year after year is suspect,

Bring in the Sedins to train some of these NHL player wanna bees and have a tough regiment of get in top shape or get lost in the minors.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Let's keep it simple,  stick with the plan - build through the draft. 

It's clear this organization needs more depth at every position and at different age/ experience levels.

The draft it is then....

I think your direction is what the team has succeeded with and is best at, at least with Benning in charge.  

Of course, it's not enough, as I'm sure you know, you were just sketching the overall emphasis and direction.

The addition to the draft-is-key approach is some kind of combination of asset management and trades.  The draft is never enough. Edler, Tanev, Eriksson: these guys all have to be dealt with in some way that benefits the team's future. 

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Let's look at our future lineup and who we have to plug into it. 

Lets consider how we fill those spots and what it does for us.

#1 LWer                  Pettersson                    Boeser                                                    Virtanen

Pearson                    Horvat                        #2 RW (Granlund)                                   Goldobin

Rousell                     Gaudette                     Eriksson                                                  Sutter

Leivo                          Beagle                       MacEwen                                                Spooner

Baertschi

Hughes                     #2 RHD                                                                      Schaller

Edler                        Stecher                                                                      Hutton

#5 LHD                       Tanev                                                                        Motte

Biega

Markstrom

Demko

So, I am feeling this are 4 positions that need to be filled to make us a solid contender, and with enough young players to add that speed and kill, and enough veteran presence to help the young guys with their focus and on and off ice play.

When you look at it, it is not really that huge, and I would look honestly at moving any of the veteran players on the right for players that may fit our needs...…….

Now looking first at the defense, you will see, I have moved Edler down to a second pairing and Tanev down into a third pairing, which is designed to reduce their responsibilities and therefore reducing their injures, and at the same time being in a position to give veteran leadership. I think filling in these spots, makes us a solid contender, with a future. I do not see, any of the players on the right as a solution to what we need.

So, let's try to fill these spots...……..

1st Line LWer...………...the is a UFA fill in spot...….you do not have teams trading this types of players, and waiting for a draft pick to maybe develop into one, is not a wise decision

2nd Line RWer…………this player can be picked up via UFA/Trade/Drafting

#2 RHD...……………….this position should be filled either by draft (3/4 years), UFA, Trade

#5 LHD...………………..this position can be filled in by internal promotion, draft or trade

Here are my candidates for these positions...primary and secondary

#1 LWer...…………….Panarin (10+) Skinner (8+), Duchene (8+)...………...you pay the bucks to fill in the hole...……..Take Duchene at 8 Million....(P Kane is a favorite in SJ)

# 2 RHD...…………….Pesce(4), Myers (7+), Karlsson (10+)……………….Trading for Pesce will be expensive, but what he brings to the game for the price is awesome

#5 LHD...……………..Tryamkin (4+)…………………………………………...Easily makes this team at that spot (2 year X 4 Million 1 way)..

Duchene                  Pettersson                    Boeser                                                  Virtanen

Pearson                    Horvat                        #2 RW (Granlund)                                   Baertschi

Rousell                     Gaudette                     Eriksson                                                  Sutter - Trade - Teams are wanting him - 2019 2nd +

Leivo                          Beagle                       MacEwen                                                Hutton - Trade - Teams will pay - 2020 2nd

Motte                                                                                        Spooner - Trade - Teams will pay a 2020 5th

Goldobin - Trade - Teams will pay a 2020 2nd 

Hughes                     Pesce                                                                        Schaller - Trade - Teams will pay a 2020 6th

Edler                         Stecher                                                                      

Tryamkin                  Tanev

Biega                                                                         

Markstrom

Demko

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we have to get Brett Pesce from Carolina, who have a ton of Defenseman, but need wingers...…………….

Vancouver trades ………...Jake Virtanen + Sven Baertschi + 2020 1st (unprotected) + Lind + Juolevi

for

Carolina trades...………….Brett Pesce + 2019 1st

This guy is perfect for Hugh, and adds stability to the blue line that we do not have, he is a core piece and Carolina will not want to give him up, we actually may not be adding enough, which is why the 2020 1st in unprotected and Virtanen is in the trade. Pesce is the ticket and everyone wants him. His $4,000,000 dollar contract set for the next 5 years, is a great cost controlled contract, and allows us to spend money in other places.

