The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm not sure at all about it necessarily being an NHL offer but IMO a number of teams may look at him as a good fit, be that in North America or in Europe

Europe is probably more likely.

All I know is, I'm not losing sleep over this :lol:

I'm happy to retain him as a depth #8 NHL guy/waived to Abby, or on an AHL deal if he wants to stay in the organization... Otherwise....

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Europe is probably more likely.

All I know is, I'm not losing sleep over this :lol:

I'm happy to retain him as a depth #8 NHL guy/waived to Abby, or on an AHL deal if he wants to stay in the organization... Otherwise....

Pretty much how I see it too. He would be a good addition on a depleted Canuck farm team but given what he is probably asking in both wage and term, that is not likely going to happen.

• Cheers 1

On 6/11/2021 at 2:03 PM, N4ZZY said:

To be fair, I didn’t expect too much out of McEneny. I had higher hopes for Rafferty. Maybe he could’ve been a top four offensive defenseman, which we obviously don’t need much more of now because of the emergence of both Hughes and hopefully Rathbone (early signs are promising, but we’ll see how he holds up once the league has tape on him). 

Rafferty was way too 1 dimensional.  

McEneny had a better shot at making the bigs and staying if not for injuries.

24 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Rafferty was way too 1 dimensional.  

McEneny had a better shot at making the bigs and staying if not for injuries.

Personally I only watched Rafferty twice in Vcr. He looked good at that point and then he followed it up with a pretty good season in Utica 45 pts in 58 games, not bad for a defenceman and of course he was a plus17 in Utica which was the second best on the team. You might be more familiar with his game

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Don’t think this will be a major loss. 

Nope but all the armchair GMs from last off season will be screaming asset management.  I Cannot believe the consensus was that rafferty was worth keeping over rathbone 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Nope but all the armchair GMs from last off season will be screaming asset management.  I Cannot believe the consensus was that rafferty was worth keeping over rathbone 

I would have liked to see him get more time over Chatfield so we could have seen more of what he might have been, but it is what it is. Good luck to him. 

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

So it appears that Brogan and the Canucks will be parting company 

See Button on D & D .....

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Don’t think this will be a major loss. 

I get that the Canucks management had to promise Rafferty playing time if earned in order to sign him (and pay him on one-way contracts), which to most unaided fans like myself, Rafferty did by acquitting himself as one of the best AHL d-men in 2019-2020. Also, by Rafferty's account, he came into camp in January 10 pounds heavier and prepared himself for the rigors of the condensed NHL schedule.  I didn't get why Chatfield received as many games as he did and Rafferty just one.  Anyways, it's a head scratcher for me.

Another head scratcher is the Canucks letting Ethan Keppen walk without taking a longer look at him. Canucks are sorely lacking forwards built like linebackers (I believe that is the way he was described by the Utica press) and simply letting him go leaves me wondering what Keppen failed to show during his short audition.

I wonder how much Benning counted on Johnson and Cull's assessments of these two players to not offer Rafferty any ice time with the big club and to let Keppen walk.  I'm sure there are good reasons for the "release"...it would really be interesting to hear what those reasons were.

If anyone has any insights, I'd love hear them.  On surface, moves like these leaves a lot of unanswered questions for me (not that I deserve or am demanding these questions be answered).

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I get that the Canucks management had to promise Rafferty playing time if earned in order to sign him (and pay him on one-way contracts), which to most unaided fans like myself, Rafferty did by acquitting himself as one of the best AHL d-men in 2019-2020. Also, by Rafferty's account, he came into camp in January 10 pounds heavier and prepared himself for the rigors of the condensed NHL schedule.  I didn't get why Chatfield received as many games as he did and Rafferty just one.  Anyways, it's a head scratcher for me.

Another head scratcher is the Canucks letting Ethan Keppen walk without taking a longer look at him. Canucks are sorely lacking forwards built like linebackers (I believe that is the way he was described by the Utica press) and simply letting him go leaves me wondering what Keppen failed to show during his short audition.

I wonder how much Benning counted on Johnson and Cull's assessments of these two players to not offer Rafferty any ice time with the big club and to let Keppen walk.  I'm sure there are good reasons for the "release"...it would really be interesting to hear what those reasons were.

If anyone has any insights, I'd love hear them.  On surface, moves like these leaves a lot of unanswered questions for me (not that I deserve or am demanding these questions be answered).

I am a bit puzzled by the non tryout of Rafferty but not signing Ethan Keppen was the right decision IMO. The Canucks just did not get enough of a look and what they saw was probably not unexpected as he had not played hockey for some time due to injury and Covid. What I hope to see happen is that he may be signed to an AHL contract with the Canucks farm team. Maybe he can show enough next season to justify an ELC.

• Cheers 1

It wasn't Benning's decision to play/not play him, but Green's, and we know how TG loves his vets (Benning did have him up in the taxi squad)

Watch Rafferty get signed as a UFA by Seattle and become their Theodore, and challenge QH for the Norris in a few years!!!

• Cheers 1

I'm kinda with Button. Why didn't he get a few more looks in the bigs? He was clearly an effective player for Utica, and was a player in the position we are weakest. Gotta trust the management team that they didn't see any NHL player, but still curious.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I'm kinda with Button. Why didn't he get a few more looks in the bigs? He was clearly an effective player for Utica, and was a player in the position we are weakest. Gotta trust the management team that they didn't see any NHL player, but still curious.

You can literally find one dimensional players like Rafferty every offseason.

I see him as a Gragnani, Larsen, Sanguenetti type. Easily replaceable.

We could probably sign someone from the SHL with similar skill sets if we wanted to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

You can literally find one dimensional players like Rafferty every offseason.

I see him as a Gragnani, Larsen, Sanguenetti type. Easily replaceable.

We could probably sign someone from the SHL with similar skill sets if we wanted to.

Sure, I'm not say I was expecting him to light the world on fire. I'm also sure we could go out and find someone just like him from the SHL. But we didn't need to go find Brogan. He was right there and waiting to play games. I guess the point I'm making, was Chatfield found his way into 18 games this season because we were so short on right shot D. Why not give Brogan a couple more looks, just to see if he could hold his own in the NHL after being so successful in the AHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Sure, I'm not say I was expecting him to light the world on fire. I'm also sure we could go out and find someone just like him from the SHL. But we didn't need to go find Brogan. He was right there and waiting to play games. I guess the point I'm making, was Chatfield found his way into 18 games this season because we were so short on right shot D. Why not give Brogan a couple more looks, just to see if he could hold his own in the NHL after being so successful in the AHL.

They saw him every day in practice. I’m sure if they saw something they liked they would have played him ahead of Chatfield. The one game he did play he looked like a deer lost in the headlights. They probably saw enough after that. 

There are lots of guys that look good in the AHL that can’t transition to the NHL. As DeNiro already said we can find a Rafferty type player every year from the SHL or even the KHL. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/30/2021 at 7:01 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I would have liked to see him get more time over Chatfield so we could have seen more of what he might have been, but it is what it is. Good luck to him. 

Ditto; despite JBs' promises, game day deployment & usage is still a coaching decision; and in this case, Green played the players he trusted instead of giving an unknown a chance in a losing season.   Rafferty did & excelled in everything that was asked of him and I wish him the best in his next stop - taught he was going to be a Rafalski lite: a player who started his NHL career at 26 and was solid all through out.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1