The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Indeed he is.

That person I was responding to stated that Rafferty has surpassed Juolevi based off offensive play and +/- and I responded to his +/- comment saying it isn't indicative of Rafferty playing amazing in his own zone and Juolevi being bad in his own zone but rather how both players are being utilized with one more defensively in Juolevi and one more offensively in Rafferty. 

Every recent comment stated by the Utica coaching staff supports my statement of Juolevi being used more defensively. I haven't been able to find any contradictions about Rafferty either and stated the fact that he is paired with a safe/poised defenseman like Brisebois as an example, like how Hughes is paired with Tanev, to support what I stated. It was said earlier here as well I see.

I am excited for both guys and agree with how they are currently being utilized though I am a bit concerned on whether or not Juolevi can handle that type of responsibility and workload this early. It seems like the coaching staff trusts him enough so for now it is good with me.

Ok. Thanks for the details.

I was told Juolevi is on a one way deal and with be up with the Canucks next year for sure.

Rafferty is the highest scoring D in the AHL now. I know that does not mean anything with respect to his game translating to the NHL. But I do wonder if he steps in and takes over Stecher's role at some point. Cheaper and a bit bigger.

• Upvote 1

I was curious if the top scoring D in the AHL in any given year meant success in the AHL. Below are the D scoring leaders in the AHL over the past bunch of years:

2012/13  Justin Schultz  48p

2013/14 TJ Brennan 72p

2014/15 Chris Wideman 61p

2015/16 TJ Brennan 68p

2016/17 TJ Brennan 60p

2017/18 Jacob MacDonald 55p

2018/19 Aaron Ness 55p

2019/20 Rafferty 24p so far in 29 games

If I had time I would have gone back further.

10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I was curious if the top scoring D in the AHL in any given year meant success in the AHL. Below are the D scoring leaders in the AHL over the past bunch of years:

2012/13  Justin Schultz  48p

2013/14 TJ Brennan 72p

2014/15 Chris Wideman 61p

2015/16 TJ Brennan 68p

2016/17 TJ Brennan 60p

2017/18 Jacob MacDonald 55p

2018/19 Aaron Ness 55p

2019/20 Rafferty 24p so far in 29 games

If I had time I would have gone back further.

So basically no lol

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I know +/- doesn't count on the PK I was pointing out the fact that he is seeing more PK time is indicative of him seeing more defensive zone time. If Rafferty is good defensively then why isn't he utilized on the PK especially why not more so than Juolevi? Is he even on the PK at all? If not then why is that? Perhaps the coaches want to him to his strengths which clearly is his offensive talent and limit his responsibility defensively by allowing other D like Juolevi to take up more of a defensive role because they trust others more so defensively?, though I think that they're using Olli in every role. The reason why I said he is stated with Brisebois is because you need a safe guy to offset an offensive one. It is a good balance to have. Just like how Hughes is with Tanev, though Hughes is elite. 

In terms of special teams. All we know now is that Utica has the 10th best PK and 4th best PP according to their website. That only can only say good things about both players since Rafferty sees a lot of PP time and Juolevi a lot of PK time(according to coaches/managements comments). Age does play a huge factor, having a few more years definitely benefits Rafferty over any 21 year old. That's an inarguable fact on top of the handicap of coming back from almost a year of not playing. A lot of factors when it comes to Juolevi which is why I worry about them over-utilizing him. Exposing him to so much responsibility could play out either way, they are definitely not sheltering Juolevi.  

Just by deployment alone you can tell how they are used. If Rafferty was out there for 6 on 5 then that's a good sign. He must of been having a real good game for the coaches to put him out like that.

I don't think Rafferty is a bad prospect. I don't want people to think I have that idea. I just don't believe he is offensive play and +/- is indicative of his defensive play and how he is being utilized. If it was he would more than likely be called up because he'd be a all-around defenseman that can shut down at the AHL level and be a scoring leader. 

