The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 26, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Forget greens play hard work hard mentality 

just hire a coach who let the team play offense and stop the 200 foot game old school mantra 

we have absolutely zero offense. It’s not the players’ problems I would have to imagine - petterson should not have to defend down low that much. I don’t know man, how many years have we been preaching playing hard working hard blah blah blah and does it ever work? 

82 games a year and 200 foot game every night of the season? It’s a tough grind, guys are tired, hurt or just injured. 

At this point, all the guys are either physically done or mentally done. If we make the playoffs it’s just going to be a four game series.

The thing is you have to look at our top players: EP, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat. Out of these four, horvat is the only player who can play Green’s style. So adapt, Green. You should adapt to your stars, and not the other way around. Learn from AV. 

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

Hoping for a new D bench coach next season, probably a long shot.  This 4 and 5 man box system of just keeping guys to the outside, never pressuring (to limit the gap), and only intercepting shots/passes, is hilariously amateur.

As far as creativity, it seems that it has been coached out of everyone by Green.   And his 1980s dump and chase, chip it out style of just GIVING the other team the puck, again, is hilariously amateur.  I highly doubt that he is the coach of this team by the end of his contract.  It might even be over this summer if the owner wants a different product on the ice.  I know I do

Couldn't agree more! 

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

You're right, it is too early to give up on him... but next year will likely define whether he will end his career playing a secondary role, or man up and become the type of player he should be.

Right now he is WAY too comfortable being a regular in the lineup... he doesn't show any hunger to get better... the word I would use is 'cruise'... he is confident with his speed and defensive play, but is not prepared to put in the effort to drive to the net and create a goal... the only time he makes an effort is when he has a breakaway.

Not star quality right now... when he has all the ability to be a star.

He has all the physical abilities to be a star but mentally he never has it. Mental part of the game you either get it or you don’t. I have never seen a player known for having bad hockey IQ all of a sudden improves on it. 

Having said that, nothing wrong with him playing bottom 6 in a third line role. He might be our new raffi torres. Although Torres probably had better hockey IQ than Jake 

5 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

He has all the physical abilities to be a star but mentally he never has it. Mental part of the game you either get it or you don’t. I have never seen a player known for having bad hockey IQ all of a sudden improves on it. 

Having said that, nothing wrong with him playing bottom 6 in a third line role. He might be our new raffi torres. Although Torres probably had better hockey IQ than Jake 

Driving the net doesn't require a lot of Hockey IQ.  That's really all he needs to do...  Take the puck to the net more often so his linemates can pick up the garbage or he can get a dirty one.

He should be good for 25 goals a year and 25 helpers if he ups his attack.

16 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

They better not. He's on the cusp of having a break out season. Don't forget, this is really only his second full season in the NHL. He played 55 games with us in 2015, then spent a year in the minors, then returned last year to post a 10G, 10A season.  With his 15G this year he's one of the top scorers on our team.  It takes some guys longer to develop, take Alex Burrows for instance, he was a 3rd line grinder until the age of 26 or 27 when he earned a spot on the top line. Virt is only 22.  Please don't give up on him yet.

Alex is an unfair comparison, Alex started in the East Coast league not a first round pick. Alex deserves all the credit in the world for his hard work chasing a dream.

A fair example for Virtanen may be someone like Jonathan Drouin ( not comparing skills/styles ) a high pick with a slow start. Jake needs to take the next step in his development with that big body and speed!

18 minutes ago, xereau said:

Hoping for a new D bench coach next season, probably a long shot.  This 4 and 5 man box system of just keeping guys to the outside, never pressuring (to limit the gap), and only intercepting shots/passes, is hilariously amateur.

As far as creativity, it seems that it has been coached out of everyone by Green.   And his 1980s dump and chase, chip it out style of just GIVING the other team the puck, again, is hilariously amateur.  I highly doubt that he is the coach of this team by the end of his contract.  It might even be over this summer if the owner wants a different product on the ice.  I know I do.

Virtanen's Calgary flyby pissed me off, which Green actually kind of half craptalked tonight in the post gamer, was brutal. More than brutal.  And yes, his finish is not there. Probably never will be.  He is too inconsistent to be a top 6 player, in finish, and physicality.  He had a good hit tonight.  Also looked like a total dunce a few other times too.  Don't be surprised when he is moved.  And don't be surprised when he doesn't produce, at least regularly, there too.

893569093_SilenceoftheShutouts.png.bacae3ba5f69cac85ef95d5e682b08c7.png

Dump and chase are most often give aways, in other sports they call it a turnovers!

Makes me sick when you remember how Naslund and other's entries on the half wall had a high percentage of zone entries back in the day.

Being an eternal optimist and a Canucks fan since their start, I'm not too disappointed with tonight's game.  The Granlund error was unfortunate in that it allowed a penalty shot (we don't see that often).  That goal hurt. 

Teves looked pretty good.  Too bad about the goal after his penalty but I would like to see more of him.  One game doesn't tell much. 

I liked our comeback and Horvat was a beast in the face-off circle.  Virtanen had a good game as did Leivo.  I liked that we outhit the Ducks and Schenn looks more and more like he will get a contract next year (I hope so). 

From here on in, I want to see this team end on a high note and show promise for next season. 

I've always preached that losing is for peasants and tanking is pathetic... But here we are and at the current state of our franchise, I'd love to see 5 more losses to close out the year. 

Dear hockey God's... We really deserve a top 3 pick. Please. For all the years we got bumped down 3 spots. 

Just now, apollo said:

I've always preached that losing is for peasants and tanking is pathetic... But here we are and at the current state of our franchise, I'd love to see 5 more losses to close out the year. 

Dear hockey God's... We really deserve a top 3 pick. Please. For all the years we got bumped down 3 spots. 

One goal games and no more shutouts, and we have a deal.

I will add that I thought Baertschi had a good game and I liked him in the top six.  (even though he was a -1)

He adds much needed speed in the forecheck, he is very fast on the puck and caused several turnovers.  I have always thought he was one of the best Canucks forecheckers.

He also is an excellent passer and has a good shot and he is always around the blue paint and gets on pucks quickly.  He has chemistry with Horvat which cannot be denied.

However, I will say I am a little worried about them playing him in a set of meaningless games at the end of the year when he could be resting... better to give him a clear path to next season with no bumps or collisions... time is the big healer with concussions.  Unless they are planning on trading him, and want to show he's healthy.  But with his history, I doubt they would get much for him.  He is more valuable to this team being a healthy player at the start of 2019/2020.

For that reason I would prefer to see MacEwen get another chance or someone else who is in development.

And by the way, all those calling for Granlunds head for his decision with the broken stick... yeah it was a dumba$$ move, but it doesn't change the fact he is a useful player on this team whose defensive and PK play and points can't be easily replaced.

It was nice to see Schenn standing up for Petey. And generally throwing his weight around again. 

Thought Teves looked okay. Not great but alright. Will be interesting to see where he factors in next year.

I completely missed the penalty on the penalty shot. Thought the refs were adding time to the clock or something & all of a sudden its a penalty shot.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Solid physical game from the Canucks. Schenn leading the way with 7 hits, Edler with 6, Horvat and Sautner with 4, and Virtanen with 3. 

Who would have thunk that the best mentor for sauntner would end up being Luke Schenn.

Archived