Brett Pesce………………..24 years old, 6'3",  206lbs, …………..66 games  7 G -19 A - 26 pts...…+33

Signing Duchene...….I am sure this at first taste, doesn't taste all that good, but all Duchene has done is score goals and make his team mates better, Duchene is a driver, and will help Pettersson move the defense back. Duchene is quick, with good speed, high IQ and hands. Duchene is the guy!

Getting Tryamkin, makes a world of difference and should be able to control his side of the zone as Tanev will his side, With Tryamkin and Pesce playing Tanev never plays another Penalty killing minute, which should go a very long way to keeping his shins intact.(Tanev would be a trade Candidate going forward, as Woo comes on board

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, In the 2019 Draft first Round we take one of the following...…….

2019 1st (9th OA)……Turcotte, Boldy, Krebs, Dach all great players, would not feel bad taking any of these...….PS if we win the lottery, we take Kakko, Hughes, Byram.

2019 1st (20th OA)…..Seider, Lavoie

A bold outline, and a useful post.

All I would add is that you define "future" -- do you mean next year or the year after that, or even a half year more than that.  This makes a big difference because some players we take for granted (and you include in the non-plug-in category) cannot possibly be in our future, either because of age or because of decline in ability, possibly due to injury.

1.  Edler will be too old very soon (he may be too old by next February) -- he has been absolutely awful far too often this year.  He is one of the main reasons this team is going nowhere fast this March. Against fast teams that excel at the rush/turnovers he is extremely vulnerable.  He won't be here when the team begins to approach competitiveness.

2.  Tanev cannot be counted on as a top 4 D or really any kind of D, because of injury, which can only get worse going forward.  A player who is unavailable is simply not appropriate to sketch into the future of a team.  The same holds true of Baertschi, which is I assume one of the reasons you put him on the sidebar, a good choice.

3. Eriksson is in the same boat as Edler, plus he is too expensive to keep, once Hughes, Boeser, Horvat and Pettersson begin to be paid at the level they deserve.  And this year's draft pick could be in that class too (what if Benning picks in the top 9 again?  He has been so good the last few drafts, that I would not discount the possibility that in as little as 2.5 years this summer's pick will be looking soon enough at Boeser money (Pettersson money is a different matter, agreed.) )

Players like Beagle are questionable as well due to age.  We have to see him as a filler.  Roussel is different, as might be Schaller, both are young enough.

Which suggests one or both of two things: (a) an accelerated turnover of fill in/2nd tier players for players/picks/prospects that will stick.

(b) picking a different type of FA than Schaller and Beagle, i.e., impact players to complement the newly drafted players.

What I'm saying is that "future players" available to us right now in our system could be fewer than you have outlined.  On the other hand, guys like Lind and Gadjovich may be better than their first year work in the AHL has suggested.  I certainly think there is a chance that Woo makes the Canucks next Fall.  (Juolevi is looking more and more chancy with all of the injuries he is piling up.) 

I don't see any point in getting more Beagles, Mottes and Schallers.  The team is short in talent, in particular scoring talent.  We all wish the D was better, but the absence of secondary scoring is as much of a problem going forward.   

Regarding Tanev, Edler and the D: Hutton and Biega have more to contribute to a future Canucks team (2.5 years away) than Edler and Tanev.  Hutton is younger, Biega is actually still improving, neither of which can be said of Edler or Tanev.   I hope we move Tanev and Edler as soon as possible, while there is still some shelf life there.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:13 PM, gameburn said:

A bold outline, and a useful post.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it

All I would add is that you define "future" 

The future for me, starts in trades at the 2019 draft, the draft and July 1st, 2019 UFA market, and finishes off 1 year from then.

So basically, Trade, Draft, UFA this year, Tryamkin signing next year, then promotion of 2019 1st round pick...…...so about 15 to 16 months total...…..for the first phase, anyways

1.  Edler will be too old very soon (he may be too old by next February) -- he has been absolutely awful far too often this year.  He is one of the main reasons this team is going nowhere fast this March. Against fast teams that excel at the rush/turnovers he is extremely vulnerable.  He won't be here when the team begins to approach competitiveness.

