The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Melnyk, Sens Wound Up Looking Like Geniuses

Rate this topic

Just now, Warhippy said:

No credit to Melnyk, he's a train wreck who needs to leave his shiny toy alone.  Dorian though, solid GM

They were likely workin hand in glove, step by step.

I'd rather give 8 yr/64 to a young, rising Chabot, than 92 mill to a wobbly ankled pirate!

All the points from the original post hold Plenty of truth/water, this very moment.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

They were likely workin hand in glove, step by step.

I'd rather give 8 yr/64 to a young, rising Chabot, than 92 mill to a wobbly ankled pirate!

All the points from the original post hold Plenty of truth/water, this very moment.

I'm going to say that their hardest challenge now is whether they can get out of the lowly funk. Their model seems to be a clear tank and we have seen teams like Edmonton still having troubles getting over the hump until they got a "generational" talent.

I don't know if they have a solid goalie in their pipeline, but they likely need a decent one before they can take that next step. Anderson isn't going to be around forever.

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm going to say that their hardest challenge now is whether they can get out of the lowly funk. Their model seems to be a clear tank and we have seen teams like Edmonton still having troubles getting over the hump until they got a "generational" talent.

I don't know if they have a solid goalie in their pipeline, but they likely need a decent one before they can take that next step. Anderson isn't going to be around forever.

Don't know who their scouts are, but they likely deserve a very large portion of credit(on the assumption this rebuild takes flight to the degree I expect)..also don't know how much sway they hold over Dorion's call, at the podium. Assuming they've got some mighty competent scouts.

At this point in time, they sit real pretty. Perhaps 20 teams are almost cap-maxed, & the true gold currency nowadays is rising ELC youth.

So I hope(cheering Sens as my Eastern fav) they do 1 of 2, or both things, with the momentum they currently hold:

1- Use this primo opportunity for Melnyk to SELL to another CDN OWNER. Get his profit, & skedaddle

2- Force the Ottawa PTB to build a downtown rink, to house a rising juggernaut. Either that, or sell to Quebec, Hamilton..Hell, anywhere that's NOT the States!

(but watch sneaky Bettman use Melnyk as the shoddy pretext to move this future powerhouse south of the border). It'll be the F***ing Nordiques pattern all over again!

• Cheers 1

On 4/15/2019 at 3:24 PM, Dazzle said:

How is he washed up when he's 28 years old and is helping the Shark's PP? Seriously dude.

You were looking at the moment..where things stood, based upon recency-bias. You need to observe where things are heading!

In a game of chess such thinking gets SMOKED! GM'ing takes vision.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You were looking at the moment..where things stood, based upon recency-bias. You need to observe where things are heading!

In a game of chess such thinking gets SMOKED! GM'ing takes vision.

The team as a whole isn't playing well. They're also missing Couture. It could be a one-off season where they are this bad. No one can seem to explain it.

• Cheers 1

On 3/26/2019 at 9:18 PM, Provost said:

If this hadn’t been preceded by years of insanity, then maybe he could get credit.

The truth is that he doesn’t want to spend money and every time it comes

to pay his top players, he sells them off or fails to sign them.

Players want to sign on a team trying to win.  Melnuk wants to sign them to under market value while pocketing the difference and not putting it towards other good players.

If any of his new young players turn into stars, they won’t be around long enough to have success.

Isn't that what we are hoping for.....our star players to sign at a discount?   So we can ice a better team.   

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Isn't that what we are hoping for.....our star players to sign at a discount?   So we can ice a better team.   

We are definitely hoping for our starts to sign at a discount, the biggest difference though is that the Canucks will spend to the cap while Ottawa barely hits the Cap floor. The Canucks(or most teama in fact) would like to spend less on each individual player but have more higher quality players instead of 2-5 stars making all the money and a bunch of plugs filling out the roster.

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Like what Spitfire above said.  There is a significant difference between getting players to take a discount so you can sign other players and ice a better team.... vs. getting them to sign at a discount and have him pocket the cash and not do everything he can to ice the best team possible.

• Upvote 1

Sens' future is going to be all right but they are sorely lacking in leadership.  
Stone meant a lot to that team in terms of talent, but even more so in terms of leadership.  

I think that fans underrate how important it was for us to keep the Sedins, Edler and Tanev around until we had two or three guys ready to take the torch from them.  

