The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

Rafferty's arrival has come at a great moment for Vcr. It allows them to move one of Tanev or Stecher at the end of the season …. and allow Woo a season or two in the AHL. It certainly takes a load off JB. He can't be pressured by an agent thinking he has the upper hand. It's another positive to see how well Teves is doing, maybe not as much offence but he seems pretty solid defensively .. and Brisebois is looking good defensively too. Who knows if they continue to grow or have reached their plateau 

From the AHL website of 5 rookies tearing up the AHL

Brogan Rafferty, D, 24 (Utica)
Rafferty didn’t start the season high up on the depth chart after a three-year run with NCAA Quinnipiac, but with 24 points in 29 games, Rafferty leads all defensemen in scoring, regardless of experience. Sure, playing on a high-scoring Comets team helps, but he leads AHL defensemen with 10 multi-point nights, including a four-point effort against Bridgeport earlier this month. The Canucks already have solid offensive defensemen in Quinn Hughes and Tyler Myers, but don’t be surprised to see Rafferty earn a spot later in the year.

Edited by Get real canuck fans
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He’ll likely replace Stecher next year since he will be in the same boat as Hutton was with his qualifying offer I believe. 

Unless Tanev walks in FA. Then we’re keeping Stech. We’d be kind of screwed on D if Tanev left. He’s a key player for us defensively. Our next best defenseman defensively would be Edler who would be going on 34 and is only above average in that regard. 

If Tryamkin is on his way back, him and Rafferty could be playing in Tanev and Stecher's spots next year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Rafferty with another assist, now tied with 3 others for 6th overall in AHL scoring and 2nd overall in +/-.

He seems to be flying under the radar in the media, like surprised sports net 650 has not had a big piece on him- this guys is by far our best d man prospect not on the NHL team. And we have not had a d man destroy the AHL in a long time if ever- seems like he is worth a look if there is one more injury on our back end.  Great signing by JB and co- I wonder who identified this guy- gotta reward him for his good play.

13 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Say you're 8-10 pts back(from PO's) in late-Jan..almost worst case, from today's pov, I guess.

Also you know NT is returning.

Apparently Benn plays well on his off-side.

Maybe, with considerations like these^, it makes sense to deal Tanev for a greater return.

2020-21:

Gaudette, Virtanen, BFG, Markstrom. We're gonna need some cap/$ & $pace for these guys.

I sure hope they're planning ahead, & are certain they can handle all raises & returnees.

I see Virt getting extended for a year, marky getting a decent raise for 4 years.. Gaudette deserves a raise too for sure.. but I believe Tanev will be dealt. hard to say what he'll return, but can they justify a raise with his injury record? tough call.. it would suck to let him walk for free, but who knows.. 

obviously Tram is a big question mark.. I would assume he would slot in 3rd pair at minimum, but it might take time to get up to nhl speed. 

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If Tryamkin is on his way back, him and Rafferty could be playing in Tanev and Stecher's spots next year.

I don’t see us moving both Tanev and Stecher. Probably just Stecher. We probably re-sign Tanev since he is one of the few D we have good in his own zone

With Edler being on his last year of his contract and possibly last season of his career next season, Tryamkin could likely replace him if he came back. Tryamkin would slide in nicely in that sort of situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I think it would be a mistake to replace Tanev unless he is injured - this long healthy stretch has really enabled him to recover his total game and at his best he is a really great player - a much undervalued talent. If Rafferty can replace Stetcher, but pair Rafferty with Hughes and move Myers and Tanev to the two and three spots - it might be very interesting. Rafferty and Hughes would make for a very slippery pairing for escaping our zone, and a very dynamic pair in the attacking end. I see Tryamkin ultimately as the replacement for Edler s defensive game - a game that now depends on Edler’s health - and the team struggles when Edler is missing or not playing at 100 percent. Ideally, it would have been Juolevi that takes that job, but I don't think he’s ready (even though he had a good game tonight (scored the winner and was very useful in his own end at dulling the opposition attack). I think he may be better served with progressing his game, his fitness, and building his adult body in Utica. If he realizes what he showed in potential in junior, he could be a valuable piece in a couple of years. Meanwhile, Rafferty is close now.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

I hope not or the Canucks are going to have a lot of high scoring shoot outs without having a tough checking defenceman, I definitely see Stetcher being traded because Fantenberg has played surprisingly better then expected except for his penalties in the Penguins game, but I see Benn and Stetcher not coming back next year with Rafferty and then maybe Tryamkin coming back with still Woo, Rathbone and more coming to Utica next year. The Canucks need to replace Leivo and Ferland most likely out for the rest of the season and I see Stetcher being used as a chip to use to help get a rental winger for the second line. 

wow, him, Lind and gdjo having good years, gives us options and a deeper prospect pool.

Forwards:

Lind

Gadjo

Madden

Hogz

Podz

McDonaugh

Focht

D:

Rafferty

Juolevi

Rathbone

Woo

Utunen

Brisebois

Chattefield

Trymakin

A few thoughts:

Juolevi + beartschi for Lias Andersson and cap space?