IMO, Edler still has gas in the tank, but not as a starting 1st line DMan, but rather a 2nd Dman, who plays against the 2nd and 3rd lines......I think he is very capable for 2 to 3 years...….He would be signed to a series of 1 year contracts to circumvent the Expansion draft...…..but 3 years should do it. Then he can retire.

2.  Tanev cannot be counted on as a top 4 D or really any kind of D, because of injury, which can only get worse going forward.  A player who is unavailable is simply not appropriate to sketch into the future of a team.  The same holds true of Baertschi, which is I assume one of the reasons you put him on the sidebar, a good choice.

I look at Tanev in much the same way as I look at Edler, and maybe more so. He is not a starter, and honestly should be put on the third pairing to lessen his load against lesser players. He will have a much easier time of it and not face major elite competition......it should go along ways to reducing the injuries. His placement here on the 3rd pairing is not because of skill, but to prevent those injuries. He will do well there.

3. Eriksson is in the same boat as Edler, plus he is too expensive to keep, once Hughes, Boeser, Horvat and Pettersson begin to be paid at the level they deserve.  And this year's draft pick could be in that class too (what if Benning picks in the top 9 again?  He has been so good the last few drafts, that I would not discount the possibility that in as little as 2.5 years this summer's pick will be looking soon enough at Boeser money (Pettersson money is a different matter, agreed.) )

Eriksson to me is just a place holder, and will be moved out soon enough, but his contract keeps him here for not...he is not bad defensively, and can mentor for the mean time

What I am more convinced is the need to act early, which is why I suggest signing Duchene now. It is also the reason I suggest going after Pesce now. I feel these players are an important part of the year coming up, and will help allow Pettersson to develop and not run out of gas or be dominated as much. Tryamkin comes in and completes the defense for the next few years, as I think he can develop into a great 3/4, and would work well with Stecher once Edler moves on.

Also my suggested moves, along with the natural progression of our young prospects, and next years drafted players, gives us a much larger compete window, before players like Horvat start UFAing out. (One never knows!). The moves also, to a larger extent, protect not only Pettersson, but Boeser, Hughes, Gaudette, Stecher and Demko, by adding higher skilled players to carry or protect the puck.

I have absolutely no disagreement with anyone that says build through the draft, except that is only part of it (and the example is Tampa and the trades they have made in recent years). My belief is that with the players not used, that they again be recycled into draft picks, that will intern feed the team directly or through trade in years to come.

If you look at our team today, I would say without injury we were a 15 OA to 18 OA team, and close to being a playoff team. Ask your self, how we would do with the addition, not only of Hughes this year, but Duchene and Pesce.

It is a much more talented and deeper team, and in the midst of the playoffs, and would still having prospects coming...…….

Which will still consist of 2019 1st rounders Boldy/Seider (examples), Madden, Woo, Rathbone, and Diepietro, and more from the 2019 2nds, 3rds etc...………….. We are a young team and would be a young team for years to come.

IMO...we are there now, and should make these moves

There, I turned down the lights!

17 hours ago, gameburn said:

This guy is a team Jinx no to Duchene no mater where he goes disaster fallows.

22 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

What I am more convinced is the need to act early, which is why I suggest signing Duchene now. It is also the reason I suggest going after Pesce now. I feel these players are an important part of the year coming up, and will help allow Pettersson to develop and not run out of gas or be dominated as much. Tryamkin comes in and completes the defense for the next few years, as I think he can develop into a great 3/4, and would work well with Stecher once Edler moves on.

Also my suggested moves, along with the natural progression of our young prospects, and next years drafted players, gives us a much larger compete window, before players like Horvat start UFAing out. (One never knows!). The moves also, to a larger extent, protect not only Pettersson, but Boeser, Hughes, Gaudette, Stecher and Demko, by adding higher skilled players to carry or protect the puck.

I have absolutely no disagreement with anyone that says build through the draft, except that is only part of it (and the example is Tampa and the trades they have made in recent years). My belief is that with the players not used, that they again be recycled into draft picks, that will intern feed the team directly or through trade in years to come.

If you look at our team today, I would say without injury we were a 15 OA to 18 OA team, and close to being a playoff team. Ask your self, how we would do with the addition, not only of Hughes this year, but Duchene and Pesce.

