The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The right to bare arms......not really, this thread officially hijacked...it's all 'Edumacation' chat now.

bishopshodan

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Stem fields are not harder.....  that is subjective.

No, it is not subjective. Again, STEM has the highest admission GPA of all university admissions and the lowest graduation rates as well as the lowest graduating GPAs. This is DESPITE STEM fields requiring higher average GPA to stay enrolled in the program ( in SFU for eg, STEM field students need to maintain a min. of 2.4 GPA to stay enrolled. Every other field, its 2.00). 

Ask a few UBC engineers to be creative, use language skills,  work in groups.... play basketball ... or even be interesting at a party......  Just kidding  of course but humans are complex and full of many many skills / intelligences.....

You are showing a real  lack of awareness / appreciation for the multi facets of intelligence....  in this discussion.

I am not, you are imagining things. I am saying that STEM fields are the hardest fields in university. Objective facts bear this out.  STEM fields have higher honors credit requirements than non-STEM fields. Honors in UBC Arts or Business program requires 120 credits. Honors in STEM require 140 credits. All still packed in the 4 years in recommended course loads.

Higher requirement for GPA to get in the program, higher GPA requirement to stay enrolled, doing more courses in the same prescribed time-frame all are objectively harder.And it is not a coincidence, given the kind of attitude you espouse and how such attitude permeates Canadian society, why non-ethnic Canadian born students are severely under-represented in the harder fields of study.

PS - forgot to mention both my daughters were former BC scholarship winners in honors math and science.

Both went on to university in more creative faculties as they both wanted jobs that were creative and more social.

Working in a lab, hospital , pharmacy or engineering firm would have been a disaster for each of them .....

Both are doing fantastic now in their mid 20's with great income, full benefits including employer matched pensions....

Good for them. It has no relevance whatsoever to what I am saying. FYI unless you are literally into management or customer service, there are not that many jobs that require more social skills than engineering consultancy.

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

No, it is not subjective. Again, STEM has the highest admission GPA of all university admissions and the lowest graduation rates as well as the lowest graduating GPAs. This is DESPITE STEM fields requiring higher average GPA to stay enrolled in the program ( in SFU for eg, STEM field students need to maintain a min. of 2.4 GPA to stay enrolled. Every other field, its 2.00). 

I always thought that University engineering programs here in BC were pretty easy to get into.... so few girls applying...

UBC Business program is way harder to gain a spot.

Have you ever actually attended a BC university... ? Just curious ?

I always thought that University engineering programs here in BC were pretty easy to get into.... so few girls applying...

Doesn't work that way. Engineering is massively popular with guys, way more than it is with girls, just like how Nursing is way more popular with girls than it is with guys. 

UBC Business program is way harder to gain a spot.

No. For undergrads, STEM is always the highest admission standards to get in. 

Have you ever actually attended a BC university... ? Just curious ?

Relevance ? 

https://www.sfu.ca/students/admission/admission-requirements/admission-averages.html

https://www.ubyssey.ca/blog/ubc-admission-stats-2016-averages-acceptance-rates-and-also-baileys-legacy/

See for yourself. Some Business schools these days don't even care much for GPAs, its more 'interview based' nonsense. 

This doesn't even include the fact that once you are in, STEM requires higher GPA to stay enrolled than Arts or Business, requires more courses for Honors and has the lowest graduation rates, thereby, objectively, making it tougher. 

4 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Doesn't work that way. Engineering is massively popular with guys, way more than it is with girls, just like how Nursing is way more popular with girls than it is with guys. 

No. For undergrads, STEM is always the highest admission standards to get in. 

100 %  wrong.

UBC Commerce is much more difficult to gain acceptance than UBC engineering....

You have clearly no knowledge of UBC entrance requirements...

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

100 %  wrong.

Stop talking nonsense.

I just posted you the GPAs for admissions for UBC  in 2016/17 calendar year. Same goes for SFU. Next time, read before you yap. 

