The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Adam Fox testing UFA status next summer.

18 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I wonder if Calgary knew this was his intention..... if the 'speculation' is true.

I believe they absolutely did. There were rumors back when he was traded that the Flames knew they weren't going to be able to sign him and so that's why they parted with him in the deal that got them Hanifin/Lindholm. Hurricanes stood a "better" chance but it's clear he's got his eyes on some team. I suspect he'll land in either Boston or on the Rangers.

The Harvard guys tend to be the ones who test this NCAA loophole. Vesey, Kerfoot, and now Fox have all gone this route. But it's hard to talk these guys out of such a move... by staying at Harvard for 4 years -- they get a Harvard degree + they get to go where they want to in the NHL... it's hard to persuade them to change their mind once a decision has been made.

With that said, I'm not concerned about Rathbone getting to this point. Rathbone seems like a pretty standup kid and he's already attended 2 Prospect Development camps. I bet he'll come for a third. Since he's an NCAA, he's paying for his trip out of his own pocket. My guess is Rathbone signs with the Canucks at the end of next season.

• Cheers 3

Huh. Could be interesting. Obviously, Jim would be dumb to not offer a contract. It is very unlikely he lands in Vancouver though. 

It seems like he doesn't want to play in Carolina. 48 pts this season, has really nothing left to prove a the collegiate level. Wouldn't be surprised if he did end up on one of the New York teams.

Edited by Jaku

Not too surprised.  Carolina has a lot of depth on defense still, and is in a small market with a bad owner/team.  Similar to Calgary, who has a loaded defense and plays in an absolute cesspool of a city.  Why not finish up school and get to choose a good fit in his position?

2 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I don't understand how that's a good thing for college hockey. It's going to make teams more weary of taking those guys early. Though I do understand not wanting to sign with the Canes

No different than taking Russians.  It's a risk but that's why you interview the players before the draft and get an idea of who they are as people.

• Cheers 2

Just now, King Heffy said:

No different than taking Russians.  It's a risk but that's why you interview the players before the draft and get an idea of who they are as people.

Vesey attended every Nashville prospects camp, and received coaching etc... Told them he was keen on signing and then bounced on them. People can pretend.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Quantum said:

I believe they absolutely did. There were rumors back when he was traded that the Flames knew they weren't going to be able to sign him and so that's why they parted with him in the deal that got them Hanifin/Lindholm. Hurricanes stood a "better" chance but it's clear he's got his eyes on some team. I suspect he'll land in either Boston or on the Rangers.

The Harvard guys tend to be the ones who test this NCAA loophole. Vesey, Kerfoot, and now Fox have all gone this route. But it's hard to talk these guys out of such a move... by staying at Harvard for 4 years -- they get a Harvard degree + they get to go where they want to in the NHL... it's hard to persuade them to change their mind once a decision has been made.

With that said, I'm not concerned about Rathbone getting to this point. Rathbone seems like a pretty standup kid and he's already attended 2 Prospect Development camps. I bet he'll come for a third. Since he's an NCAA, he's paying for his trip out of his own pocket. My guess is Rathbone signs with the Canucks at the end of next season.

As mentioned Vesey had attended all camps and I believe Fox had attended all of Calgary's camps up to him being traded. So it's hard to say just by attending camps that they are set. Rathbone seems like a good character guy which is an important criteria for Benning when drafting. Hopefully Rathbone gets Fox to sign here rather than Fox putting ideas into Rathbone's head to join him or simply to go to UFA and pick your own destination.

• Upvote 1