I think Pearson and Virtanen have shown that they can be top 6 forwards

I would prefer we try to get a top 1 D, but they are so hard to find.

Edited by Canucks Curse

Rafferty is ready for the NHL now.  He's 24 years old.  He could play on the 3rd pairing today.  Would give us an instant offensive boost and he can run our 2nd unit PP. 

Stecher isn't coming back next year, we don't have the cap space to re-up him on a new deal.  He will want over $3 million.  The time to trade Stecher would be this year so we can bring Rafferty up to replace him and use Stecher as a piece to acquire another top 6 forward.  With Ferland and now Leivo out long term it is imperative that Benning acquire another forward who can play in the top 6 if we have any playoff aspirations this year.  Also, if Benning were to sign Markstrom to a long term deal this year then we can also use Demko as a trade chip along with Stecher.  No point in keeping Demko around if Marky is going to sign a long term deal.

The question is what can we get for a Demko/Stecher + package?  Detroit is in full re-build mode now.  They need help in goal and on defence.  If we add to Demko/Stecher could we get Anthony Mantha?  He's 25 so not one of their younger players and is an RFA this summer, so maybe Detroit would prefer to trade him for several younger pieces to help with their rebuild.  Mantha playing with BO and Virtanen could be a very good 2nd line with size and speed.  Or you keep Virtanen on the 3rd line and Pearson plays with Mantha and BO.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rafferty is ready for the NHL now.  He's 24 years old.  He could play on the 3rd pairing today.  Would give us an instant offensive boost and he can run our 2nd unit PP. 

Stecher isn't coming back next year, we don't have the cap space to re-up him on a new deal.  He will want over $3 million.  The time to trade Stecher would be this year so we can bring Rafferty up to replace him and use Stecher as a piece to acquire another top 6 forward.  With Ferland and now Leivo out long term it is imperative that Benning acquire another forward who can play in the top 6 if we have any playoff aspirations this year.  Also, if Benning were to sign Markstrom to a long term deal this year then we can also use Demko as a trade chip along with Stecher.  No point in keeping Demko around if Marky is going to sign a long term deal.

The question is what can we get for a Demko/Stecher + package?  Detroit is in full re-build mode now.  They need help in goal and on defence.  If we add to Demko/Stecher could we get Anthony Mantha?  He's 25 so not one of their younger players and is an RFA this summer, so maybe Detroit would prefer to trade him for several younger pieces to help with their rebuild.  Mantha playing with BO and Virtanen could be a very good 2nd line with size and speed.  Or you keep Virtanen on the 3rd line and Pearson plays with Mantha and BO.

great idea

Beartschi+ Demko+Stetcher for Mantha and a 3rd or 4th

we are missing a true number one d man, we need to somehow replace elder...

Rafferty shoots right, big, can skate, offensive, what's not to love, surprised he does not get more hype.

Edited by Canucks Curse

7 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

wow, him, Lind and gdjo having good years, gives us options and a deeper prospect pool.

Forwards:

Lind

Gadjo

Madden

Hogz

Podz

McDonaugh

Focht

D:

Rafferty

Juolevi

Rathbone

Woo

Utunen

Brisebois

Chattefield

Trymakin

A few thoughts:

Juolevi + beartschi for Lias Andersson and cap space?

I think Pearson and Virtanen have shown that they can be top 6 forwards

I would prefer we try to get a top 1 D, but they are so hard to find.

Why the f would he trade OJ?  For one, his value is low.  Second, when healthy he's an excellent dman and the Canucks need dmen.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t see us moving both Tanev and Stecher. Probably just Stecher. We probably re-sign Tanev since he is one of the few D we have good in his own zone

With Edler being on his last year of his contract and possibly last season of his career next season, Tryamkin could likely replace him if he came back. Tryamkin would slide in nicely in that sort of situation. 

Tanev might not want to be back at a rate and term that makes sense to the Canucks given his injury history, raises required for Hughes/Pettersson etc.

13 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think it would be a mistake to replace Tanev unless he is injured - this long healthy stretch has really enabled him to recover his total game and at his best he is a really great player - a much undervalued talent.

See above. Nobody is saying he isn't a good or valued talent. This healthy stretch has also raised his trade value.

7 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

I hope not or the Canucks are going to have a lot of high scoring shoot outs without having a tough checking defenceman, I definitely see Stetcher being traded because Fantenberg has played surprisingly better then expected except for his penalties in the Penguins game, but I see Benn and Stetcher not coming back next year with Rafferty and then maybe Tryamkin coming back with still Woo, Rathbone and more coming to Utica next year. The Canucks need to replace Leivo and Ferland most likely out for the rest of the season and I see Stetcher being used as a chip to use to help get a rental winger for the second line. 

Tryamkin has been playing a shutdown role in Russia FYI.

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

Benning must be having great dreams at night now. So many of his picks are giving him options that were not there 3 years ago. With the CAP situation I think both Tanev and Stecher have to be in play. I can see one moved before the TDL. Both are character guys but I don't count either as serious CUP contending defenders. Tanev as a 2/3 RD might work but health and CAP restrictions likely don't. I think the org depth is likely passing both of them bye. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3