The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The right to bare arms......not really, this thread officially hijacked...it's all 'Edumacation' chat now.

bishopshodan

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

The fact that you think Math , Bi and Chem are  harder subjects to get a high grade compared to highschool courses in  History ,French, Eng Literature. etc...  show you have zero experience in the BC education system.....

They are harder to get grades in, in any system. Because of the nature of the topic. Any topic that requires understanding over rote memory is a harder topic. The fact that you are arguing against this, shows how little education you actually have. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Your willingness to subjectively rank highschool courses or even different intelligences as more worthy is most likely a product of where you were educated... or not educated.....

Keep yapping.  It is giving me alot of laughs today. 

Nobody said anything about intelligence, thats your red herring. i am ranking the subjects by hardness. And anyone who thinks quantum mechanic is just as simple (or hard) as learning history, is just clueless. 

Your 'history is just as hard as nuclear physics' diatribe *IS* whats wrong with the canadian education system and which is why its the immigrant and visible minorities who hold descisive edge in STEM fields that are, as a class, the definition of the upper middle class job base by sheer quantity. 

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

Fair enough. i guess i should've said 'you born canadians who don't know whats out there' instead.

Thanks for the clarification.

to be honest that statement ground my gears a bit.  But i had a late night so.....

27 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Your 'history is just as hard as nuclear physics' diatribe *IS* whats wrong with the canadian education system and which is why its the immigrant and visible minorities who hold descisive edge in STEM fields that are, as a class, the definition of the upper middle class job base by sheer quantity. 

Canadian education system is one of top performing education systems in the world.

Where are you from again ?

The fact that you don't even know this makes me wonder what other rubbish you have been posting here on this thread.

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canadian education system is one of top performing education systems in the world.

Lol. No. That used to be true, right now, no more. 

Where are you from again ?

Asia. 

The fact that you don't even know this makes me wonder what other rubbish you have been posting here on this thread.

That isn't a fact. I've experienced Asian schooling, British schooling, American schooling and post graduate Canadian schooling ( my Masters is from SFU). Canadian is the easiest by far. And with my kids in the secondary schools, i am forced to get them private tutoring, because they are taught in grade 7 the level of math i mastered in grade 5. Not good enough. 
You may not know this, but MOST immigrant parents/visible minority parents get tutoring for our kids because of how low Canadian schooling standards are. And thats why our kids dominate the harder fields in university.

When 75-80% of the hard subjects in university, such as STEM, are dominated by the demographic that makes up 20% of your nation, its an indictment of your education system and culture that de-prioritizes the fundamental basis to modern life and the biggest section of upper middle class - STEM. 

With attitudes like yours, is the main reason why your current gen is less educated, less capable and less qualified than the generation 20+ years ago. I see this in my field all the time. The engineers i worked with 20 years ago were far superior in virtually everything except handling computers than the engineers who apply for jobs today. 

29 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Asia. 

That isn't a fact. I've experienced Asian schooling, British schooling, American schooling and post graduate Canadian schooling ( my Masters is from SFU). Canadian is the easiest by far. And with my kids in the secondary schools, i am forced to get them private tutoring, because they are taught in grade 7 the level of math i mastered in grade 5. Not good enough. 
You may not know this, but MOST immigrant parents/visible minority parents get tutoring for our kids because of how low Canadian schooling standards are. And thats why our kids dominate the harder fields in university.

You are clearly ill informed about Canadian education.  

Hopefully as your kids get older you can gain more experience / knowledge  / appreciation for the quality education your kids are getting here in BC.

You are out to lunch on this issue.  I wish you well in your  new country but i also wish that you can gain further knowledge of how things are being done here in BC in terms of education. 

Have a look at this

/www.google.ca/search?q=oecd+education+rankings&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj327C40KrhAhXBi54KHdobCqoQ_AUIDygC&biw=978&bih=533#imgdii=3kpvUVJBc9yRhM:&imgrc=FZkMd-n0hsx31M:

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You are clearly ill informed about Canadian education. 

Yeah, a dude who did his masters in Canadian system and who has kids in the Canadian system, while himself growing up in an Asian, British and American system, is ignorant about Canadian system.

But you - mr 'i am from lower mainland and have only been to Alberta' knows better. Right. Makes a lot of sense 

Hopefully as your kids get older you can gain more experience / knowledge  / appreciation for the quality education your kids are getting here in BC.

I do. Which is why like the thousands of Indian, Chinese, Arabs, eastern europeans, iranians, Filipinos - all of them who can afford it - we give our kids after school tutoring to keep them competetive by WORLD standards and not just be happy meeting the low Canadian standards.

You are out to lunch on this issue.  I wish you well in your  new country but i also wish that you can gain further knowledge of how things are being done here in BC in terms of education. 

Nothing more than simplistic national/regional pride talking from your behalf. Canadian school system sucks. I know this because i see what my kids are learning at what grade, how well and how far ahead me and their mom were. I see this, just like practially ALL the immigrant families do, which is why it is us, not Canadian born white people who don't know better ( due to lack of exposure), that fill our kids in the afterschool tutoring programs. 