It is a much more talented and deeper team, and in the midst of the playoffs, and would still having prospects coming...…….

Which will still consist of 2019 1st rounders Boldy/Seider (examples), Madden, Woo, Rathbone, and Diepietro, and more from the 2019 2nds, 3rds etc...………….. We are a young team and would be a young team for years to come.

"We are there now and should make these moves" -- you will see some flamers... but I think you may be right.  There were times this year when if we'd had a bit more depth up front, and a bit of what Woo and Hughes have to offer... and it could mean 6 to 8 more wins easily. 

I'll look up Pesce, you have me curious... don't know anything about his game.  (Of course, his position is welcome, to say the least.)

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Where are we today

As I tell my buddy when doing hockey drafts at the start of the season.   "Injuries are the great equalizer" .  You can't say if only we didn't have so many injuries.   It will happen.  And with Vancouver schedule... it'll happen more often than other teams.

Canucks are exactly where their talent/work ethic can bring them.  Currently a bottom 10 team...which is better than a bottom 5 team that I predicted at the start of the season.

If the goal is to make the playoffs, then sure...go big in FA.  If rebuild is the way to go, then stay the course. 

On 3/25/2019 at 7:57 PM, janisahockeynut said:

You're so emboldened of your opinion you leave me no choice but to.

NO DUCHENE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

ALSO PESCE ISN'T REALLY AN UPGRADE ON ANYONE SURE HE SHOOTS RIGHT BUT THATS NOT REALLY ENOUGH FOR ME TO GET EXCITED TO THE DEGREE OF GIVING UP WHAT YOU PROPOSE. 

SIEDER WOULD BE SUPER SWEET AND I HAVE HIM IN MY TOP 15 HOWEVER THERE WILL STILL BE VERY GOOD RHD AVAILABLE WITH OUR 2ND AND 3RD ROUND PICKS. CASE McCARTHY, LASSI THOMPSON, KALLE LOPONEN, ANTTI TUOMISTO SPRING TO MIND. 

25 minutes ago, hammertime said:

You're so emboldened of your opinion you leave me no choice but to.

NO DUCHENE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

ALSO PESCE ISN'T REALLY AN UPGRADE ON ANYONE SURE HE SHOOTS RIGHT BUT THATS NOT REALLY ENOUGH FOR ME TO GET EXCITED TO THE DEGREE OF GIVING UP WHAT YOU PROPOSE. 

SIEDER WOULD BE SUPER SWEET AND I HAVE HIM IN MY TOP 15 HOWEVER THERE WILL STILL BE VERY GOOD RHD AVAILABLE WITH OUR 2ND AND 3RD ROUND PICKS. CASE McCARTHY, LASSI THOMPSON, KALLE LOPONEN, ANTTI TUOMISTO SPRING TO MIND. 

God! Your are right that emboldened print is annoying...….but I am half blind, so I had not focussed on it, until you said that...…...funny response! 

Here are my thoughts as to why Duchene...first off he is an elite/toppish LWer/Center, which gives us much better high end depth if one of Pettersson or Horvat go down, he is also a driver, and definitely not a passenger....this important going forward, so it gives Pettersson another player to push back the defense on zone entries….

Yes, I agree, he has been trouble in the past, but so was Evander Kane, and now he is loved by his team-mates, I think that with Travis Green and Bo Horvat, and Pettersson, who has a uncanny way about him, that Duchene could fit and not be that problem child. Alternatively, if he becomes that, you have a free chip to move for a great return. I also do not believe he will cost as much as Panarin, and might be a little easier to land because of his history, which I have already addressed. At worst, you trade him for gold...….

Now Pesce, is a special case, he has good size, is great defensively, and can also put up 30ish points a year. Think Tanev with size, and offensive abilities, something which we have always said is what prevents Tanev from being that real #2 defenseman......

I see Pesce being a good fit with Hughes, and pushes others down a notch, which as I said in my earlier comments, is just a good thing all around. He is also on a great long term contract...….and is youngish (24)

I do agree that Seider and the 2nds you speak of are good picks to focus on, but they will be players down the road 2 or 3 year, and Hughes needs someone now. Pesce is someone to be excited about, and in the games I have watched him in, he is calm, and does not take a lot of penalties......always in good position. Check his +/- this year....he is +33 I believe. Also, his points are mostly even strength, as he is on the 2nd unit PP, so doesn't get as much time as DH.