I have raised a bunch of good questions and concerns regarding Rafferty in terms of his defensive play and how he is utilized. I want him to be successful. As it looks right now I see him as an two-way offensive D that's used more so on PP and not on the PK. To be honest when I watch him he reminds me of Ehrhoff who was a 6'2'' smooth skating offensive D. I think Rafferty is more of playmaker though, Ehrhoff could rip it. Rafferty definitely brings more of a dynamic offensive aspect to our d-core that we only really get from Hughes. 

Either way we've got a bunch of defenseman in the pipes that will ready soon. We've hardly mentioned Brisebois or Teves on top of Rathbone and Woo Tryamkin is a darkhorse too. We definitely need both Olli and Bro to pan out with Edler/Tanev not getting any older and they both have the skill set we need on our blueline.

Most of Rafferty’s time is spent at even strength.  When the Comets are away, it is difficult to select the lines that play against him - so to claim that he plays against weaker opposition there is mostly specious. Rafferty is also a primary choice late in games whether they are ahead or behind. If they are ahead he is good at escaping the zone, if they are behind, he their best bet to lead the offence.

As for Juolevi, if they are going to develop him you have to give him ice time.  He is simply not the offensive talent that Rafferty is - at least not yet - sonRafferty gets most of the PP time. If you want to give a Juolevi a role, that leaves him the defensive role - which he shares with Sautner and Brisebois - who are also pretty decent players.  Earlier in the year, Rafferty spent a lot of time with Teves - during which time Teves led the team (along with Rafferty) in +/-. You really have to watch the games to see Juolevi’s struggles - but as has been commented, he is younger than Juolevi and Teves - so, he still has time to develop. But, from what I have seen, his skating is hampering his defensive play. Still, Lind and Gadjovich both struggled keeping up last year too, and this year they have both come miles. Let’s hope he gets better. Ultimately, we have to have a guy to take on the role assumed by Edler - we can hope that will be Juolevi - but I think we’d better improve our available options for that role.

10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Ok. Thanks for the details.

I was told Juolevi is on a one way deal and with be up with the Canucks next year for sure.

Rafferty is the highest scoring D in the AHL now. I know that does not mean anything with respect to his game translating to the NHL. But I do wonder if he steps in and takes over Stecher's role at some point. Cheaper and a bit bigger.

I believe Olli is still on his ELC next year, which makes him waiver exempt still. No lock for him to be in the NHL, but hopefully will have seen some NHL action by that point.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Most of Rafferty’s time is spent at even strength.  When the Comets are away, it is difficult to select the lines that play against him - so to claim that he plays against weaker opposition there is mostly specious. Rafferty is also a primary choice late in games whether they are ahead or behind. If they are ahead he is good at escaping the zone, if they are behind, he their best bet to lead the offence.

As for Juolevi, if they are going to develop him you have to give him ice time.  He is simply not the offensive talent that Rafferty is - at least not yet - sonRafferty gets most of the PP time. If you want to give a Juolevi a role, that leaves him the defensive role - which he shares with Sautner and Brisebois - who are also pretty decent players.  Earlier in the year, Rafferty spent a lot of time with Teves - during which time Teves led the team (along with Rafferty) in +/-. You really have to watch the games to see Juolevi’s struggles - but as has been commented, he is younger than Juolevi and Teves - so, he still has time to develop. But, from what I have seen, his skating is hampering his defensive play. Still, Lind and Gadjovich both struggled keeping up last year too, and this year they have both come miles. Let’s hope he gets better. Ultimately, we have to have a guy to take on the role assumed by Edler - we can hope that will be Juolevi - but I think we’d better improve our available options for that role.

I was talking in the retrospect that Rafferty might see more offensive zone time/starts while Juolevi is getting more defensive zone starts and tougher responsibilities. My concern is for both since they are putting a lot of responsibility on Oli and whether or not he can handle it right now. On top of that whether or not Rafferty would be restricted to more of an offensive role at the NHL level rather than an all-around complete defensman that can PK and PP that I’d prefer him to be. 

