The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin said he watched the Canucks game last night.

CanuckGAME

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

who says he's smarter?

Dobber, hockeywriters, analysts, etc. All say he has elite vision already, and it’s still improving. Some of which can draw comparisons to McDavid. 

4 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Hughes is a much smarter player and can play both. He’s also breaking records set by guys like Gaudreau and being compared to guys like Patrick Kane. He’s considered a generational talent by many for good reason. 

I'm all for taking him over Kakko but I haven't heard anyone mention Hughes and generational talent. Also what records is he beating of Gaudreau's he playing in a Jr. B league on a all-star team not college putting up 2 points per game.  

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I don't think anybody who plays with either player or coaches them would call them dead weight.  They are both warriors who give everything to the team and are great leaders.  Edler has had one of his best statistical seasons. 

Everyone has a “best before”.. and an expiry date..    I think these terms suit these 2 players in any conversation.

4 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Dobber, hockeywriters, analysts, etc. All say he has elite vision already, and it’s still improving. Some of which can draw comparisons to McDavid. 

sorry, don't see it.  I'm not even convinced he goes 1st overall.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

The Pronger videos give Jpat and Botchford something to laugh at stupid old Willie

Well, they are complete idiots who can't scribble anything of worth, let alone coach and manage an NHL hockey team.

Every player in the NHL is shown video, period - of themselves, opponents, and other players to emulate/develop aspects of their game.

Only complete noobs would find that odd, or a point of ridicule.  It's mind-numbingly dumb, but not surprising from that pair of dumbass, real-life Lloyd Christman and Harry Dunnezzz.

Almost as dense was the confusion regarding Tryamkin not stepping straight into the lineup.  His seriously limited conditioning was patently obvious - every NHL team has to enforce a baseline of professional conditioning, if for no other reason than expecting professional levels of conditioning out of all their players and not making favortist exceptions (although arguably they did make one for Tryamkin in the end, and understandably so under the circumstances).  Tryamkin's was about as witnessably bad as any player in recent memory - not a shot at him either, he's a huge, young guy - but the reality was that he was often visibly gassed and while he worked hard at it, he still had a lot of work to do.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What if he sees Hughes as taking a top 4 spot from him and having Hughes makes him less likely to want to come back?

/s

If that is his mentality, he won't make it in this league anyway. If he was worried about top 4 spots taken while he was gone, then maybe he shouldn't have left it open for the taking.

I think more realistically he's looking at the progression of the players and how they're learning. Perhaps he's studying up on what he needs to do when he returns. Hopefully he's not disappointed with how Goldobin's being scratched, but he needs to realize that is more Goldobin's doing than the team mistreating him.

10 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I'm all for taking him over Kakko but I haven't heard anyone mention Hughes and generational talent. Also what records is he beating of Gaudreau's he playing in a Jr. B league on a all-star team not college putting up 2 points per game.  

This is such an uninformed comment wadr.

The USHL is a good  league - producing a lot of good players (ie close to home = Brock Boeser) - with every team in that league made up of principally 18, 19, 20 year olds, while the USNDT team is a group of under 17yr olds - 17 as the year progresses, playing against teams that are 2 and 3 years older than them.  Calling them an "all-star" team and suggesting it's weak competition is highly misleading, as is the fact that most of them are simply too young to attend college.

To spell that out - you have to be 17 yrs of age to attend college in the U.S. - while Hughes is playing for an under 17 team - and increasing more players are being drafted out of the USHL.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

This is such an uninformed comment wadr.

The USHL is a good  league - producing a lot of good players (ie close to home = Brock Boeser) - with every team in that league made up of principally 18, 19, 20 year olds, while the USNDT team is a group of under 17yr olds - 17 as the year progresses, playing against teams that are 2 and 3 years older than them.  Calling them an "all-star" team and suggesting it's weak competition is highly misleading, as is the fact that most of them are simply too young to attend college.

To spell that out - you have to be 17 yrs of age to attend college in the U.S. - while Hughes is playing for an under 17 team - and increasing more players are being drafted out of the USHL.

I agree with you, but it's a little equivalent of Jr A in BC, imo.  They do play a fair amount of exhibition against NCAA teams, as another pointed pointed out in another thread.  That said, I do think he's hugely overrated.

Just now, stawns said:

I agree with you, but it's a little equivalent of Jr A in BC, imo.  They do play a fair amount of exhibition against NCAA teams, as another pointed pointed out in another thread.  That said, I do think he's hugely overrated.

no = it's more like the CHL than Jr A.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If that is his mentality, he won't make it in this league anyway. If he was worried about top 4 spots taken while he was gone, then maybe he shouldn't have left it open for the taking.

I think more realistically he's looking at the progression of the players and how they're learning. Perhaps he's studying up on what he needs to do when he returns. Hopefully he's not disappointed with how Goldobin's being scratched, but he needs to realize that is more Goldobin's doing than the team mistreating him.

same applies to him being upset if Goldy isn't playing.  If that were true, no need for him here then.

Just now, oldnews said:

no = it's more like the CHL than Jr A.

agree to disagree.  The USHL is a good league, probably better than many Jr A leagues, but the BCHL is a helluva good league, I'd say the USHL, on the whole, falls around that evel.  

