The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I would love to comment giys….but this is the wrong thread for this.....

We end up talking about the other d-men, in part, trying to figure out how a guy like Rafferty can come into play. IMO Benning has to make moves at some point this season. Rafferty is having such a strong season that he is almost forcing the issue. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Benning must be having great dreams at night now. So many of his picks are giving him options that were not there 3 years ago. With the CAP situation I think both Tanev and Stecher have to be in play. I can see one moved before the TDL. Both are character guys but I don't count either as serious CUP contending defenders. Tanev as a 2/3 RD might work but health and CAP restrictions likely don't. I think the org depth is likely passing both of them bye. 

I agree.  I think with Rafferty's play and with Marky most likely signing a well deserved long term extension, we have the flexibility to trade Demko and Stecher and package them into a top 6 forward.  Anthony Mantha would be my first choice, as he is a huge body who can skate and even drop the gloves to defend his teammates and can play with BO and either Pearson or Virtanen to make a strong second line for the playoffs.

Tanev is too risky to sign long term.  I predict we keep him for the playoff push though and then he most likely walks in the summer.  If Tryamkin can come back before the playoffs he will add a huge boost to this defence.  Adding Tryamkin and Rafferty to the playoff push would be huge.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  I think with Rafferty's play and with Marky most likely signing a well deserved long term extension, we have the flexibility to trade Demko and Stecher and package them into a top 6 forward.  Anthony Mantha would be my first choice, as he is a huge body who can skate and even drop the gloves to defend his teammates and can play with BO and either Pearson or Virtanen to make a strong second line for the playoffs.

Tanev is too risky to sign long term.  I predict we keep him for the playoff push though and then he most likely walks in the summer.  If Tryamkin can come back before the playoffs he will add a huge boost to this defence.  Adding Tryamkin and Rafferty to the playoff push would be huge.

If it weren't for Dipietro's play in Utica I don't think moving Demko is even discussed. Even at that I don't see it. Moving players for a playoff run is not as important to me as evaluation and developing what id already here. Making playoffs would be great experience for the young players but moving Demko is a big gamble. That said they have to re-sign Markstrom with limited CAP space. I am fascinated with the idea that Rafferty can push his way onto the Canuck roster. What a season he is having. 

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d sign tanev to a 1-2 year contract id honestly am scared to think of a Edler/tanev dcore they stabilize us a lot

38 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If it weren't for Dipietro's play in Utica I don't think moving Demko is even discussed. Even at that I don't see it. Moving players for a playoff run is not as important to me as evaluation and developing what id already here. Making playoffs would be great experience for the young players but moving Demko is a big gamble. That said they have to re-sign Markstrom with limited CAP space. I am fascinated with the idea that Rafferty can push his way onto the Canuck roster. What a season he is having. 

If Marky signs a long term extension then there is no need to keep an asset like Demko on the bench as a backup.  And he probably wouldn't want to stay anyways.  We need help up front, not just for this year, but we also need a long term solution for the top 6.  Packaging Demko/Stecher makes perfect sense as Marky/DiPietro and Rafferty would make them redundant. 

Leivo will be gone at the end of the year, who knows if Ferland will ever come back and Pearson most likely is gone after next year.  So that leaves at least 2 spots open in the top 6.  Podkolzin looks like a stud and could slide into one of those spots.  Hoglander and Madden are still prospects.  So we need a bonafide top 6 winger to fill the gap.  Even Benning himself admitted he is looking for one.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Marky signs a long term extension then there is no need to keep an asset like Demko on the bench as a backup.  And he probably wouldn't want to stay anyways.  We need help up front, not just for this year, but we also need a long term solution for the top 6.  Packaging Demko/Stecher makes perfect sense as Marky/DiPietro and Rafferty would make them redundant. 

Leivo will be gone at the end of the year, who knows if Ferland will ever come back and Pearson most likely is gone after next year.  So that leaves at least 2 spots open in the top 6.  Podkolzin looks like a stud and could slide into one of those spots.  Hoglander and Madden are still prospects.  So we need a bonafide top 6 winger to fill the gap.  Even Benning himself admitted he is looking for one.

I tend to think that's a speculative argument. Leivo signed a 1 year deal because of his contract status post season. Ferland has to be shown he's unable to continue to play … to the satisfaction of the league and frankly no one, no one is going to take him off your hands unless he shows his worth in the remaining season term. I would be  mildly  shocked if Leivo leaves baring in mind a replacement might well come at a greater cost for the same return in value

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I tend to think that's a speculative argument. Leivo signed a 1 year deal because of his contract status post season. Ferland has to be shown he's unable to continue to play … to the satisfaction of the league and frankly no one, no one is going to take him off your hands unless he shows his worth in the remaining season term. I would be  mildly  shocked if Leivo leaves baring in mind a replacement might well come at a greater cost for the same return in value

Leivo is a UFA so he will shop his services around.  We could re-sign him but we have the option to upgrade if possible.  Ferland is currently on LTIR.  Nobody knows when he will be back.  It could be this year, it could be next year.  If he does come back how will he play?  Will he be able to contribute full time in a top 6 role or will he be a role player who can slide up and down the lineup when healthy?

I don't think the Canucks can rely on Ferland at this point to be a full time starter.  One more head shot and he could retire.  Best to make use of some of our younger assets to get a legit top 6 winger.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

10 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

wow, him, Lind and gdjo having good years, gives us options and a deeper prospect pool.

