The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Strange Case of Jussie Smollett

DonLever

28 minutes ago, Toews said:

Can you elaborate on what this "radical agenda" is?

Rushing to judgement is something that is common trait to most people now days. I don't think it's a trait that can help you identify a "radical". The attention of the average human being is so low since the advent of social media and smart phones.

Maybe your overarching argument does have merit, I just don't believe it applies to the Smollett situation. I think people on both sides of the aisle were sympathetic initially with Smollett's case. Even Cheeto Jesus who never comments on such things was moved into making a statement that he found it to be "troubling". I suppose the ones that are the most outraged had egg on their faces after this. But I don't think it was based on some radical thought process. 

I didn't directly answer it the last time for a reason.  You and I would have to go to private messages if you want to know why I think that leftists are becoming more radical.  Some of my views would go over like a lead balloon on CDC and I'd be stuck in front of my computer to the wee hours of the morning.

Also, you put agenda in your quotation marks with radical.  I didn't specifically say agenda.  The leftist movement has only been growing and expanding for the last few years so it's not quite at the "agenda stage" as a whole.

I spent some time reading social media at various stages of the Smollett saga so that may be why I have a stronger opinion on it than you.  I was able to get annoyed every single time someone of note kept popping up and saying stupid things until it became evident that they got played then the same people disappeared like cowards.  Ellen Page disappeared for a solid 2 weeks and people like AOC moved onto the next thing to rage about without even acknowledging that they unfairly targeted people the Cheeto Emperor and his insane followers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

This is nonsense.

This is effectively saying that the state should never prosecute any multi-millionaire or richer person for any small-time misdemeanor or such, because they can spend millions to defend themselves and thus the state would have to match that, all for a 'piddly sentence if convicted'. 

7 minutes ago, Kushman said:

The left doesn't care about principals or the law.  They only pretend to care with virtue signalling whenever it's a conservative that gets accused or does anything, no matter how small. The left shuts down speech on campuses because they follow a simple rule... If you disagree with my views, you're a racist bigot. (Not all Leftists, but a scary growing percentage)

it is not nonsense

if prosecutors are forced to spend crazy dollars for a nothing conviction

those are your tax dollars being wasted

that is why wealthy often walk from minor offenses

so get real, instead of denying reality

and kushman, frame it is a political bent if that makes you happier

or some strange notion of principle of law

it makes no sense for a prosecution to pursue a $100 fine

if the accused is prepared to pay $10

if the alternative is

that the crown is forced to spend a $1000

and accused pay $1000

to fight it to the finish

prosecutorial offices have budgets

if they spend too much on nothing crimes

they have less money to fight real ones

Edited by coastal.view

6 minutes ago, Kushman said:

(Not all Leftists, but a scary growing percentage)

There's a difference between liberal and leftist just like there's a difference between conservative and alt-right.  I'm fine with liberals and conservatives because my views fall into and between both categorical groups.

It's the leftists and alt-right that I have issues with.  I don't like radicalism in any form.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

There is often a thing called 'botched investigation' that leads to dropping of charges. In this case, where the case was so highly publicized, including his 'assailants/partners in crime' views on the matter, etc. there is a high probability that the case got dropped due to too much taint in the investigative procedure. 

Not even close.  Did you even read about the case?

If what you wrote were an actual legal defence, you could never try a famous person for any crime.

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

it is not nonsense

if prosecutors are forced to spend crazy dollars for a nothing conviction

those are your tax dollars being wasted

that is why wealthy often walk from minor offenses

so get real, instead of denying reality

This is just your opinion and you are incorrect. The rich do get charged with minor misdemeanors when they commit them. If what you said was true, the state wouldn't bother ever prosecuting a rich person for any misdemeanor. The rich walk from minor offences more than poor people because the rich can afford better lawyers. 

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

it makes no sense for a prosecution to pursue a $100 fine

if the accused is prepared to pay $10

if the alternative is

that the crown is forced to spend a $1000

and accused pay $1000

to fight it to the finish

prosecutorial offices have budgets

if they spend too much on nothing crimes

they have less money to fight real ones

Again, nothing more than unsubstantiated and erroneous opinion.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not even close.  Did you even read about the case?

