The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The right to bare arms......not really, this thread officially hijacked...it's all 'Edumacation' chat now.

bishopshodan

4 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

sure. Can be. 

But someone who is well dressed *IS* communicating to me that they are better organized, care about meeting expectations and have better attention to detail than the disheveled person who dresses lazy. 
These things DO matter in the professional world and rightfully so. 

What does bare arms have to do with not  being well dressed....... ?

Would you prefer BC female politicians to be required to  wear the Burqa..... ?  Is that  more well dressed than bare arms ?

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

What does bare arms have to do with not  being well dressed....... ?

Would you prefer BC female politicians to be required to  wear the Burqa..... ?  Is that  more well dressed than bare arms ?

i would prefer to have a professional dress code in the legislature. Professional dress code, for either genders, involves covered arms.

Where do you get Burqa from ?!?

Just now, canuckistani said:

sure. Can be. 

But someone who is well dressed *IS* communicating to me that they are better organized, care about meeting expectations and have better attention to detail than the disheveled person who dresses lazy. 
These things DO matter in the professional world and rightfully so. 

They certainly do. They just don't speak to ones abilities.

What I think this boils down to is that you and I have a different view on what constitutes an "ability". Time management, punctuality, good grooming....all important, but all things that anyone can do. There is no special level of knowledge, or physical prowess required to be able to accomplish these feats. Ergo: not abilities in my estimation.

Solving differential equations, framing a house, hitting a 98 MpH fastball....these are all things that not just anyone can do. Hence, abilities.

At least, that's how I define it. Obviously, you see it differently.

Just now, canuckistani said:

i would prefer to have a professional dress code in the legislature. Professional dress code, for either genders, involves covered arms.

Perhaps in 1950's  that was the dress code.....    Thankfully humans have evolved since then.  This just seems like another instance of women shaming / body shaming.    

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

They certainly do. They just don't speak to ones abilities.

What I think this boils down to is that you and I have a different view on what constitutes an "ability". Time management, punctuality, good grooming....all important, but all things that anyone can do. There is no special level of knowledge, or physical prowess required to be able to accomplish these feats. Ergo: not abilities in my estimation.

Solving differential equations, framing a house, hitting a 98 MpH fastball....these are all things that not just anyone can do. Hence, abilities.

At least, that's how I define it. Obviously, you see it differently.

They do speak of abilities. Time management, meeting expectations, attention to details *ARE* abilities. This is why they matter in the professional world. 

These are NOT things 'anyone' can do and as a life-long STEM guy with 20+ years of experience, i assure you, we find people who have the ability to manage time, stress and expecations are FAR RARER than people who can just solve differential equations or complexity analysis. 

32 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. We have a campus here, one in Terrace, one in Smithers and smaller ones in Hazelton and Haida Gwaii

I was gonna make a joke...

But good luck on making people think more.

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Perhaps in 1950's  that was the dress code.....    Thankfully humans have evolved since then.  This just seems like another instance of women shaming / body shaming.    

more like de-volved. 

This is why most of your actual hard fields that require education and training (STEM) have disproportionate representation from people who grew up OUTSIDE Canada. 

You can see it as you wish, there is no body shaming at saying we expect our legislature to have dress code for BOTH GENDERS and not dress casually as if its a block party. 

23 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

more like de-volved. 

This is why most of your actual hard fields

hahahaa - you sure seem pretty full of yourself.....

Who are you or  I to judge what fields are hard  or not.   Humans have many different intelligences... and math/science may be only one limited part of the brain..   

Don't to be quick to declare your own personal preference as  a more  higher developed intelligence.....

Some of societies most intelligent people may be actually creative left brain types.  Social IQ is equally important in successful  functioning in the workplace.

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

hahahaa - you sure seem pretty full of yourself.....

Who are you or  I to judge what fields are hard  or not.   Humans have many different intelligences... and math/science may be only one limited part of the brain..   

If you think math is just as easy as learning history, then you are clear example of why the education system of the western world is failing. 

Don't to be quick to declare your own personal preference as  a more  higher developed intelligence.....

Mathematics , Physics, Chemistry, etc. are objectively, harder than history, languages, geography, philosophy, etc. easily quantified by the fact that same X amount of hours dedicated at these fields yeilds a far lower competency rates in STEM fields than in other fields. 

STEM degrees *are* harder - not because i say so, but because the course load is higher than in Arts as well as the GPAs are lower - despite STEM fields having higher admission GPA than arts. These are objective facts. 

