The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sens contacted Linden for vacant President job

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-approached-trevor-linden-vacant-president-job/

“Word is that Eugene Melnyk has asked the league for help on this, and it’s not uncommon for teams to ask for help, and the league makes some certain recommendations,” Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos said during the Headline segment of Hockey Night in CanadaSaturday. “Now, the word is the league has assigned a current NHL executive to help gauge interest for this job, and one of those names that we hear that was contacted was Trevor Linden, who held that title, of course, with the Vancouver Canucks.”

I’m sure many of you saw this on the HNIC broadcast tonight but I thought it was worth a topic and a little discussion. I found this bit interesting:

“There’s not that many people who we would describe as ‘highly qualified’ – be it former general managers, former presidents of hockey operations – that are being linked to this job,” Johnston said. “I think that speaks to some of the uncertainty in terms of what exactly are the Senators looking for here.

“They’re gonna find somebody eventually, but it’s been awfully quiet given that they’re a couple weeks into this search.”

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Kyperos also said that Linden turned it down saying he didn't have interest.

Honestly if Linden jumps back in its with this organization, as it should be rightfully so.

Let him do his own thing.  It was a thankless job during his time in the office.  He has a lot on his hands, business-wise.  And I think he probably enjoys it better.

5 hours ago, smokes said:

Linden should run for office.

The problem is he'd get bad advice, and he would be viewed as incompetent. Or have to make choices to win political points, that aren't good for society as a whole. 

I respect Linden too much to wish that on him. But I bet he'd have more integrity in his left baby toe than most people running for office. 

15 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Would make more sense. 

When Linden stepped down didn’t he cite more time to spend on his business and with family as reasons?

I don't think he really gave an answer. But that's the impression. I think it was twofold.

Wants to spend time with his young son and be a dad.

Found more grief than reward at being a president. ( Fans were impatient, and critical of every move made).

The fact he had his own business interests and they were doing well, I think just gave him a parachute so he could jump easily. 

I think he'd entertain the notion of working for Seattle. But I think he's pretty happy where he is. And I as a fan of him as a player, exec, and a person am quite fine with that. 

7 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Let him do his own thing.  It was a thankless job during his time in the office.  He has a lot on his hands, business-wise.  And I think he probably enjoys it better.

And for all we know. As Trevor is a developer now as well. Maybe he saw things going on with the Aqua's that made him want to leave, and avoid any conflict of interest. 

But that's pure speculation. My brother is a contractor/developer and he hears things too.

To me Linden was a hire to calm the fan base and give the fan base a sense of trusts and security. Remember, when he was hired, it was right after Gillis got fired. At the time, the team had a very weak pool of prospects, a group of aging veterans with NTCs who are past their primes, and one of our best players demanding a trade to another team. Fans in this city aren’t patient and are always critical of every move made by the organization. Linden as a former Canuck, and well respected and loved by the fan, his figure alone will help calm some of it down. Remember, if the fans to believe in the organization, the ticket sales will go down hill and that’s no good from the ownership perspective. Linden could atleast keep some of the season ticket holders to continue with their renewal of their season ticket membership.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:17 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Mike Gillis will get the job. 

Hope when Mikey gets back into hockey, it's with a team not owned by Eugene Melnyk 

I have no clue how he didn't land another big position. He was incredible at his craft. 

I've heard he made enough money during his career and just wanted to teach and spend time away from the game. 

GM MG... The mastermind behind the strongest Canuck squad ever. 

18 minutes ago, apollo said:

I have no clue how he didn't land another big position. He was incredible at his craft. 

Seems like there are still a lot of NHL execs holding grudges against MG from his agent days. The Oilers situation just the most recent example (where apparently there are still guys pissed off about Nylander from 12 years ago). Gillis also wasn’t the most cuddly guy with the press, so he definitely carries a reputation that might scare owners off in some markets. Then there’s the fact that, until quite recently, MG was still cashing cheques from the Aquilinis, which would stop the moment he was contracted to anothe NHL team, in any capacity. Add in the fact that he’s a known innovator, and not always in line with the standard operating model of most “hockey men,” and you probably eliminate quite a few teams that favour more conservative approaches. And Gillis did little to dispel this notion with his recent long interview, where he detailed his globetrotting tour of athletic operations that are doing things better than in the NHL. For a forward thinking owner, this might be exciting, but for many, Gillis’s ideas might just be a little too progressive. Mike himself has talked about the limited number of spots that would be a fit for him. He’d need nearly total control over the team, a hands off owner who’s just happy to write big cheques, and an organization that was really open to some pretty “outside the box “approaches (at least compared to the usual Cretaceous level thinking we see in NHL front offices). And a team where he doesn’t have bridges already burned. And a market where his personality wouldn’t be a distraction (although he has softened in recent years). That’s not the easiest brief to fulfil. I imagine there’ve been very few openings since MG left that were actually good fits for him. 

44 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Seems like there are still a lot of NHL execs holding grudges against MG from his agent days. The Oilers situation just the most recent example (where apparently there are still guys pissed off about Nylander from 12 years ago). Gillis also wasn’t the most cuddly guy with the press, so he definitely carries a reputation that might scare owners off in some markets. Then there’s the fact that, until quite recently, MG was still cashing cheques from the Aquilinis, which would stop the moment he was contracted to anothe NHL team, in any capacity. Add in the fact that he’s a known innovator, and not always in line with the standard operating model of most “hockey men,” and you probably eliminate quite a few teams that favour more conservative approaches. And Gillis did little to dispel this notion with his recent long interview, where he detailed his globetrotting tour of athletic operations that are doing things better than in the NHL. For a forward thinking owner, this might be exciting, but for many, Gillis’s ideas might just be a little too progressive. Mike himself has talked about the limited number of spots that would be a fit for him. He’d need nearly total control over the team, a hands off owner who’s just happy to write big cheques, and an organization that was really open to some pretty “outside the box “approaches (at least compared to the usual Cretaceous level thinking we see in NHL front offices). And a team where he doesn’t have bridges already burned. And a market where his personality wouldn’t be a distraction (although he has softened in recent years). That’s not the easiest brief to fulfil. I imagine there’ve been very few openings since MG left that were actually good fits for him. 

You're definitely right that there hasn't been that many good fits for him... But there have been some and I'm just shocked he never got back in. 

Perhaps there was offers he rejected so he could continue cashing in the auqaman cheques? 

Archived