If what you wrote were an actual legal defence, you could never try a famous person for any crime.

We would never know in any case. Its not about famous people being tried but witnesses to the crime giving media statements - that to me, reeks of botched investigation due to botching the gag orders and such.

6 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

There's a difference between liberal and leftist just like there's a difference between conservative and alt-right.  I'm fine with liberals and conservatives because my views fall into and between both categorical groups.

It's the leftists and alt-right that I have issues with.  I don't like radicalism in any form.

leftism is synonymous with liberalism, just as right is synonymous with conservatism. The left and right are political, economic and social spectrums. Alt-right is an extreme end philosophy,so is alt-left. 

18 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

he is going to spend millions on his defence

which will require prosecutors to also expend huge amounts of dollars

for what sort of conviction?

a very limited jail time conviction, if that, for being extremely stupid

for being a low life idiot?

you think the state should invest all those dollars in that sort of outcome

because the public is outraged?

there is not much of a sentence the court is likely to impose

The fatal flaw in your argument is that Smollett doesn't have millions to spend.  One of the reasons why he did what he did was that he wanted more money from the show that he worked on.  That doesn't exactly scream, "I have millions to p*ss away".  That and he was charged with 16 felonies.  Had it gone to court, just the cheque that he wrote to pay for his own assault would have gotten him convicted on at least one of those charges.  He caught a break with Chicago being so corrupt on top of having famous and powerful friends that had connections in the prosecutors office.

6 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

leftism is synonymous with liberalism

No it's not.

just as right is synonymous with conservatism.

Wrong again.  You can be moderate right or you can be conservative right.  After that, you get alt-right.

The left and right are political, economic and social spectrums. Alt-right is an extreme end philosophy,so is alt-left. 

Stop pulling things out of your rectum.  It's not healthy. 

Also, alt-left is another way to say leftist.  Not liberal.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

No it's not.

Yes, it is. Maybe not in the US, but I assure you, globally, left = liberal. 

Wrong again.  You can be moderate right or you can be conservative right.  After that, you get alt-right.

No. Conservative = right. Moderate conservative = center-right/right of center. True conservative = right. Extreme conservative = far right/alt-right. Again, these definitions are more or less globally consistent.  Same exact benchmark applies to the left as well.

Stop pulling things out of your rectum.  It's not healthy. 

Nothing is being pulled from the nether regions. I can cite you the actual definitions, replete with news articles from Canada, UK, India, Australia etc. that are all consistent with the phraseology mentioned above.

Also, alt-left is another way to say leftist.  Not liberal.

No. Alt-left is to liberals what alt-right is to conservatives. 

Edited by canuckistani

8 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

We would never know in any case. Its not about famous people being tried but witnesses to the crime giving media statements - that to me, reeks of botched investigation due to botching the gag orders and such.

That happens with nearly every famous court case.  It's one of the reasons why I believe in so few conspiracy theories involving gov't secrets, people just can't keep their mouths shut when they know things that others want to.

No judge was assigned to a criminal case so there was no binding gag orders.  Just stupid people in the hospital doing stupid things like looking into his medical records which is itself a crime that they were fired for and can lose their medical licenses for doing.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

That happens with nearly every famous court case.  It's one of the reasons why I believe in so few conspiracy theories involving gov't secrets, people just can't keep their mouths shut when they know things that others want to.

No judge was assigned to a criminal case so there was no binding gag orders.  Just stupid people in the hospital doing stupid things like looking into his medical records which is itself a crime that they were fired for and can lose their medical licenses for doing.

Well i am not a crime-news nut, so i don't know. I read what comes across my newsdesk and this is the first time in a long time i've seen statements printed in the media from alleged perps/crown-witnesses to a case,so i smell 'botched investigation'. Whether you like it or not, botched investigations are the prime reason (statistically speaking) of cases being dropped by the prosecution. I don't know if that is the case here, but that'd be my odds-on favorite to bet on. 

5 pages in, and other than a picture of Obama and Jussie I've seen no link or evidence that the guy got a deal because of powerful friends.