Right now I only see the offensive hype and puck moving capabilities in Rafferty and Juolevi going through the process of getting back on track. I believe +/-  is not indicative of of Rafferty’s play defensively. His deployment on special teams and zone starts would be more so. 

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's a tough call. We probably need Tanev more than Stetcher right now. I like them both, but I feel as though neither are long for this team.

Regardless, one of our right D will be injured eventually. Excited to see what Rafferty can bring to the main roster. Dude played extremely well in training camp and could arguably be considered the best D in the AHL right now. 

isn't this Stetcher 's contract year? if so he'd be looking for a raise & it would make sense that he's going the way of Hutton come July, and Raff would be stepping in on the 3rd pair next season if not sooner.. 

and yes Tanev is more valuable than TS at this point, despite being more fragile. Stetch is dependable and steady, but he's only a 3rd pair D, and as such would be overpaid.. 

What happens to Tanev next season depends on who steps up or steps in.. not sure we have anyone in the pipeline that can fill his shoes at this point so maybe JB can find a gem somewhere.. 

He’ll likely replace Stecher next year since he will be in the same boat as Hutton was with his qualifying offer I believe. 

Unless Tanev walks in FA. Then we’re keeping Stech. We’d be kind of screwed on D if Tanev left. He’s a key player for us defensively. Our next best defenseman defensively would be Edler who would be going on 34 and is only above average in that regard. 

• Upvote 2

I'm honestly so impressed by what this guy is doing in the AHL. I know he's a bit older at 24, but you'd think we gotta either give him a short look (a few games) this year if injuries hit hard or at least give him a real long look in the pre-season next year. Here's to hoping he's not the next Bobby Sanguinetti.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm honestly so impressed by what this guy is doing in the AHL. I know he's a bit older at 24, but you'd think we gotta either give him a short look (a few games) this year if injuries hit hard or at least give him a real long look in the pre-season next year. Here's to hoping he's not the next Bobby Sanguinetti.

I haven’t heard that name in FOREVER

9 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

isn't this Stetcher 's contract year? if so he'd be looking for a raise & it would make sense that he's going the way of Hutton come July, and Raff would be stepping in on the 3rd pair next season if not sooner.. 

and yes Tanev is more valuable than TS at this point, despite being more fragile. Stetch is dependable and steady, but he's only a 3rd pair D, and as such would be overpaid.. 

What happens to Tanev next season depends on who steps up or steps in.. not sure we have anyone in the pipeline that can fill his shoes at this point so maybe JB can find a gem somewhere.. 

Say you're 8-10 pts back(from PO's) in late-Jan..almost worst case, from today's pov, I guess.

Also you know NT is returning.

Apparently Benn plays well on his off-side.

Maybe, with considerations like these^, it makes sense to deal Tanev for a greater return.

2020-21:

Gaudette, Virtanen, BFG, Markstrom. We're gonna need some cap/$ & $pace for these guys.

I sure hope they're planning ahead, & are certain they can handle all raises & returnees.

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He’ll likely replace Stecher next year since he will be in the same boat as Hutton was with his qualifying offer I believe. 

Unless Tanev walks in FA. Then we’re keeping Stech. We’d be kind of screwed on D if Tanev left. He’s a key player for us defensively. Our next best defenseman defensively would be Edler who would be going on 34 and is only above average in that regard. 

I wanted to move Tanev more than 2 years ago in anticipation for what might come back. He isn't a top pairing guy on a CUP contender but then Myers isn't either. That said Tanev is pretty solid. Depending where the team is come TDL will likely make the decision on who is moved. I love Stech's desire but is he here in 3 years? I think not. Not big enough and doesn't produce enough ppg to counter his d-zone negatives. How much will Tanev want to re-sign and how can you give him ANY term. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just saying he looked good isn't good enough.  If you could watch the game you would have a whole new appreciation for this kid.  He was noticeable all night, in a good way.  I was totally impressed.  What a find by JB 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2