The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jake Kielly

Note: This is not an April Fools’ joke.

cut.jpg

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed goaltender Jake Kielly to a two-year entry-level contract.

"Jake has had an outstanding collegiate career at Clarkson," said Benning. "We're excited to have him join our organization as he'll add further depth to the goaltending position."

Kielly, 22, started in 39 games for the Clarkson University Golden Knights, posting a record of 26-11-2 along with a .929 save percentage and 1.91 GAA. His win total ranks second in the nation, his five shutouts on the season ranks tied for fifth, his GAA ranks fifth (min. 30 GP) and his save percentage ranks fourth (min. 30 GP). The 6-2, 201-pound goaltender is a finalist for the 2019 Mike Richter Award, awarded annually to the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA men's hockey and is the Clarkson Hobey Baker nominee. He was also recently named a member of the ECAC All-Conference Second Team and was a finalist for the ECAC Goaltender of the Year Award.

In three seasons with Clarkson, the Eden Prairie, MN, native has posted a record of 64-37-13, which ranks fifth in the school's all-time wins list. Kielly also leads all active NCAA goaltenders in career shutouts with 16. Prior to his collegiate career, Kielly appeared in 37 regular season games and 11 playoff games for the USHL Tri-City Storm in 2015.16, helping lead the team to the Clark Cup Championship.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-jake-kielly/c-306337958

This is a good signing. He'll probably start in the ECHL but he should be DiPetrio's backup in the 2020-2021 season. I was hoping the Canucks would sign goalie Andrew Shortridge from Quinnipaic but looking at Jake's stats, they're pretty damn good. I trust the Canucks with there NCAA signings so I have faith he could be... something.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

nice. Cant have enough goalie depth. It will be interesting to watch him and Mikey battle it out in Utica.

24 minutes ago, Quantum said:

This is a good signing. He'll probably start in the ECHL but he should be DiPetrio's backup in the 2020-2021 season. I was hoping the Canucks would sign goalie Andrew Shortridge from Quinnipaic but looking at Jake's stats, they're pretty damn good. I trust the Canucks with there NCAA signings so I have faith he could be... something.

14 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Solid stats. Can't go wrong with free prospects. He'll likely be in the AHL next year?

You probably can have enough goalie depth, but I get the idea. Actually, some time ago Benning said something about wanting to add a goalie prospect to the system every year or close to it. Goalie is the hardest position to project so you do not normally want to use high picks on them and picking up undrafted free agents is a good strategy. . Kielly is the 4th goalie prospect added to the system in 4 years, following Thiessen in 2018, DiPietro in 2017, and Garteig (another college FA) in 2016. With Demko in 2014 that makes 5 guys in 6 years.

As for ECHL vs. AHL I think the competition is pretty open. Mazanec and Leighton are UFAs and neither is young enough to be a prospect. I don't expect to see them playing in the Canuck system again. That means Di Pietro, Backman and Kielly are all in the mix for Utica and given Bachman's age and injury status he is far from a sure thing.

It would not surprise me to see Kielly start the season in Utica and, if either Markstrom or Demko get injured it would not be a shock to see him get a game or two for the Canucks next year if he does well in Utica.

But right now there are a lot of question marks. Two years from now the four prospects in the system: Demko, DiPietro, Thiessen, and Kielly could be in any order although obviously Demko is the favorite to take the top spot at this stage.

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

he should be back up dipietro?

i dont think so

Archived