4 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Yeah, a dude who did his masters in Canadian system and who has kids in the Canadian system, while himself growing up in an Asian, British and American system, is ignorant about Canadian system.

But you - mr 'i am from lower mainland and have only been to Alberta' knows better. Right. Makes a lot of sense 

I do. Which is why like the thousands of Indian, Chinese, Arabs, eastern europeans, iranians, Filipinos - all of them who can afford it - we give our kids after school tutoring to keep them competetive by WORLD standards and not just be happy meeting the low Canadian standards.

Nothing more than simplistic national/regional pride talking from your behalf. Canadian school system sucks. I know this because i see what my kids are learning at what grade, how well and how far ahead me and their mom were. I see this, just like practially ALL the immigrant families do, which is why it is us, not Canadian born white people who don't know better ( due to lack of exposure), that fill our kids in the afterschool tutoring programs. 

You are ill informed.  You really need to read up before you try to discuss this topic.

Actually kind of disturbing to see someone welcomed into our country... who then goes online to post untruths and lies about the Canadian Education system..... 

PISA-worldwide-ranking-average-score-of-

14 hours ago, Heretic said:

Simple fix, increase the A/C.

Sorry, these are tax payer funded elected government officials making more money than most  - they should be wearing appropriate business attire - they are not waitresses.  

Unfortunately AC is now considerd sexist

30 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You are ill informed.  You really need to read up before you try to discuss this topic.

Actually kind of disturbing to see someone welcomed into our country... who then goes online to post untruths and lies about the Canadian Education system..... 

I will take my first hand experience of these education systems than some feel good rankings made up by western people to continue de-funding education and lowering its quality, to breed mediocrity.

As i said, go to the afterschool tutoring service centers and SEE who their clients are - 99% of them are people like me, who see how far behind the Canadian system is to what we went through.

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

I will take my first hand experience of these education systems than some feel good rankings made up by western people to continue de-funding education and lowering its quality, to breed mediocrity.

As i said, go to the afterschool tutoring service centers and SEE who their clients are - 99% of them are people like me, who see how far behind the Canadian system is to what we went through.

Sounds  more like 99 % of them are ill informed people like you. 

trivial issue, who cares if a woman is showing her arms or a man is wearing a blazer? the entire conversation sounds like something that some stuffy parents would debate in 1955. dress codes seem like a thing of the past.

lol @ the stem debate

i have no horse in that race as obviously different forms of intelligence exist, but i still have PTSD from my grad school days, where I worked in an arts department and had to TA. TA'ing stem students was shocking. most of them were completely incapable of formulating their own opinions on anything, most refused to participate in any form of conversation that would put them on the hook for abstraction. some couldn't even seem to read very well, let alone communicate what they're reading effectively and thoughtfully.

not saying they aren't intelligent people. but what i had to deal with was clearly a trend, and it was disheartening to see how education streams have become niche things, and most students are complete idiots outside of their specialization

Since we are way off the rails.... 

Schools ? pfft ....learn the drums

https://consequenceofsound.net/2015/10/its-official-drummers-are-smarter-than-you-and-everybody-else/

Back on trivial topic.

The problem with this debate is that it lacks equality.

I know it seems unlikely and I'm being kinda silly...but I don't want to see a future where men are also showing ....leg,...wearing a tank top? ...hairy arm pits? ( this includes some women). I would think the legislature is where we would want the most professional, un-distracting attire we can have.

So, there has to be some type of dress code..or not? same for men and women right?

Sleeveless men would look ridiculous! but awesome, so  I might be changing my tune and hoping for a future where we get a 'Borat' type guy making a statement or just people really expressing themselves. They will look like a potpourri of colours and styles in all professional atmospheres.

Men of the world unite untie. 

2 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Asia. 

When 75-80% of the hard subjects in university, such as STEM, are dominated by the demographic that makes up 20% of your nation, its an indictment of your education system and culture that de-prioritizes the fundamental basis to modern life and the biggest section of upper middle class - STEM. 

With attitudes like yours, is the main reason why your current gen is less educated, less capable and less qualified than the generation 20+ years ago. I see this in my field all the time. The engineers i worked with 20 years ago were far superior in virtually everything except handling computers than the engineers who apply for jobs today. 

I don’t disagree entirely.

three kids in the public school system and it caters to the most challenged student.

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Since we are way off the rails.... 

Schools ? pfft ....learn the drums

https://consequenceofsound.net/2015/10/its-official-drummers-are-smarter-than-you-and-everybody-else/

Back on trivial topic.

The problem with this debate is that it lacks equality.

I know it seems unlikely and I'm being kinda silly...but I don't want to see a future where men are also showing ....leg,...wearing a tank top? ...hairy arm pits? ( this includes some women). I would think the legislature is where we would want the most professional, un-distracting attire we can have.

So, there has to be some type of dress code..or not? same for men and women right?

Sleeveless men would look ridiculous! but awesome, so  I might be changing my tune and hoping for a future where we get a 'Borat' type guy making a statement or just people really expressing themselves. They will look like a potpourri of colours and styles in all professional atmospheres.