Some of societies most intelligent people may be actually creative left brain types.  Social IQ is equally important in successful  functioning in the workplace.

then people with social IQ should know that apperance is communicative and species homo sapiens is more impressed with those who show attention to how they dress than those who just throw on unwashed laundry. 

Don't mistake abilities for skills. 

'Executive Function is responsible for these five skills:

• Paying attention
  • Organizing and planning
  • Initiating tasks and staying focused on them
  • Regulating emotions
  • Self-monitoring (keeping track of what your doing)'

If I see a disheveled dressed 'professional' , it tells me about his organization/time management skills or lack thereof.

How we present ourselves displays how we care (or don't care) about our appearance to others.

Keep in mind, 93% of communication is non-verbal. 55 percent of the message is transmitted by the speaker's appearance and body language.

Also, first impressions (and opinions) are made within half a minute...and it takes several meetings before that impression or opinion changes.

36 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

If you think math is just as easy as learning history, then you are clear example of why the education system of the western world is failing. 

Mathematics , Physics, Chemistry, etc. are objectively, harder than history, languages, geography, philosophy, etc. easily quantified by the fact that same X amount of hours dedicated at these fields yeilds a far lower competency rates in STEM fields than in other fields. 

STEM degrees *are* harder - not because i say so, but because the course load is higher than in Arts as well as the GPAs are lower - despite STEM fields having higher admission GPA than arts. These are objective facts. 

then people with social IQ should know that apperance is communicative and species homo sapiens is more impressed with those who show attention to how they dress than those who just throw on unwashed laundry. 

Complete load of crap.

UBC used to require all first year students to pass a standardize english assessment.

Students could not move on pass first year without passing this exam.

Pretty much was easy to pass for most faculties students.... except the Engineers who failed it consistently.

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Complete load of crap.

UBC used to require all first year students to pass a standardize english assessment.

Students could not move on pass first year without passing this exam.

Pretty much was easy to pass for most faculties students.... except the Engineers who failed it consistently.

This is because engineering has the most foreign students in Canadian universities on average.

Look, its a fact that STEM fields require the highest High School GPA to get in - higher than Arts and Business.  SFU, UWaterloo, UBC - they publish the going GPA for admissions ( As in, what the average GPA of admitted people are for that semester). STEM is top of the list - usually Engineering or CompSci are the absolute top, followed by Faculty of Science & Math.

It is also a fact that STEM graduates have the lowest GPA on average and the highest drop-out rates. These are also facts. All easily discernable from the universities themselves. 
When the highest GPA students from High School go into field X and get lower grades on average than those who went to field Y, its objective, empiric proof that X is harder than Y. 

10 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

This is because engineering has the most foreign students in Canadian universities on average.

Haha.. not when i went to UBC.

Engineering at UBC was pretty much 100 %  local students back then.

The fact is Stem type students typically suck at English communication skills .....

Ranking one type of  intelligence over another is simply over simplification of what Intelligence really represents....

26 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Haha.. not when i went to UBC.

Engineering at UBC was pretty much 100 %  local students back then.

The fact is Stem type students typically suck at English communication skills .....

Ranking one type of  intelligence over another is simply over simplification of what Intelligence really represents....

no one is ranking one type of intelligence over another, that is your red-herring.

I simply stated that the STEM fields are harder. Objective facts prove that they *are* harder than business or arts fields. And there's a reason why Canadian born are seriously under-represented in STEM fields unless they are ethnic minorities. Its because of attitude like yours, that's diluted all education and taken away the work ethic, ability to cope, handle pressure, etc. from our kids.

I notice this with new grads even in STEM that are local folks - most do not have the time management, organization and handling stress skills their peers from 20 years ago had when they were recent grads.

35 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

no one is ranking one type of intelligence over another, that is your red-herring.

I simply stated that the STEM fields are harder.

Stem fields are not harder.....  that is subjective.

Ask a few UBC engineers to be creative, use language skills,  work in groups.... play basketball ... or even be interesting at a party......  Just kidding  of course but humans are complex and full of many many skills / intelligences.....

You are showing a real  lack of awareness / appreciation for the multi facets of intelligence....  in this discussion.

PS - forgot to mention both my daughters were former BC scholarship winners in honors math and science.

Both went on to university in more creative faculties as they both wanted jobs that were creative and more social.

Working in a lab, hospital , pharmacy or engineering firm would have been a disaster for each of them .....

Both are doing fantastic now in their mid 20's with great income, full benefits including employer matched pensions....

Archived