The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin said he watched the Canucks game last night.

CanuckGAME

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Somebody should read Tree the story, Chicken Little. 

He wanted to skip the rebuild phase and come play when the work was done. I’m not sure how I feel about that. 

Sure, he and his wife didn’t like hipster Vancouver and it’s ever-present smell of dope and they had no real family here, but to come back next season would be an interesting character discussion.  

None of that seems to actually be true.

He made it clear that he didn’t like the coaching staff.  They didn’t communicate with him and he felt confused that one day he would play well and then get benched the next game with no explanation.  He wanted to play on a team where he could play an important role.

It was pretty clear that when he finally got on the ice, he was one of our better D... yet was in the press box watching Larsen and Biega play ahead of him.  It was a source of confusion for many of us as well.  Willie D’s deployment and choice of players was nutbar level 7 many nights. (Hi to Megna!)

The dope comment was him responding to things that surprised him about being in Vancouver and was said in a joking manner, not at all a reason he left.

He would absolutely fit on our team and he plays both sides which is really valuable.

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What if he sees Hughes as taking a top 4 spot from him and having Hughes makes him less likely to want to come back?

/s

He plays on the right side mostly and an entirely different game, so that probably isn’t the issue.

I would have no heartache if we traded Tanev to a team really sore about losing early in the playoffs due to bad D, and iced Stecher, Tryamkin, and Schenn on the right side.

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tryamkin

Hughes-Schenn

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think because the guy wanted to be a more complete player. If the toughness comes naturally, as it was, and he becomes good enough to be a regular NHL d why not just focus on his game and worry about the tough guy stuff later? jesus, the guy crushed Richardson's leg in 3 places just with a normal hit. It was also the last straw in what really seemed to be a frustrating year with ol Willie. 

I just can’t see him as a sympathetic figure from a professional athlete standpoint.  

The Pronger videos give Jpat and Botchford something to laugh at stupid old Willie but overall he was given reasonable and ever-increasing ice time and received coaching that played to his strengths.  

The guy had 9 points in 66 games - hardly lighting the world on fire - so the average rookie you would think would want to play up their strong suits to earn their place. 

Instead I hear fans saying he didn’t get enough ice time and shouldn’t be coached on how to play.  If that’s why he left, I’m glad he’s gone because it’s the kind of entitled attitude you can’t have on a rebuilding team. He wasn’t that good.

Now, the culture shock and family stuff I understand. 

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

None of that seems to actually be true.

He made it clear that he didn’t like the coaching staff.  They didn’t communicate with him and he felt confused that one day he would play well and then get benched the next game with no explanation.  He wanted to play on a team where he could play an important role.

It was pretty clear that when he finally got on the ice, he was one of our better D... yet was in the press box watching Larsen and Biega play ahead of him.  It was a source of confusion for many of us as well.  Willie D’s deployment and choice of players was nutbar level 7 many nights. (Hi to Megna!)

The dope comment was him responding to things that surprised him about being in Vancouver and was said in a joking manner, not at all a reason he left.

He would absolutely fit on our team and he plays both sides which is really valuable.

I can’t and won’t substantiate any of my musings nor do I even pretend to know what his actual issues were.

Would he help the team, yes, mostly likely. 

Did he bail on his floundering team and is that something Kesler-like, yes, I sure think so. 

Each person here will have their their hopes up today and I am not looking to pop anybody’s balloons, but I don’t mind reminding us that this player bailed on the team.

This is a character issue, IMO, at least as it relates to what I perceive as the kind of Canucks-heart I identify with. I have some reservations.

I was a Tree fan and likely still am, but the guy bailed on his team, not a fan of that. 

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I just can’t see him as a sympathetic figure from a professional athlete standpoint.  

The Pronger videos give Jpat and Botchford something to laugh at stupid old Willie but overall he was given reasonable and ever-increasing ice time and received coaching that played to his strengths.  

The guy had 9 points in 66 games - hardly lighting the world on fire - so the average rookie you would think would want to play up their strong suits to earn their place. 

Instead I hear fans saying he didn’t get enough ice time and shouldn’t be coached on how to play.  If that’s why he left, I’m glad he’s gone because it’s the kind of entitled attitude you can’t have on a rebuilding team. He wasn’t that good.

Now, the culture shock and family stuff I understand. 

I don't know if it was entitled as much as the culture shock part. Even his agent said recently that Nik has "matured" so take that for whatever its worth. I would think now that he's married, been playing regular pro games for a couple years, he see's the opportunity in front of him right now. 

And it is now, the more I think about it. If Nik waits, who knows what the Canucks plans are? Say Benning goes out and spends big on Myers, and Woo is good enough to make the team after next year? With Edler, Hughes and Juolevi on the left side as well. Suddenly there's a lot more competition for a job. 

If Nik signs now, Benning probably doesn't go out and get Myers. If I were Niks agent, I'd be looking for an extra 1 mil bonus money so Nik can buy out his deal and then look for a 2 year 5-6 mil deal ( 3 mil per). After that Nik has his life secured no matter what. Seems like a no-brainer to me but people want what they want. 

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I can’t and won’t substantiate any of my musings nor do I even pretend to know what his actual issues were.

Did he bail on his floundering team and is that something Kesler-like, yes, I sure think so. 