Men of the world unite untie. 

Metal drummers are genius

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

three kids in the public school system and it caters to the most challenged student.

2 kids of mine successfully attended  UVIC, UBC, and Laval and graduated with honors - both had amazing education through BC Public schools. 

I disagree 100 %

BC public schools are outstanding. Canadian Public Education is world class. 

We live in a world now with parents over parenting  and play the victim card by blaming teachers for their childs lack of success.  We see in the USA parents bribing post secondary's and here in BC it shows as parents blaming our school system ( which by the way is the envy of the rest of the world ) 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us-judge-schools-rule-for-girls-to-wear-skirts-breaks-law/ar-BBVo632?ocid=spartandhp

"

RALEIGH, N.C. - A North Carolina charter school promoting traditional values engaged in unconstitutional sex discrimination by requiring girls to wear skirts, a federal judge has ruled.

U.S. District Judge Malcolm Howard ruled that Charter Day School can't enforce the skirts-only rule as part of its dress code that punishes violations with suspensions and even expulsion. No child has been expelled for violating the dress code since the school opened in 2000, Howard said in a decision filed on Thursday.

But girls are clearly treated differently than boys at the kindergarten through 8th grade school in Leland, about 10 miles (16.1 kilometres) west of Wilmington, Howard ruled. That's a violation of the U.S. Constitution's equal protection requirements.

The guardians of three girls attending the school sued the school in 2016. They said the dress code forces girls to be colder in the winter and "forces them to pay constant attention to the positioning of their legs during class, distracting them from learning, and has led them to avoid certain activities altogether, such as climbing or playing sports during recess, all for fear of exposing their undergarments and being reprimanded by teachers or teased by boys," the judge said in summarizing the plaintiffs' arguments.

One of the mothers suing with the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of their daughters said the judge's decision means a girl's comfort and freedom to move is on par with their male classmates.

"All I wanted was for my daughter and every other girl at school to have the option to wear pants so she could play outside, sit comfortably, and stay warm in the winter," Bonnie Peltier said in a statement provided by the ACLU. "But it's disappointing that it took a court order to force the school to accept the simple fact that, in 2019, girls should have the choice to wear pants."

Charter schools are public schools — funded by state taxpayers — that are allowed to do many things differently than traditional public schools. In the case of Charter Day School, it is run by a non-profit organization but contracts with a for-profit company to run business and academic operations.

Howard ruled that although North Carolina charter schools and their non-profit board members are not the state's agents in every respect, Charter Day School's leaders were acting under colour of state law when they adopted a disciplinary code that included punishing children who didn't wear the prescribed uniforms.

Baker Mitchell founded Roger Bacon Academy, which runs the school and three other charters in the Wilmington area. An attorney for Mitchell, Herb Berkowitz, issued a statement on Mitchell's behalf late Friday mentioning aspects of the ruling that favoured Charter Day School and saying school officials are analyzing the remainder of the opinion and will meet with legal counsel to discuss options.

Members of the school's non-profit board said its student uniform requiring all students to wear white or navy blue tops tucked into khaki or blue bottoms is part of its traditional values education known to parents when they enrol their children.

Changing any of the school's specific requirements risks changing its broader goal and results that have included test scores higher than nearby traditional public schools, the judge summarized the board as contending.

But school leaders failed to provide "any facts showing specifically how the skirts requirement furthers this success," Howard wrote.

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

It's been 8 years since I graduated high school and I feel the exact same way especially after you go travel around the world. I don't think it's about just providing kids with resources which we have. We should be challenging them which we don't do enough of. It definitely feels like the curriculum was designed not to make sure that it suited the learning habits of the average student but so that poorest student can still achieve a passing grade. We coddle the kids and they emerge often unprepared for the next phase of their life.

14 minutes ago, Toews said:

It's been 8 years since I graduated high school and I feel the exact same way especially after you go travel around the world. I don't think it's about just providing kids with resources which we have. We should be challenging them which we don't do enough of. It definitely feels like the curriculum was designed not to make sure that it suited the learning habits of the average student but so that poorest student can still achieve a passing grade. We coddle the kids and they emerge often unprepared for the next phase of their life.

A little reading for you....  Many things have changed in BC from when you were in highschool.......

https://wordpress.viu.ca/ciel/2017/12/28/5-key-changes-in-bcs-new-k-12-curriculum/

British Columbia’s Kindergarten to Grade 12 education system is being updated and enhanced. New mandated curriculum for Kindergarten (K) to Grade 9 began in Fall of 2016. New Grade 10-12 curricula will roll out in Fall 2018 (Grade 10) and Fall 2019 (Grades 11 and 12). As early as Fall 2020, post-secondary institutions could start seeing a wave of students who have had some of their education with the new curriculum

5 Key Changes in BC’s New K-12 Curriculum: What are the Implications for Post-Secondary?

3 hours ago, Toews said:

Needles to say the importance of available time made by the parents for extra learning.

Archived