So while Ottawa may look good on paper, they will need to sign a couple of good veterans that will instill good habits and help their young guys become good professionals.  Beagle and Sutter brought a winning attitude to our team that was very important and I really don't care that we had to overpay by an extra year on some contracts.  

Anyways, I'm cheering for them too, they've been my third favourite team for a while.  

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hertl out long term now, the Sens have a good chance at 2 top-5 picks and two stabs at first overall. Speeding up the rebuild right here, this is how you do it.

Trade is working out for them in retrospect, which is funny considering how little they were thought to have gotten originally. I can see how some would think the Sharks would take a step back this season, but I doubt too many saw them having this much trouble. 

Ottawa will certainly benefit, but I doubt they saw this coming when they made the trade. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 10:33 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

Sens' future is going to be all right but they are sorely lacking in leadership.  
Stone meant a lot to that team in terms of talent, but even more so in terms of leadership.  

I think that fans underrate how important it was for us to keep the Sedins, Edler and Tanev around until we had two or three guys ready to take the torch from them.  

Have to agree with this post. Myself, I did certainly underestimate the on/off ice, leadership contributions of the 4 greats you've mentioned.

With every passing day, Gent Jim looks wiser, with his declared emphasis on character & leadership.

• Upvote 1

I think more credit is due to Pierre Dorion for salvaging something despite having a lot of chips stacked against him.  They're still a terrible team but Dorion has been able to acquire a respectable pool of assets.

3 first round picks and 4 second round picks make me think that the Senators could look at making a big trade or two instead of drafting all those players.  That could accelerate their return to being a decent hockey team.

The Senators are actually not that terrible if you look at some of the core pieces that they have.  Tkachuk and Chabot are great skaters to start with and, in net, they can run with Nilsson for a little longer as a serviceable 1B while seeing if Hogberg can make the jump.  Their goalies have been playing behind such a poor team that it's difficult to criticize them too much.  Duclair may get shipped out for assets or he may get re-signed.

Now I'm not saying Dorion should get GM of the year or anything but I do think he's made the most of a pretty terrible situation.

4 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think more credit is due to Pierre Dorion for salvaging something despite having a lot of chips stacked against him.  They're still a terrible team but Dorion has been able to acquire a respectable pool of assets.

3 first round picks and 4 second round picks make me think that the Senators could look at making a big trade or two instead of drafting all those players.  That could accelerate their return to being a decent hockey team.

The Senators are actually not that terrible if you look at some of the core pieces that they have.  Tkachuk and Chabot are great skaters to start with and, in net, they can run with Nilsson for a little longer as a serviceable 1B while seeing if Hogberg can make the jump.  Their goalies have been playing behind such a poor team that it's difficult to criticize them too much.  Duclair may get shipped out for assets or he may get re-signed.

Now I'm not saying Dorion should get GM of the year or anything but I do think he's made the most of a pretty terrible situation.

It's ballsy. So many armchair GM-warriors discuss scorching the earth, after knocking all bldgs down.

Well, these guys DID it.

Precisely the moment the league has shifted(hardest ever, I would say), towards an emphasis on youth. This dying demand for worthy ELC's, necessitated by yrs of incompetent GM's overpaying aging vets/UFA's, not realizing the pendulum would soon swing.

I doubt the Sens did this as some masterplan. It occurred due to good ol' mean & cheap frugality. But the timing is perfect :^)

16 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Potentially all 3 first rounders could be top 10 overall..... that could fast track a rebuild in a hurry.

17 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Potentially all 3 first rounders could be top 10 overall..... that could fast track a rebuild in a hurry.

I'd move one for a known entity though. 

Something like 8th overall + 2nd rounder for Dumba. 

Let Dumba and Chabot carry the d for a decade. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BabychStache said:

I'd move one for a known entity though. 

Something like 8th overall + 2nd rounder for Dumba. 

Let Dumba and Chabot carry the d for a decade. 

Precisely what they'll have to do, soon. They can add picks in so many creative ways, the team could be rebuilt mighty quickly.

Dump stuff..add goodies. EG:

SJ : Burns AND Timo Meier

OTT: Bobby Ryan & the NYL 1st, maybe throw in a 2nd(if feeling charitable)

If Melnyk sold to a proper owner(with a wallet), this team could be awesome in 2 yrs.