In no world, is undergrad commerce harder to gain acceptance at than undergrad engineering. Undergrad commerce is a decent degree, but its far more worthwhile to get MBA after literally any other degree than waste 4 years getting a BCom. And in no world is a BCOM a harder degree than literally every single STEM degree. Course loads prove this. BCOM is an easier degree than some of the arts degrees themselves ( BA in Economics for eg), nevermind STEM. 
Half the courses are 'read and regurgitate' courses in the program. 

Simple fix, increase the A/C.

Sorry, these are tax payer funded elected government officials making more money than most  - they should be wearing appropriate business attire - they are not waitresses.  

9 hours ago, Heretic said:

Simple fix, increase the A/C.

Sorry, these are tax payer funded elected government officials making more money than most  - they should be wearing appropriate business attire - they are not waitresses.  

Even waitresses are held to a higher standard, except at Hooters. 

So it might make sense to let the women folk at legislature run braless and showing as much skin as they want seeing as how the place is full of boobs anyway.

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

100 %  wrong.

Just curious if you have ever spent any time outside of the lower mainland? Many other countries put Canada to shame when it comes to professionalism and student achievement/dedication. There are many reasons for this but people wearing their jammies out in public is one symptom of Cnadada falling quickly behind the rest of the developed and developing world. It's a disgrace.

12 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Stop talking nonsense.

I just posted you the GPAs for admissions for UBC  in 2016/17 calendar year. Same goes for SFU. Next time, read before you yap. 

You are clueless and clearly have no experience/knowledge of UBC under grad requirements.

UBC commerce  historically has a higher highschool GPA requirement than UBC engineering.

Has UBC now moved 100 % to broadband entrance ?

The fact that you don't even know this shows that you have zero knowledge of how UBC or likely BC post secondary's work.

Have you ever attended a university in Canada.. ?  

Keep yapping about things you know nothing about, its providing me with quality humor.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

You are clueless and clearly have no experience/knowledge of UBC under grad requirements.

UBC commerce consistently has a higher highschool GPA requirement than UBC engineering.

Again, stop talking nonsense and learn to admit your error when its clearly pointed out. I posted the average GPA of UBC admissions for the latest release, which is 2016-17 data. UBC commerce is lower than UBC engineering. The proof has been posted, yet you argue. 

Have you ever attended a university in Canada.. ?  

Keep yapping about things you know nothing about, its providing me with quality humor.

What is the relevance of me attending a university in Canada, when anyone who is actually educated enough can dig up admissions data for univrersities ?

I posted you the data, from UBC and SFU that their engineering & sciences admission standard is higher than business school. So why are you still arguing against data FROM UBC/SFU ?

We can all see here who is yapping about things they don't know.

Not to mention, you still cannot address the fact that honors in  science & engineering requires more creds in the same 4 year span as business & arts, have lower graduation rates and higher continued enrollment standards - these are objective definitions of HARDER programs. 

15 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Again, stop talking nonsense and learn to admit your error when its clearly pointed out. I posted the average GPA of UBC admissions for the latest release, which is 2016-17 data. UBC commerce is lower than UBC engineering. The proof has been posted, yet you argue. 

Keep yapping.

Did you even look at the link you posted.  It shows UBC commerce 7 of the last 9 years as having higher GPA requirements required for entrance ?

You are like my neighbours small yappy dog.....  running around the yard yapping at passing cars.....

Keep yapping.

Did you even look at the link you posted.  It shows UBC commerce 7 of the last 9 years as having higher GPA requirements required for entrance ?

You are like my neighbours small yappy dog.....  running around the yard yapping at passing cars.....

Did you look at the average in the link ? 

BA: 87.7 / 87.8

BASC: 92.8 / 92.6

BCOM: 92.6 / 90.2

BDSC: 80.7 / (N/A)

BSC: 92.9 / 91.7

Why are you running away from the fact that  STEM honors are harder than commerce ? Do you need me to post the honors cred requirement for these degrees too ?

