The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Lightning sign head coach Jon Cooper to contract extension

Similarly talented teams never set all-time single season wins records which is what his team will likely do.   He deserves credit,  but as others mentioned - it's all about playoff success now.  I hope the Prince George kid can do it!  

1 minute ago, brownky said:

Sounds familiar.

Wait, we had a team like that!

lol, yes we did! I liked AV, but I don't think he had much influence on the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows etc. during their heyday. He just let them do their thing. I suspect it's the same in TB. Just let Kucherov and Stamkos have some fun. He sure isn't going to tell them how to play.  

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

lol, yes we did! I liked AV, but I don't think he had much influence on the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows etc. during their heyday. He just let them do their thing. I suspect it's the same in TB. Just let Kucherov and Stamkos have some fun. He sure isn't going to tell them how to play.  

I loathed him. Still do, but I used to too.

I firmly believe he cost two teams Stanley Cups. One here, one with the Rangers, both times by doing the same thing; grinding the starting goalie until there was nothing left in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

A monkey could coach that team to wins.

In the time of chimpanzee's, he was a Monkey.

He had a good piece of the jungle when he started? Stamkos, Hedman.

But they still developed with him at the helm. He has veterans, and rookies alike playing well. Playing a system. A system that plays to the strengths of his team.  

What is not to like?

1 hour ago, brownky said:

I firmly believe he cost two teams Stanley Cups. One here, one with the Rangers, both times by doing the same thing; grinding the starting goalie until there was nothing left in the playoffs.

With the butane in my veins I'm out to cut the junkie, with plastic eyeballs spray paint the vegetables. Dog food stalls with the beefcake pantyhose.

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

4 hours ago, brownky said:

Should of started Schneider in game four in Boston. Ugh. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

And game 6.  The biggest problem with AV was his insistence on letting useless garbage like Ebbett stink up the joint on a nightly basis, and benching Ballard to the point his confidence was destroyed.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Close. Game 3. First one in Boston.

Canucks were up 2-0, but Lu was looking a bit shaky and exhausted towards the end of game 2. They won it, but he didn't look great, and making it worse was dragging it to overtime. Then, just a two-day gap and a continental travel day between the games.

So:

Run it in the media for the two days like you're starting Luongo (as expected), then start Schneider. Schneider, from the Boston 'general' area, would have his own friends and family section, maybe a little less hostile. Regardless, Boston's been watching film for Luongo as the primary, not for Schneider - there wouldn't be as much of a book on the Backup anyway.

So end result: Win? Great, now up 3-0! One more to go. Lose? It was 'just' the backup, so Luongo's still got his confidence, and more importantly the team still plays the offensive style in the next game rather than collapse in hard to try to protect the goalie in what wound up being a ****show road trip. The most important part of all, Luongo gets a meaningful rest.

But that would have been a bold move, and quite 'risky' for a coach to do. So he did not, because AV never did the thing to 'lead' the game. Ever notice how he always matched the line of whoever was out there, even when he had the stronger team? It meant we were always chasing whatever the other coach was doing, not leading the way.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:15 PM, King Heffy said:

And game 6.  The biggest problem with AV was his insistence on letting useless garbage like Ebbett stink up the joint on a nightly basis, and benching Ballard to the point his confidence was destroyed.

The team was broken through and through. MayRay got bent in half, Hammer had a freak injury, Rome got tossed for pretty much the whole finals. That's not touching on the rest of the roster that was likely all playing hurt. Honorable mention to arguably the worst reffing I have ever seen in my life. It's easy to blame AV, but I don't think it was as much his fault as everyone claims. People make it seem like Lu was the problem and AV shoulda started Schneider, do you remember how many goals this team scored in the finals? They scored 8 goals in 7 games. Lets not pretend Lu let us down. Two of our three wins against Boston were by shutout. Lol. The other game was a 3-2 OT win. I really don't think Schneider being in net would have changed anything. Maybe the team loses 2-0 instead of 4-0 in game seven. Who knows?

8 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

Playoffs havent started. Dont be a idiot they're going to set the record for most wins in a season in the hardest division in the league. 

Lol you are the one who claims they are one of the best teams ever. Maybe wait until they win a cup, until then they are not.

Archived