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Well, they are complete idiots who can't scribble anything of worth, let alone coach and manage an NHL hockey team.

Every player in the NHL is shown video, period - of themselves, opponents, and other players to emulate/develop aspects of their game.

Only complete noobs would find that odd, or a point of ridicule.  It's mind-numbingly dumb, but not surprising from that pair of dumbass, real-life Lloyd Christman and Harry Dunnezzz.

Almost as dense was the confusion regarding Tryamkin not stepping straight into the lineup.  His seriously limited conditioning was patently obvious - every NHL has to enforce a baseline of professional conditioning, and his was about as witnessably bad as any player in recent memory - not a shot at him either, he's a huge, young guy, but the reality was that he was often visibly gassed and while he worked hard at it, he still had a lot of work to do.

For sure.  Jpat and Botch were particularly insufferable during those years.  Probably only less now because Botch is mercifully behind a paywall.

From my own playing / coaching I do think it’s not usually regular practice to have a coach make you watch a film on someone not yourself or an opponent... but you bring up a good point that Pronger at 6’6 would have been a useful comparison of how a big guy can play the game... especially employing a visual for a player you have a language barrier with.  From that perspective, the move made sense and whether it was effective or not, doesn’t seem like a reason to leave the league over.

Imagine how many seats would sell with Hughes and Tryamkin on the same team next season..

My fingers are crossed that we see pictures of both players training together in a few months.

.. to add, I think Luke Schenn is the perfect pro and partner for Hughes,.. and I think he could be the perfect mentor for Tryamkin, leading by example.   Hope we retain Schenn ASAP..  

how about a 50/50 draw to contribute to Tryamkins KHL buyout ;) (50-charity / 50- buyout)

1 hour ago, stawns said:

tons of players hate their coach, it's no excuse to take your puck and go home.

Yeah but WD is a really bad coach. He's not some hard*** coach that players hate, he's just a losing mentality coach that distributes ice time worse than a potato.

57 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Theo Fleury *hated* his junior coach. 

Still feel sorry for poor Tree’s relationships here? 

Lots of empathy, maybe even soy, in this thread. Lol 

Crazy comparison, I know, but how some players love the game and play through their issues is really something. Players hate their coaches all the time everyday in every league. Some more than others, I guess. 

Not exactly condoning the whole 'go home if you dont like it' mentality, but its comparing apples to oranges. Theo Fleury didn't have an option if he didnt like his coach. Russian players have the option to GTFO to KHL if they don't like it here. So he did. We dont know what Fleury would've done if he could've bolted to another league on his own volition without wrecking his career.

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

Yeah but WD is a really bad coach. He's not some hard*** coach that players hate, he's just a losing mentality coach that distributes ice time worse than a potato.

doesn't change anything

Just now, stawns said:

doesn't change anything

His main reason for leaving was family. Having a crappy coach certainly didn't help. Him watching the Canucks game last night is a great sign. I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat.

Oh and those who've watched him - do not make the mistake of thinking Tryamkin is our missing point man because of his cannon of a slapper. 
There's a reason why Chara didn't become a regular on the PP till his mid 30s, despite slapping the puck at 100mph : once you trend above 6'6, its hard to keep your slapper ON goal and not have it go 2 feet above the bar. Tryamkin, like Chara, also misses high on most of his slappers. 

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

For sure.  Jpat and Botch were particularly insufferable during those years.  Probably only less now because Botch is mercifully behind a paywall.

From my own playing / coaching I do think it’s not usually regular practice to have a coach make you watch a film on someone not yourself or an opponent... but you bring up a good point that Pronger at 6’6 would have been a useful comparison of how a big guy can play the game... especially employing a visual for a player you have a language barrier with.  From that perspective, the move made sense and whether it was effective or not, doesn’t seem like a reason to leave the league over.

and not only a language barrier, but also coming from large ice to small, and a NA game that is somewhat distinct from the European game and not necessarily easy to translate.

I think it's pretty common practice to show players videos of their (usually more developed) comparables - and even a fair sample of public comments made by players to that effect - ie I also recall Ryan Ellis has spoken publicly about being shown video of other smaller stature defensemen to help him develop his defensive game as an 'undersized' defenseman (I don't recall who the exact examples he was to emulate, but effective, smaller NHL defensemen).  I guess David Poile et al are also idiots (idiots that just happen to perenially re-produce one of the best bluelines in the NHL...)  Absolutely nothing wrong with expecting players to give their attention to improving.  Even the way this non-issue is framed - as if Tryamkin were 'locked' in a room and forced to watch video - makes me laugh with the new-age poor-me b.s., as if being a professional and doing one's homework makes a player a victim of a looney coach.  To me that sounds like a downright idiotic narrative spun by morons that aren't athletes, aren't students of the game, and aren't serving any informational purposes with the drivel they publish.

I have no problem with him coming back (if he even wants to) but Benning needs to sit him down and have a serious talk about entitlement.  No guarantees of playing time this go around.  He needs to come here ready to play and earn his spot just like the rest of the team.

Archived