The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coyotes re-sign Nick Schmaltz

He was a RFA with no arbitration rights.

He had 11 points in 23 games with Chicago and 14pts in 17 games for Arizona before having a season ending injury.

Market is changing - skipping the bridge and asking for top money right away.  Setting the market rather high here.  Teams are going to get caught at the cap much quicker.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

He had 11 points in 23 games with Chicago and 14pts in 17 games for Arizona before having a season ending injury.

Market is changing - skipping the bridge and asking for top money right away.  Setting the market rather high here.  Teams are going to get caught at the cap much quicker.

If the Canucks can sign Brock Boeser to a similar contract I will be over the moon. It may not seem like it now but that is going to be a steal of a deal for the Coyotes...

19 minutes ago, mll said:

I don't get it, who are the comp's? 

found them: https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/nick-schmaltz-9009

Looking at that list, is Schmaltz really in the same category as Ehlers, Droin, Bo, McKinnon, etc.? 

18 minutes ago, mll said:

He had 11pts with Chicago and was demanding this kind of deal.   No way Bowman was gonna pony up that much money and term, especially after the Seabrook debacle.  So needless to say, it was pretty much a no brainer when Arizona offered up Strome and Perlini.

But good on Nick and his agent, wish nothing but the best.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Other agents are going to refer to his contract.  

There is much less distinction between RFA and UFA years.  Agents are no longer willing to have their young star players subsidise veterans that are less important to the team than they are.  It's high money and free agency much earlier.  Windows are shorter.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

Other agents are going to refer to his contract.  

There is much less distinction between RFA and UFA years.  Agents are no longer willing to have their young star players subsidise veterans that are less important to the team than they are.  It's high money and free agency much earlier.  Windows are shorter.  

sure but lets wait and see how many of these contracts are busts and buyouts. If its a high number we could see this trend end in a couple of seasons. 

I blame Dubas for his one, his mis-handling and then caving in on Nylander made it onto the negotiation table I'm sure. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

found them: https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/nick-schmaltz-9009

Looking at that list, is Schmaltz really in the same category as Ehlers, Droin, Bo, McKinnon, etc.? 

Not sure if a comparable, but Larkin is six months younger and received a $6.1 million deal of similar term.  

And personally, I'd take Larkin all day over Schmaltz. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but lets wait and see how many of these contracts are busts and buyouts. If its a high number we could see this trend end in a couple of seasons. 

I blame Dubas for his one, his mis-handling and then caving in on Nylander made it onto the negotiation table I'm sure. 

Teams are going to reach the cap much quicker regardless of whether the player was worth his contract or not.  Before young players went for a bridge deal and RFA years were worth less than UFA years.  There's no longer that much difference between RFA years and UFA years re salary level.

18 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

He had 11pts with Chicago and was demanding this kind of deal.   No way Bowman was gonna pony up that much money and term, especially after the Seabrook debacle.  So needless to say, it was pretty much a no brainer when Arizona offered up Strome and Perlini.

But good on Nick and his agent, wish nothing but the best.

Not only do you give up on Strome and Perlini too early, You pony up that kind of money and term? Does not make sense to me. 

Chayka is closing in on worst gm territory. 

This is Chayka trying to show the Arizona fans and ownership that he won the trade with Chicago.........we must have got the best player, look how much money I have to pay him!

The guy has one season with more than 30 points and he can command a contract like this? 

Lol.....GM's, no matter their background,  consistently being their own worst enemy handing out exorbitant contracts.  Let me guess Chayker will sell this to fans/ownership/media as cap certainty now that it's locked long term.   

Archived