The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Adam Fox testing UFA status next summer.

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Brutal trade, if they signed Fox this trade MIGHT have looked ok, but man what a brutal trade. 

Imagine Ferland AND Fox both returning to Calgary :lol:.

Though I doubt Fox is going anywhere but New York, Buffalo, or New Jersey

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Brutal trade, if they signed Fox this trade MIGHT have looked ok, but man what a brutal trade. 

I was a huge critic of the trade from Carolina's perspective when it happened.

But they are looking as if they will score their first play off year in many. And will keep Hamilton.  They will also retain the money they don't spend on Ferland. To sign on someone else.  Which considering reports of his sense of self worth, will be better than keeping him.

Its just Fox they will lose. Which was always the risk.

I'll give them a pass if they make the play off's. Its worth something!

11 hours ago, Quantum said:

I believe they absolutely did. There were rumors back when he was traded that the Flames knew they weren't going to be able to sign him and so that's why they parted with him in the deal that got them Hanifin/Lindholm. Hurricanes stood a "better" chance but it's clear he's got his eyes on some team. I suspect he'll land in either Boston or on the Rangers.

The Harvard guys tend to be the ones who test this NCAA loophole. Vesey, Kerfoot, and now Fox have all gone this route. But it's hard to talk these guys out of such a move... by staying at Harvard for 4 years -- they get a Harvard degree + they get to go where they want to in the NHL... it's hard to persuade them to change their mind once a decision has been made.

With that said, I'm not concerned about Rathbone getting to this point. Rathbone seems like a pretty standup kid and he's already attended 2 Prospect Development camps. I bet he'll come for a third. Since he's an NCAA, he's paying for his trip out of his own pocket. My guess is Rathbone signs with the Canucks at the end of next season.

And as much as he will miss out on some millions by not going an year earlier to the NHL, depending on his degree he can probably make much more than that post retirement.

I shouldn't say this, but I hope he gets injured his senior year (nothing career or life threatening though).  Just enough to make him miss his senior season and mess up his leverage in free agency.  Might deter some future college players to not sign with the team drafting them.

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I shouldn't say this, but I hope he gets injured his senior year (nothing career or life threatening though).  Just enough to make him miss his senior season and mess up his leverage in free agency.  Might deter some future college players to not sign with the team drafting them.

it's just such a silly loophole. either change it so nhl teams maintain player rights for a year or two longer, or make it so unsigned college kids re-enter the draft the same way unsigned junior picks do. it's simple. 

44 minutes ago, tas said:

it's just such a silly loophole. either change it so nhl teams maintain player rights for a year or two longer, or make it so unsigned college kids re-enter the draft the same way unsigned junior picks do. it's simple. 

There could be 'compensation' involved. Signing team must hand over a 3rd round pick, or better, for a player drafted in the 3rd round etc..

Would not be surprised to see Carolina trade his 'negotiation rights' for a late pick. Probably could get a very mild bidding war going between the NY state teams ! Maybe a 3 -> 6th rd round pick ?

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

There could be 'compensation' involved. Signing team must hand over a 3rd round pick, or better, for a player drafted in the 3rd round etc..

Would not be surprised to see Carolina trade his 'negotiation rights' for a late pick. Probably could get a very mild bidding war going between the NY state teams ! Maybe a 3 -> 6th rd round pick ?

the compensation should be a first

35 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

the compensation should be a first

A first round pick who goes this route does get compensation from the NHL. Extra pick in the 2nd round I think. ( Blake Wheeler did this I believe ). Not nearly enough and yes, something has to change (....well, should change )

3 hours ago, tas said:

I've always thought that making a full entry level offer should be considered a qualifying offer making that player a RFA until age 27. Its the same for a junior player that develops in the AHL, why not one that develops in the NCAA?

On 3/26/2019 at 3:18 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

Benning needs to make a big play here IMO. Show a commitment to Rathbone and send Fox weekly love letters to gain his favour.

speculation, the sky is blue and water is wet

all kidding aside, he obviously has a destination in mind.  I expect JB will kick the tires, but little to no chance anything comes of it

Archived