The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Taking a Look at the Benning Drafts From 2014-2018

Elias Pettersson

3 hours ago, drummer4now said:

Didn't he also have a video game addiction? 

He is confirmed not to be that player in question. I think it could be Dal Colle imo. The only other player I can think of that fits the description is German Rubstov. 

16 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I wish fans would stop with the all-or-nothing attitudes towards Virtanen and Juolevi. 

For Virtanen, he certainly did not pan out the way others taken just after him did. That doesn't mean the pick was a complete failure. In 2015, Jersey took Pavel Zacha, that looks to have limited offensive upside. The same can be said of Brett Connolly and Mika Zibanejad. Nikita Filatov is another example. Woof on him. JV is probably slightly below average value for a 6th overall pick, but certainly not a total bust.

I don't think it is too early to say that OJ will not have the same level of production as some of his other first round draft class members, but it is way too early to suggest that he is a complete swing and a miss. Not all paths to the NHL are perfectly linear. 

Although I agree with the spirit of your post...Zibanejad? Dude has 30 goals and nearly a point per game. And it's his 6th straight season at a 20-goal pace (didn't score 20 twice due to games missed).

16 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Why do people sleep on Juolevi? He's a really really solid defenceman that has been slowed down by injuries. He should impress next year.

Agreed , I'm amazed on some comments that Joulevi is a miss by Benning  who hasn't had the chance to develop into the #5 pick we expect.

He is a player that will take time and patience as proven with TPS, but once he caught on to playing against men as a 19 YO, he ended up being one of TPS's top Dmen in the playoffs notching 7 points in 11 games as a rookie.

Salo on Juolevi, "He had a really good year, he improved in the areas he needed, like in the defensive zone. He had a great playoff, he carried the team after we lost a key defenseman. He took the team on his shoulders, we were really happy with his development." #Canucks

In Utica, although his +/- wasnt impressive, his point production was. 13 Points as a 20YO in 18 games and had the top PPG in the entire AHL  as a 20YO Dman.

He has above average skating, an excellent wrister, high IQ and will be a solid PP guy for us.

He will never have the flash of Hughes, but could actually offer more value long term.

The one concern is his health so I hope after the summer we can really can get a good gauge on him, and he remains healthy moving forward.

21 hours ago, gurn said:

Baseball analogy:

Elias is a grand slam

Brock is a 3 run homer

Quinn is, imo at least a triple

Virtanen is a single at least and a triple at best

Ollie hasn't even been to the plate so way too soon to judge

Quinn is a triple with only two games under his belt but Juolevi is too soon to rate? If not for his injury he would have been called up. I think Juolevi has progressed very nicely. Just gotta wonder if he’s gonna be another Tanev with the injuries.

2014 was an amazing draft for Benning.  He drafted 5 players who have all played in the NHL.  Virtanen 208 McCann 241

Demko 8 Tryamkin 79 and Forsling 119 games played.

In the entire draft only 77 players have now played in the NHL.  Canucks drafted 5 of these themselves.

That is a remarkable draft!

The Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes picks get the limelight for their years.   But the 2014 draft is truly remarkable in its own way.

23 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I wish fans would stop with the all-or-nothing attitudes towards Virtanen and Juolevi. 

For Virtanen, he certainly did not pan out the way others taken just after him did. That doesn't mean the pick was a complete failure. In 2015, Jersey took Pavel Zacha, that looks to have limited offensive upside. The same can be said of Brett Connolly and Mika Zibanejad. Nikita Filatov is another example. Woof on him. JV is probably slightly below average value for a 6th overall pick, but certainly not a total bust.

I don't think it is too early to say that OJ will not have the same level of production as some of his other first round draft class members, but it is way too early to suggest that he is a complete swing and a miss. Not all paths to the NHL are perfectly linear. 

Yeah man, I was hoping for a 25+ goal highly physical player when we picked Virtanen. So far we've gotten a 15+ goal, inconsistanly physical, but solid two-way guy. Still a very useful roster player and far from a bust, but a bit below expectations for a 6th overall.

OJ was having a decent start to his NA pro career, still had some adjustments to make with gap control and anticipating the speed and routes opposing forwards would take, but he was producing offense really well. It's a shame he missed so much hockey and important development time this year.

Benning was pretty active in 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018, but what happened to 2016?

VAN took Juolevi at #5, didn't have a 2nd and took Lockwood in the 3rd. These are the only two picks still with the Canucks org. from that Draft.

Then Benning went out and threw a wheelbarrow full off cash at Loui Eriksson, and fired Willie.

There were also only 2 trades that season: Burrows for Dahlen, and Hansen for Goldobin.

That's pretty much it for 2016/17. I think it was an off-year.

Archived