The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The right to bare arms......not really, this thread officially hijacked...it's all 'Edumacation' chat now.

bishopshodan

Thank God aviation is moving away from this strick dress code...

Honestly wear a fancy aviator's uniform is cool and impotent but honestly is a pain in the ass because these uniforms become dirty easily  and you have to wash it constantly 

Because when you have to deal with engines constantly this can be a problem...

Many bosses today only require a simplified version of it and sometimes just a social suit is more than enough and for me it's just fine...

At least for me how you dress is not an issue. Ok if you go on an extreme dangerous job like offshore oil exploration, chemicals or you work on the military yes a dress code might be useful 

Aside from that use the common sense. You don't have to dress like a king for an executive meeting but you can't also go naked, a half between is more than enough...

On 3/30/2019 at 1:23 PM, canuckistani said:

I will take my first hand experience of these education systems than some feel good rankings made up by western people to continue de-funding education and lowering its quality, to breed mediocrity.

As i said, go to the afterschool tutoring service centers and SEE who their clients are - 99% of them are people like me, who see how far behind the Canadian system is to what we went through.

And you're saying that the Canadian education system is bad? I'd be more concerned about wherever you got your education if you think that relying on anecdotal evidence is more reliable than global statistics.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:25 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Sounds  more like 99 % of them are ill informed people like you. 

explain to me, how are people, in a position to compare their own education, when they went through a different system, to what their kids are getting, is 'ill-informed'.

On 3/30/2019 at 4:08 PM, kingofsurrey said:

2 kids of mine successfully attended  UVIC, UBC, and Laval and graduated with honors - both had amazing education through BC Public schools. 

I disagree 100 %

BC public schools are outstanding. Canadian Public Education is world class. 

We live in a world now with parents over parenting  and play the victim card by blaming teachers for their childs lack of success.  We see in the USA parents bribing post secondary's and here in BC it shows as parents blaming our school system ( which by the way is the envy of the rest of the world ) 

we don't send our kids to afterschool tuition because they are struggling in class. We do so, because our kids in grade 8 cannot solve a quadratic equation, yet gets A in math, because quadratics, something we learnt in grade 7, is not up to grade 9 for our kids. We are not sheltered Canadians who don't know better, we are Canadians who are keenly aware how far behind the cutting edge Canadian schooling system is, because we are in a position to compare. 

5 hours ago, Fateless said:

And you're saying that the Canadian education system is bad? I'd be more concerned about wherever you got your education if you think that relying on anecdotal evidence is more reliable than global statistics.

i  care about the fact that what i learnt in grade 7, isn't taught until grade 9 here in BC. I care for the fact that an education system that is objectively behind in STEM, is an inferior education system in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

explain to me, how are people, in a position to compare their own education, when they went through a different system, to what their kids are getting, is 'ill-informed'.

we don't send our kids to afterschool tuition because they are struggling in class. We do so, because our kids in grade 8 cannot solve a quadratic equation, yet gets A in math, because quadratics, something we learnt in grade 7, is not up to grade 9 for our kids. We are not sheltered Canadians who don't know better, we are Canadians who are keenly aware how far behind the cutting edge Canadian schooling system is, because we are in a position to compare. 

PISA-worldwide-ranking-average-score-of-

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

PISA-worldwide-ranking-average-score-of-

It doesn't change the fact that Canadians learn less stuff in high school than most Asian countries and British are far superior in math at same grade as Canadian high school students are. I know, because i am in a position to directly compare the syllabus due to attending different system than my kids currently. 

https://www.uv.es/RELIEVE/v22n1/RELIEVEv22n1_M15eng.pdf

@kingofsurrey  

See for yourself what experts think of PISA rankings. Meanwhile, you should listen to people who have experience of foreign systems that are superior to your nations, who've come to live in your nation and are in a position to directly compare & contrast - when you do not possess such required experience ( of a foreign system to directly compare and contrast), instead of doing the typical ' aaaah canadian pride' nonsense.

Canadian schools suck in pre-university level. At university level, they are okay, but not high end, not until post grad level. Most of us who have experience of foreign systems, know this. This is why, as i said, most afterschool tuition is done by immigrant parents, who see first hand how far behind Canada is and see our kids getting As in school with 25% the effort we put in and learning materials in far less detail and in delayed sequence in STEM fields. 

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

https://www.uv.es/RELIEVE/v22n1/RELIEVEv22n1_M15eng.pdf

@kingofsurrey  

See for yourself what experts think of PISA rankings. Meanwhile, you should listen to people who have experience of foreign systems that are superior to your nations, who've come to live in your nation and are in a position to directly compare & contrast - when you do not possess such required experience ( of a foreign system to directly compare and contrast), instead of doing the typical ' aaaah canadian pride' nonsense.

Canadian schools suck in pre-university level. At university level, they are okay, but not high end, not until post grad level. Most of us who have experience of foreign systems, know this. This is why, as i said, most afterschool tuition is done by immigrant parents, who see first hand how far behind Canada is and see our kids getting As in school with 25% the effort we put in and learning materials in far less detail and in delayed sequence in STEM fields. 

Nonsense.   

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Nonsense.   

You still havn't explained to us how it is nonsense and how we are not in a position to compare our own education at similar age to our own kids.

PS: the article provided is an actual research paper from a qualified professional in statistics, why PISA rankings are garbage. I dont see why that's nonsense.