I have no idea when, where and why that pic got taken.

I've seen pics of politicians shaking the hands of Hells Angels, turned out it was just a handshake with an unknown person/potential voter.

Some people seem to be jumping to a conclusion of "powerful friends" just as fast as some people jumped to the conclusion that the "attack" definitely happened.

History is doomed to repeat itself if people don't slow the heck down and learn.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

Yes, it is. Maybe not in the US, but I assure you, globally, left = liberal. 

I get what you are saying now.  Leftist was up until recently used to describe a person with left leaning views.  In the last 2-3 years it's becoming to mean more of a person with radical left views.  At least in the United States.

I'm using the term as it means now.  You're using it as it historically was used.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I get what you are saying now.  Leftist was up until recently used to describe a person with left leaning views.  In the last 2-3 years it's becoming to mean more of a person with radical left views.  At least in the United States.

I'm using the term as it means now.  You're using it as it historically was used.

No mate, i am using it as its used in Canada and various nations globally. We use the term 'leftist' to simply mean someone with left leaning views, aka tax, tax and more tax with stuff being funded via tax. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Well i am not a crime-news nut, so i don't know. I read what comes across my newsdesk and this is the first time in a long time i've seen statements printed in the media from alleged perps/crown-witnesses to a case,so i smell 'botched investigation'. Whether you like it or not, botched investigations are the prime reason (statistically speaking) of cases being dropped by the prosecution. I don't know if that is the case here, but that'd be my odds-on favorite to bet on. 

You need to read more US news.  It's rare that famous cases here go smoothly especially in places like Chicago where dysfunction is the rule and not the exception.  It's not uncommon for Illinois governors to go to prison.  Rod Blagojevich is still in Prison.  He was on Trump's reality TV show and Trump has talked about commuting his sentence.

• Haha 1

Just now, canuckistani said:

No mate, i am using it as its used in Canada and various nations globally. We use the term 'leftist' to simply mean someone with left leaning views, aka tax, tax and more tax with stuff being funded via tax. 

Ok.  Gotcha.  I'm using it the way it's beginning to be used here in the United States.

16 minutes ago, gurn said:

5 pages in, and other than a picture of Obama and Jussie I've seen no link or evidence that the guy got a deal because of powerful friends.

I have no idea when, where and why that pic got taken.

I've seen pics of politicians shaking the hands of Hells Angels, turned out it was just a handshake with an unknown person/potential voter.

Some people seem to be jumping to a conclusion of "powerful friends" just as fast as some people jumped to the conclusion that the "attack" definitely happened.

History is doomed to repeat itself if people don't slow the heck down and learn.

The problems with what happened are even catching the attention of the FBI.  They've opened an investigation into the Chicago prosecutor's office. 

A damning internal memo has also been leaked showing that the prosecutors were trying to cover up what happened after the fact.

https://abc7chicago.com/fbi-reviewing-circumstances-of-jussie-smolletts-charges-being-dropped-sources/5219838/

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The problems with what happened are even catching the attention of the FBI.  They've opened an investigation into the Chicago prosecutor's office. 

A damning internal memo has also been leaked showing that the prosecutors were trying to cover up what happened after the fact.

https://abc7chicago.com/fbi-reviewing-circumstances-of-jussie-smolletts-charges-being-dropped-sources/5219838/

What pisses me off about cases like these is, all these people are doing is posturing for public perception. You have Smollett and his lawyer doubling down and "weighing their options" and continuing the narrative that he was "a victim of a crime". He sure was, he was a victim of his own stupidity that caused him to commit a crime against himself.

You're going to have the MSM now white washing this whole thing, and over time the narrative that is going to perpetuate is "visible minority victim of attack". I'm hoping that the FBI are able to actually root out just what the hell is going on and expose the level of corruption that lies among the rank and file of political offices everywhere.

What I find is incredibly stark at this moment was that goofball Don Lemon spouting off how Smollett lost in "the court of public perception". Now he too is going to double down on his initial assertion and employ the textbook leftist tactic of deflection, and talk about everything except for the core issue. Nothing but tap dancing and yet more posturing for public perception.

It's sickening.

• Cheers 1