The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I totally agree.  Rafferty looks like a keeper.  I believe OJ will prove to be a top four NHL D man, who is a minute muncher - much like Edler.  

2 assists and a plus 3 after two periods against the Toronto Marlies tonight. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

2 assists and a plus 3 after two periods against the Toronto Marlies tonight. 

He adds a goal in the third.  He is starting to look more and more ready to jump to the next level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Rafferty showed very well at training camp and earned some praise from Benning. That combined with his small audition at the end of last year where he didnt look our of place in the NHL seems to have spiked his confidence and it's spilling into his play on the ice.

There were relatively minor rumblings earlier this season that management may look to move on from Stetcher at the end of the year for whatever reason(s). I think Rafferty could step into bottom pairing minutes effectively next season in that spot, especially next to a veteran like Benn. 

12 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Federov and Bieska were at the Winnipeg camp together. When the report of the one sided fight came to BB attention he apparently told staff to sign him immediately …. Bieska went on the fame and fortune Fedrov  ….. not so much :lol:

LOL Burkie absolutely hated Fedor Fedorov. I think a reporter asked if they were going to try to trade (or sign?) is brother Sergei Fedorov. Burke responded something like "we already have a Fedorov and its one too many" hahhaha

10 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

He's definitely showing some of those QH attributes alright -- skating, puck-handling, patience holding onto the puck, smart passes to create great scoring chances.

Hughes, Rafferty, Rathbone...all can move and move the puck QUITE well. If OJ can stay healthy...so can he.

keep-calm-good-times-are-coming.png

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Rafferty showed very well at training camp and earned some praise from Benning. That combined with his small audition at the end of last year where he didnt look our of place in the NHL seems to have spiked his confidence and it's spilling into his play on the ice.

There were relatively minor rumblings earlier this season that management may look to move on from Stetcher at the end of the year for whatever reason(s). I think Rafferty could step into bottom pairing minutes effectively next season in that spot, especially next to a veteran like Benn. 

He's going to be due a raise this summer and depending on what he'd agree to, whether Tanev is coming back, what other depth we have coming in (returning Tryamkin? Rafferty? OJ?, Brisebois? Rathbone likely in Utica next year?) it likely doesn't make a tonne of sense to be spending $3m+ on what is our 3rd pair RD when we can slot some of those guys in on ELC's/cheaper contracts.

And if we are going to have a couple smaller guys like Hughes, Rathbone etc on D in the not too distant future, another, smaller D in Stecher might not be in the cards either.

Plus he'll have some pretty decent trade value.

I LOVE Tony Stretcher, the kid would go through a wall for this team. But sometimes the business takes the lead and tough decisions get made. Either way, I'm sure management has a few contingency plans in place of what they plan to do with all those balls currently up in the air.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He's going to be due a raise this summer and depending on what he'd agree to, whether Tanev is coming back, what other depth we have coming in (returning Tryamkin? Rafferty? OJ?, Brisebois? Rathbone likely in Utica next year?) it likely doesn't make a tonne of sense to be spending $3m+ on what is our 3rd pair RD when we can slot some of those guys in on ELC's/cheaper contracts.

And if we are going to have a couple smaller guys like Hughes, Rathbone etc on D in the not too distant future, another, smaller D in Stecher might not be in the cards either.

Plus he'll have some pretty decent trade value.

I LOVE Tony Stretcher, the kid would go through a wall for this team. But sometimes the business takes the lead and tough decisions get made. Either way, I'm sure management has a few contingency plans in place of what they plan to do with all those balls currently up in the air.

I agree with all of that, it's just really tough to trade a hometown kid, especially one who signed here willingly. It would be relatively impossible for me to trade him or Virtanen for that reason. I think they bring a different kind of energy to the room given their roots are in the city and the team.

If it does come down to a hockey/business decision, I've been beating the Stetcher for Kapanen drum for a while now. Maybe we have to throw in a pick or something. Kapanen could FINALLY give us a consistent linemate for Horvat which has been the most infuriating thing for me the past 2 years.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I agree with all of that, it's just really tough to trade a hometown kid, especially one who signed here willingly. It would be relatively impossible for me to trade him or Virtanen for that reason. I think they bring a different kind of energy to the room given their roots are in the city and the team.

If it does come down to a hockey/business decision, I've been beating the Stetcher for Kapanen drum for a while now. Maybe we have to throw in a pick or something. Kapanen could FINALLY give us a consistent linemate for Horvat which has been the most infuriating thing for me the past 2 years.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I REALLY don't like that we may end up having to trade him. Local kid who busts his ass on and off the ice and would go through a wall for the team is a hard guy to trade.

But it's getting increasingly hard to see where he fits long term despite all that...

On 12/10/2019 at 7:33 AM, dpn1 said:

I like Rafferty.  He is older as he graduated University.  I think he is 24 or 25 years old already.  I suspect he will improve but he may be close to what he will be. Maybe a 3rd pairing guy I would guess.

Rafferty has improved with almost every game I’ve seen him in with 8 points in his first 15 games, 12 points in his last 10, Unlike guys like Clendenning, Rafferty is a strong skater and he is extremely quick mentally - he thinks an NHL game. But he does take chances, and often has to make spectacular recoveries - which makes coaches nervous - but his team leading +/- testifies to his ability to recover. So, I do agree that the jury is out, but at this point he is a stronger prospect than a Juolevi - Juolevi was -2 tonight in a game his team won 6-3.

• Like 1