The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Signing Gardiner and Myers would allow the Canucks to trade from a position of strength

1 minute ago, gurn said:

The Leafs have very little cap room next season, so someone has to go.

Also as Gudbranson has proven, some people play better on other teams, better fit and expectations.

Personally I don't want Gardiner here, but he is a credible top 3 d man.

I just don't like picking up free agents from the Leafs. Don't like the idea of cheering for a player I've been rooting against for so long.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Personally I don't want Gardiner here, but he is a credible top 3 d man.

Which goes back to my main point.

Gardiner and Myers might be overrated and (likely will be) overpriced, but our defense would be deep as hell with all of.....

Edler-Stecher

Gardiner-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

All here.

-We would also have a succession plan in place.   

-Hutton could either go for a draft pick or a top 6 forward.

-2 of Tryamkin, Woo, Juolevi could eventually replace Edler and Tanev (Tanev could get moved for a pick if Woo or Tree prove worthy of bumping Tanev).

-The odd man out out of Juolevi/Tryamkin/Woo could get traded for help up front or a pick.

The bottom line?  By signing Gardiner and Myers, the Canucks would have extreme depth on defense which would equate to a team strength.  Since Defensemen are covered around the league, the Canucks could use this newfound strength to trade from a position of strength and help shore up other areas in their line-up (ie wings).

Moving Sutter And Schaller shouldn’t be too difficult (in terms of clearing cap space), and something might be able to be worked out with Eriksson......although creativity might be required here.  

The biggest reason why the Canucks haven’t been a playoff team these last four years is due to a lack of depth on defense when injuries occur.  The presence of Gardiner and Myers should eliminate this problem.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

How much are you paying them? Then how do you propose to ask Edler to take less than that when he is clearly better than both of them?

3) was my favorite part.  If all 4 of our top 4 are injury prone they will injure themselves less??????

Both Gardiner and Myers will command between 6-7 million I believe.  Edler will be in that range if he accepts a 2 year deal.   Dropping Sutter, Schaller, and Granlund clears a little over 8 million.   The key would

be in dropping Eriksson.  I don’t think it would be impossible to move Eriksson without retention, but I think it would require some creativity.

As for my #3 point, what I meant was this:

Right now - An argument can be made that Edler and Tanev are injury prone, because the Canucks over-exert them.....and they are over-exerted due to our lack of depth.  With the presence of Gardiner, Myers, and Hughes, that can change.  

Instead of overexerting two dmen, you can give equal time to all 6 dmen and take pressure off......which could result in less overall injuries.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

No to Gardiner

Leaning towards 'no' to Myers

VAN shouldn't be handing out big expensive contracts to UFAs when they'll have to pay the kids in the next few years. They will be re-signing Edler and Schenn seems to be a gift they weren't expecting. I was fairly impressed with Sautner this year, and Brisebois looks okay (still undecided on him). Juolevi could also make the team and who knows how Woo is going to develop this summer. He's already got an NHL body. Imagine Woo and Schenn down the right side. And they're cheap.

Speaking of Schenn, is it possible that Benning had the foresight to know that Schenn and Hughes had this connection from Toronto and decided to trade for Schenn knowing Hughes would be playing in VAN soon? Schenn seems to be the perfect D partner for Hughes. And I'm certain Schenn will be a great mentor. So much better than Del Zotto.

If Gardiner wouldn't cost so much, he'd be fine. 

I really don't want Tyler Myers. It seems like such a 2015 Jim Benning move.

3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

If Gardiner wouldn't cost so much, he'd be fine. 

I really don't want Tyler Myers. It seems like such a 2015 Jim Benning move.

Gardiner has 2 goals this year. TO has 3 scoring lines. Nearly 1/2 his assist production is with Reilly. Gardiner is a bad fit here at any price. 

Keep Luke Schenn bring in Olli O. and save some money, and put it towards getting a really good winger for some help with scoring .Be very draft savy with defense men because for years our injuries have reeked havoc on the blue-line.