11 hours ago, canuckistani said:

You still havn't explained to us how it is nonsense and how we are not in a position to compare our own education at similar age to our own kids.

PS: the article provided is an actual research paper from a qualified professional in statistics, why PISA rankings are garbage. I dont see why that's nonsense.

Valiant Canuckistani but you are yelling a t a brick wall.

A brick wall who was educated in the Canadian School system lol.

On 3/29/2019 at 12:38 PM, Fateless said:

Quite frankly, this is another example of "feminism" going too far. Those women do not look professional when wearing sleeveless shirts. Those women were elected to represent their local constituents and now instead of actually dealing with issues they were elected for, they're pining for attention and changing rules so that they can look unprofessional while at work. Its ridiculous. This rule is not there to take away the rights of women but rather to keep a professional atmosphere. If they don't like it, step down.

There's also a difference between someone with short sleeves, or sleeves to the forearms, compared to those who are basically spagetti strap tops or straight sleeveless. Just because something looks nice or fancy does not mean it is professional. I'm a lawyer. I wouldn't show up to Court in a muscle shirt because that is unprofessional. Some guys look good in muscle shirts, but that is not the point. The point is that it is not appropriate dress code for the setting you work in and if I didn't like the dress code, then I would have found a different line of work. I swear all these people are just trying to water the rules down so they can eventually show up to work in their Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops.

And in any event, dress code is super lax on women in any event. The dress code for guys in the political world and in the legal world is suit and tie. Its uncomfortable and stuffy, but that is the professional wear. Women on the other hand (now I'm speaking solely from anecdotal evidence in the Courtroom) show up wearing loose shirts and short skirts. I've seen women show up in flats. I WISH that I could wear normal foot wear to the courtroom rather than some expensive leather shoes, but the standard for men is quite frankly HIGHER than it is for women (in my experience). So my response to the action from these ladies is that they're just coming across entitled.

If your suits are stuffy and uncomfortable, you're doing it wrong. 

12 hours ago, canuckistani said:

wow lucky for all us dumb Canadians careers don't start in Grade 7.

My question is if your kid has not learned something a grade later than you did, why assume that is a failure? Why not find out what they did learn, that you did not?

Comparing education even as recently as 10 years ago, to today is tough to do. Tools have changed, technology has changed, things that needed to be known back then are not as important as before.

Bad at math, buy a calculator.

On 3/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, canuckistani said:

Having a dress code is a good thing. It shows that a person is willing to meet expectations and has basic consistency in their behavior. The 'dress however you wish' bum culture is catering to lowering standards, nothing more. 
We should also bring back a dress code in schools. 

The thing is - productivity can suffer if someone is uncomfortable and a dress code in schools seems dumb to me.  Let kids be kids...I mean, they have recess, hang upside down on monkey bars, slide down slides, etc.  They need to play and clothes can impact their comfort level in that so I really don't support kids having to wear uniforms.

I also think that it really depends on the workplace environment and how many clients pass through the doors, etc.

I think a dress code should address items that are unsuitable more so than items that are expected to be worn.  It is true...a lax dress code can mean people may push the boundaries in that.  But I think the most important rule(s) should be look somewhat neat/tidy and practice good hygiene.   These days, it doesn't have to be a stuffy suit or matronly dress - there are great options out there that offer comfort as well as style.

39 minutes ago, gurn said:

My question is if your kid has not learned something a grade later than you did, why assume that is a failure? Why not find out what they did learn, that you did not?

Comparing education even as recently as 10 years ago, to today is tough to do. Tools have changed, technology has changed, things that needed to be known back then are not as important as before.

winning a math race that make no difference whatsoever seems to be very important to him. 

People that have the skills, and more importantly ability, to need advanced math for their careers are going to rise to that, regardless of whether or not its learned in grade 7,8 or 9. 

Just heard on the radio that they have changed the women's dress code.

Now women can wear sleeveless blouses etc... Men still have to dress professional.

K, put this to bed. 

It was my wife that wanted me to start this thread. She really thinks about politics a lot, even has one of those very useful Poli-Sci degrees ( hehe) on the wall from many years ago. She hated that the women couldn't see the lack of professionalism and the inequality vs male attire. She doesn't agree with dress codes everywhere but sees the legislature as a place that should hold higher standards (ahahaa, I know, I know). I'm just not looking forward to hearing about it later. However, I suppose she will be more concerned about the ICBC court case today...as she should.

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

winning a math race that make no difference whatsoever seems to be very important to him. 

People that have the skills, and more importantly ability, to need advanced math for their careers are going to rise to that, regardless of whether or not its learned in grade 7,8 or 9. 

Being good at math is a life skill, not just a job skill. Math is pure logical reasoning. Being able to do math well, automatically shows that your brain is trained in logic, in isolating data, correlation, causation, governing phenomena vs ancillary phenomena of a complex dynamic, etc. Math to your brain is what lifting weights to your muscles are. Any education system that makes math lax, suffers from producing people who are not very strong in their rational, empirical and logical skills. As we see today with vast majority of the younger generation.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

They learn more propaganda, less skills. School to me, as with many parents, along with childhood, is balancing learning skills while giving kids creative outlets. BC schools remind us more and more of commie propaganda systems, where 'what to think, what to believe' etc. are taught more than imparting actual skills to the individual. 

Archived