BCOM admissions are way easier, since they don't REQUIRE the hardest high school subjects to get admitted. 

You are like the dog you describe - arguing from a position of total ignorance and twisting the points made, just because you can't handle the simple truth that commerce, arts etc. degrees are WAY easier than STEM degrees. 

Anyways, this whole derailment of the thread is all due to me noting a simple fact that thanks to attitudes like @kingofsurrey, where ideological dogmatism ends up devaluing high standards and meritocratic gain in Canadian society. 

I have no horses in this race - i am an immigrant and if Canada does not suit me, i will leave. But you canadians may wanna care about why not just in Canada but all across the west, the fundamental basis to the western dominance of the world - mastery of science & tech - is being completely hollowed out. It does not serve me in the slightest to point this fact out - the rest of the world is catching up because the west has gotten into the mode of giving up doing what makes sense, in favor of doing what sounds right. 

When your own home demographics argue on why there should be no dress code for elected officials, the problem of standards, becomes a dire one.

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

BCOM admissions are way easier, since they don't REQUIRE the hardest high school subjects to get admitted. 

You are like the dog you describe - arguing from a position of total ignorance and twisting the points made, just because you can't handle the simple truth that commerce, arts etc. degrees are WAY easier than STEM degrees. 

The fact that you think Math , Bi and Chem are  harder subjects to get a high grade compared to highschool courses in  History ,French, Eng Literature. etc...  show you have zero experience in the BC education system.....

Your willingness to subjectively rank highschool courses or even different intelligences as more worthy is most likely a product of where you were educated... or not educated.....

Keep yapping.  It is giving me alot of laughs today. 

On 3/29/2019 at 10:38 AM, Fateless said:

Quite frankly, this is another example of "feminism" going too far. Those women do not look professional when wearing sleeveless shirts. Those women were elected to represent their local constituents and now instead of actually dealing with issues they were elected for, they're pining for attention and changing rules so that they can look unprofessional while at work. Its ridiculous. This rule is not there to take away the rights of women but rather to keep a professional atmosphere. If they don't like it, step down.

There's also a difference between someone with short sleeves, or sleeves to the forearms, compared to those who are basically spagetti strap tops or straight sleeveless. Just because something looks nice or fancy does not mean it is professional. I'm a lawyer. I wouldn't show up to Court in a muscle shirt because that is unprofessional. Some guys look good in muscle shirts, but that is not the point. The point is that it is not appropriate dress code for the setting you work in and if I didn't like the dress code, then I would have found a different line of work. I swear all these people are just trying to water the rules down so they can eventually show up to work in their Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops.

And in any event, dress code is super lax on women in any event. The dress code for guys in the political world and in the legal world is suit and tie. Its uncomfortable and stuffy, but that is the professional wear. Women on the other hand (now I'm speaking solely from anecdotal evidence in the Courtroom) show up wearing loose shirts and short skirts. I've seen women show up in flats. I WISH that I could wear normal foot wear to the courtroom rather than some expensive leather shoes, but the standard for men is quite frankly HIGHER than it is for women (in my experience). So my response to the action from these ladies is that they're just coming across entitled.

Bring on the sweatpants and ice cream

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Anyways, this whole derailment of the thread is all due to me noting a simple fact that thanks to attitudes like @kingofsurrey, where ideological dogmatism ends up devaluing high standards and meritocratic gain in Canadian society. 

I have no horses in this race - i am an immigrant and if Canada does not suit me, i will leave. But you canadians may wanna care about why not just in Canada but all across the west, the fundamental basis to the western dominance of the world - mastery of science & tech - is being completely hollowed out. It does not serve me in the slightest to point this fact out - the rest of the world is catching up because the west has gotten into the mode of giving up doing what makes sense, in favor of doing what sounds right. 

When your own home demographics argue on why there should be no dress code for elected officials, the problem of standards, becomes a dire one.

Are you not Canadian now?

Archived