If possible bring in a point getting defense man ,just don't break the bank.

Ottawa got Chabot,maybe we can be luck and get a defense man like him through the draft.

32 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Find a way to get rid of Sutter (shouldn’t be too difficult) and Eriksson (might take some creativity, but is doable imo).

I think beginning of next season after the 4m bonus is paid and you retain 50% hes moveable 4.5m left to be paid out over 3 years 1.5m salary 3m cap hit would be a bargain for any cap floor team. 

Another one of these threads huh?

So you just ignoring the fact we'll need to sign the Alien, Boeser, Hughes...etc. all within a couple of years to what will be large deals>

UFA's are not FREE. The team will once again have to overpay and extend term and probably NTC's (at least limited ones). We already have a boat anchor in Louie for another THREE seasons for God sakes but you want to add more non-core players to the list?

Trading the existing boat anchors is easily doable? Right.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

No to Gardiner

Leaning towards 'no' to Myers

VAN shouldn't be handing out big expensive contracts to UFAs when they'll have to pay the kids in the next few years. They will be re-signing Edler and Schenn seems to be a gift they weren't expecting. I was fairly impressed with Sautner this year, and Brisebois looks okay (still undecided on him). Juolevi could also make the team and who knows how Woo is going to develop this summer. He's already got an NHL body. Imagine Woo and Schenn down the right side. And they're cheap.

Speaking of Schenn, is it possible that Benning had the foresight to know that Schenn and Hughes had this connection from Toronto and decided to trade for Schenn knowing Hughes would be playing in VAN soon? Schenn seems to be the perfect D partner for Hughes. And I'm certain Schenn will be a great mentor. So much better than Del Zotto.

I have always liked Schenn, the guy gets a lot of $&!# that he doesn't deserve. He is a BEAST of a man, and a decent stay at home dman. Pairing him with someone offensive is perfect for his game. Hope he keeps it up. 

Check out my thread on the upcoming D UFA in the next several seasons.

Probably best to pimp out our core when they get their first big paydays, and then go shopping.

But Karlsson is tempting. Him and Quinn playing the same run and gun game would mean GOOD TIMES AHEAD for sure.

Gardiner is absolute trash in his own zone.  Signing a defenseman who can't play defense does nothing to improve this team and creates a headache for Green regarding holding the rest of the team accountable.  If Babcock can't teach Gardiner to play like an NHLer in his own zone, what are our chances of improving his defensive play to an acceptable level?

Edler-Tanev

Hughes-Schenn

Hutton-Stecher

All 6 of these guys are better than a soft, slow, and stupid defensive liability.

Let that pylon be someone else's problem.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Gardiner is absolute trash in his own zone.  Signing a defenseman who can't play defense does nothing to improve this team and creates a headache for Green regarding holding the rest of the team accountable.  If Babcock can't teach Gardiner to play like an NHLer in his own zone, what are our chances of improving his defensive play to an acceptable level?

Edler-Tanev

Hughes-Schenn

Hutton-Stecher

All 6 of these guys are better than a soft, slow, and stupid defensive liability.

Let that pylon be someone else's problem.

Most people would want Tanev gone since he has proven he is injury prone and can't be relied upon anymore.

The best ability is availability. 

I think they should consider trading him if they can get a top 6 potential forward to play on Horvat's wing.

Horvat needs a playmaker on his wing since he is not a great passer or playmaker.

Or they could try Spooner there he has shown some nice passing on the PP in limited looks.

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Most people would want Tanev gone since he has proven he is injury prone and can't be relied upon anymore.

The best ability is availability. 

I think they should consider trading him if they can get a top 6 potential forward to play on Horvat's wing.

Horvat needs a playmaker on his wing since he is not a great passer or playmaker.

Or they could try Spooner there he has shown some nice passing on the PP in limited looks.

I'm not opposed to a hockey trade involving Tanev but replacing our best shut-down guy with a defensive liability isn't going to fly.

Archived