Each person here will have their their hopes up today and I am not looking to pop anybody’s balloons, but I don’t mind reminding us that this player bailed on the team.

This is a character issue, IMO, at least as it relates to what I perceive as the kind of Canucks-heart I identify with. I have some reservations.

I was a Tree fan and likely still am, but the guy bailed on his team, not a fan of that. 

I dont get why people keep saying he bailed on the team.

He finished his contract with the Canucks,  and decided to sign somewhere else.  Players do it all the time.  He wanted to go back home.  He was well within his right to do so.  

It's not like he broke his contract and fled home while flipping the bird to the organization.  He didnt bail on anyone.

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The stuff I said came right from his mouth.  The other stuff you were talking about was just musings from fans.

In my eyes it is entirely different than Kesler.  Kesler was under contract and demanded to not fulfil it.

Tryamkin fulfilled his contract to us and went to play for his hometown team.  He did not feel like he was wanted or valued by management here.

How would anyone not want the big man back. He can skate and most importantly detour cheap play against anyone named Hughes Pettersson and Boeser. He is also a man who has a little bit of a mean streak! Would you want him in a 7 game series? Look how long it took Chara to be the player who hoisted the cup?

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

He finished his contract with the Canucks,  and decided to sign somewhere else.  Players do it all the time.  He wanted to go back home.  He was well within his right to do so.  

It's not like he broke his contract and fled home while flipping the bird to the organization.  He didnt bail on anyone.

I don’t have my bail-dial pinned to your extreme. 

He finished his contract, and left, as Canucks property. 

How you perceive it is your business. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't know if it was entitled as much as the culture shock part. Even his agent said recently that Nik has "matured" so take that for whatever its worth. I would think now that he's married, been playing regular pro games for a couple years, he see's the opportunity in front of him right now. 

And it is now, the more I think about it. If Nik waits, who knows what the Canucks plans are? Say Benning goes out and spends big on Myers, and Woo is good enough to make the team after next year? With Edler, Hughes and Juolevi on the left side as well. Suddenly there's a lot more competition for a job. 

If Nik signs now, Benning probably doesn't go out and get Myers. If I were Niks agent, I'd be looking for an extra 1 mil bonus money so Nik can buy out his deal and then look for a 2 year 5-6 mil deal ( 3 mil per). After that Nik has his life secured no matter what. Seems like a no-brainer to me but people want what they want. 

That’s fair - and despite my misgivings about his departure I’d welcome him back with open arms.  I believe he didn’t like the coaches but actually think it was more the culture shock / wife issue as to why he left.  If it was all coaching, he would have come back using an “out” clause already I’m sure.

I think he kicks the tires this offseason but likely comes back when his KHL contract expires... but I agree that time is ticking for him to get back over here and I wouldn’t complain if he were back next year.  Curious as to how good he is now.  Would he cover Myers’ 8 goals / 30 points? 

Maybe move Tanev in that situation and run the twin towers down the right side with Stech in the side car. Now I’m just dreaming.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

The stuff I said came right from his mouth.  The other stuff you were talking about was just musings from fans.

In my eyes it is entirely different than Kesler.  Kesler was under contract and demanded to not fulfil it.

Tryamkin fulfilled his contract to us and went to play for his hometown team.  He did not feel like he was wanted or valued by management here.

Now that most of the rebuild’s heavy lifting and dark years/days are over, you’re free to welcome him back with open arms. Obviously, I have lingering reservations about his commitment level, which as I’ve stated before, strikes me as a Character issue. 

Do I hope he comes back?

Yes. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I hope this guy has matured a lot in Russia because he was unprofessional AF here.

Byram?  We are picking 8-12 this year.  Can't win when we need to win, can't loose when we need to lose.

Maybe if we send Quinn to the draft lottery....

I have this recurring thought that after years of “losing” the draft lottery it finally all comes together.  

Home draft, another brother combo up for grabs, not the best odds but we pull it out anyways just so the conspiracy theorists can claim it’s all too perfect. 

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

That’s fair - and despite my misgivings about his departure I’d welcome him back with open arms.  I believe he didn’t like the coaches but actually think it was more the culture shock / wife issue as to why he left.  If it was all coaching, he would have come back using an “out” clause already I’m sure.

I think he kicks the tires this offseason but likely comes back when his KHL contract expires... but I agree that time is ticking for him to get back over here and I wouldn’t complain if he were back next year.  Curious as to how good he is now.  Would he cover Myers’ 8 goals / 30 points? 

Maybe move Tanev in that situation and run the twin towers down the right side with Stech in the side car. Now I’m just dreaming.

So came into camp out of shape.

Refused even a conditioning stint in minors.

Complained about ice time.

Slammed the city on the way out of town.

These are young guys so I am generally pretty forgiving if one of these issues shows up but that is a lot of red flags.

Not getting open arms from me but a chance to earn some of my respect is there but only on a two-way deal.

17 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

still a chump move, made worse by his comments snce he left.  Still, he was a kid and kids do stupid things.  I'd welcome him back, for sure.

Just now, Xbox said:

The biggest reason we lost Tryamkin to the KHL (that we had control of) was our coach. He hated WD. Can't blame him, hope he comes back and plays for Green.

tons of players hate their coach, it's no excuse to take your puck and go home.

Archived