I don't think your concerns are unfounded.....just think we can handle them...….

19 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

God! Your are right that emboldened print is annoying...….but I am half blind, so I had not focussed on it, until you said that...…...funny response! 

Here are my thoughts as to why Duchene...first off he is an elite/toppish LWer/Center, which gives us much better high end depth if one of Pettersson or Horvat go down, he is also a driver, and definitely not a passenger....this important going forward, so it gives Pettersson another player to push back the defense on zone entries….

Yes, I agree, he has been trouble in the past, but so was Evander Kane, and now he is loved by his team-mates, I think that with Travis Green and Bo Horvat, and Pettersson, who has a uncanny way about him, that Duchene could fit and not be that problem child. Alternatively, if he becomes that, you have a free chip to move for a great return. I also do not believe he will cost as much as Panarin, and might be a little easier to land because of his history, which I have already addressed. At worst, you trade him for gold...….

Now Pesce, is a special case, he has good size, is great defensively, and can also put up 30ish points a year. Think Tanev with size, and offensive abilities, something which we have always said is what prevents Tanev from being that real #2 defenseman......

I see Pesce being a good fit with Hughes, and pushes others down a notch, which as I said in my earlier comments, is just a good thing all around. He is also on a great long term contract...….and is youngish (24)

I do agree that Seider and the 2nds you speak of are good picks to focus on, but they will be players down the road 2 or 3 year, and Hughes needs someone now. Pesce is someone to be excited about, and in the games I have watched him in, he is calm, and does not take a lot of penalties......always in good position. Check his +/- this year....he is +33 I believe. Also, his points are mostly even strength, as he is on the 2nd unit PP, so doesn't get as much time as DH.

I don't think your concerns are unfounded.....just think we can handle them...….

Kane and Duchene may rhyme but I think that is where the similarities end. I actually advocated hard for Kane. But I did that because Kane is a warrior who takes his game to another level when things get nasty plus he's a goal scorer which we need so badly. My problem with Duche is more that he will command a kings ransom to sign and making him the highest paid player on our team is a bit of a slippery slope. I don't hate the guy I just don't want him @ 9m. if hes comming for 7m what Evander got sign me up. 

Add On

What I see with my proposal, is a line of Duchene/Pettersson and Boeser, that can push back good defenses, and can stretch zone, making it much harder to defend. At the same time I see Hughes driving this from the back side, and Pesce supporting him. All of which will put the best teams on their heels.

On the second line, I see a line that has Pearson, Horvat and Eriksson/Krebs/Dach/etc, that now faces #3/#4 defensemen, and forwards, that will have a tough time against a #1b type centerman in Horvat and wingers, they would be supported by Edler and Stecher, one who is now not asked to act as a #1, and the other Stecher, who is acting like a solid #3, which means we are driving the play on that line as well.

This all then comes around to Rousell/Gaudette/???, who most likely don't see the #1 line, and drive play themselves...…….

The forth line the same to a lesser extent......

All supported by a third pairing of Saunter/Tryamkin/etc and Tanev, who now becomes a luxury, and someone that does not get thrown into the deep end as often, resulting in far less injuries, and upping his trade value, through the year

In the end, I see a team that has a solid first 2 offensive lines and the next 2, which should have a much easier time of it, supported by a defense that are all now playing, in positions they can succeed at...…..

I think our goalies can handle that...….

Lastly, because our team is so young in general, we will have time to develop our future pics well, before throwing them to the lions, which is where you want to be, where you are promoting young AHL seasoned veterans

So, hey, it is a dream....my dream sue me! LOL

Cheers!

Anyway is all just speculation I honestly cant see JB going after any of the big name UFAs though it's fun to plug guys like Skinner EK into the lineup of your favorite team. I think there has been much foreshadowing that JB intends to move bodies out this summer which I also think is the best way to improve the team. Addition by subtraction upgrade a couple positions and open up some room for kids to move up. I think we will have seen the last of Sutter Granlund Goldobin and possibly Eriksson, Virtanen, Leivo, Pearsson, Spooner, anything that isnt nailed down can be had for a price.

Archived