Forwards:

Lind

Gadjo

Madden

Hogz

Podz

McDonaugh

Focht

D:

Rafferty

Juolevi

Rathbone

Woo

Utunen

Brisebois

Chattefield

Trymakin

A few thoughts:

Juolevi + beartschi for Lias Andersson and cap space?

I think Pearson and Virtanen have shown that they can be top 6 forwards

I would prefer we try to get a top 1 D, but they are so hard to find.

I would be disappointed if we settle on Pearson as a top 6.. he's steady, but compare him to top 6 on Vegas, Tampa, healthy Pittsburgh, or even Toronto - he ain't there.. I think he has value on the 3rd, as does Leivo. Virt I believe hasn't peaked yet, he might be top 6, time will tell.. 

at this point with Raff in the wings, I would certainly entertain trading Stetch ++ for an actual top 6, someone creative to work with Bo. I imagine Podz in that position, but who knows how long it will be before he's ready.. 

There's a lot of talk about not bringing back Tanev and/or Stetcher this summer, but who do you replace them with, especially Tanev? Rafferty could likely step into the bottom pairing and be fine and that seems to be what Benning is hoping for, but we have absolutely nothing that could replace Tanev. If we don't find a replacement, we're a worse team and next year is not the time to be a worse team considering we could possibly be giving up our unprotected 1st to Tampa.

These are two important pieces on the back end. They can't just be replaced with anything. Our defense has finally gotten to NHL caliber after years of Pouliot, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Del Zotto, etc. 

After 5-ish years on the job, Benning still hasn't come close to finding a Tanev replacement (or an Edler one if Juolevi's injuries eat him up). 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

There's a lot of talk about not bringing back Tanev and/or Stetcher this summer, but who do you replace them with, especially Tanev? Rafferty could likely step into the bottom pairing and be fine and that seems to be what Benning is hoping for, but we have absolutely nothing that could replace Tanev. If we don't find a replacement, we're a worse team and next year is not the time to be a worse team considering we could possibly be giving up our unprotected 1st to Tampa.

These are two important pieces on the back end. They can't just be replaced with anything. Our defense has finally gotten to NHL caliber after years of Pouliot, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Del Zotto, etc. 

After 5-ish years on the job, Benning still hasn't come close to finding a Tanev replacement (or an Edler one if Juolevi's injuries eat him up). 

Firstly, I would point out that Myers has really taken the pressure off Tanev and I would suggest that Tanev being healthy this year has a lot to do with Myers taking some of the strain.  

Second, I would ask how you think we start to transition to a younger defence if we do not start to plug guys in when they are ready? I am not saying Rafferty needs to come up now but definitely sometime soon.   And we have a few D-Men knocking on the door.  Juolevi and Briseboise for sure.  Teves sure has looked decent and if his mobility is good enough he may press for a spot.  Tryamkin may come back.  Woo and Rathbone will probably be Utica bound next year and both look solid so far.  If we keep signing our D men and do not transition and trade for to improve the team we will forever have the d core that struggles to clear the zone so often.  

1 minute ago, TGT68 said:

Firstly, I would point out that Myers has really taken the pressure off Tanev and I would suggest that Tanev being healthy this year has a lot to do with Myers taking some of the strain.  

Second, I would ask how you think we start to transition to a younger defence if we do not start to plug guys in when they are ready? I am not saying Rafferty needs to come up now but definitely sometime soon.   And we have a few D-Men knocking on the door.  Juolevi and Briseboise for sure.  Teves sure has looked decent and if his mobility is good enough he may press for a spot.  Tryamkin may come back.  Woo and Rathbone will probably be Utica bound next year and both look solid so far.  If we keep signing our D men and do not transition and trade for to improve the team we will forever have the d core that struggles to clear the zone so often.  

If adding Myers reduced the strain on Tanev, then losing Tanev will dump that strain back onto Myers. We've already seen some cracks in Myers' game and increasing his workload is going to make it worse.

Not one of those young defenseman you listed are good enough to replace Tanev. They're all 3rd pairing/replacement level players. We're talking about next year because that's when the 1st round pick could be in play, not down the line when Woo is in his prime. If you took out Tanev and replaced him with one of those defensemen you listed, our defense is considerably worse.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

If adding Myers reduced the strain on Tanev, then losing Tanev will dump that strain back onto Myers. We've already seen some cracks in Myers' game and increasing his workload is going to make it worse.

Not one of those young defenseman you listed are good enough to replace Tanev. They're all 3rd pairing/replacement level players. We're talking about next year because that's when the 1st round pick could be in play, not down the line when Woo is in his prime. If you took out Tanev and replaced him with one of those defensemen you listed, our defense is considerably worse.

Ref :- Myers. We're notseeibg some cracks most were aware of those cracks before he arrived . He has played in the league for 11 years and din't suddenly chnage his game when he here. But I do tend to think you're under rating Rafferty by lumping him in with  Briesebois  and Woo. I watched Rafferty last season and was shocked with his skill and composure.. Tanev  is certainly worth the risk of re-signing

Edited by Fred65
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Tanev might not want to be back at a rate and term that makes sense to the Canucks given his injury history, raises required for Hughes/Pettersson etc.

See above. Nobody is saying he isn't a good or valued talent. This healthy stretch has also raised his trade value.

Tryamkin has been playing a shutdown role in Russia FYI.

Edler, Pearson, Sutter and a few others contracts are up in that time so re-signing them shouldn’t be an issue. Hughes probably be a bridge deal but Petey long term. 

Personally I don’t think it is a good idea to be without both Tanev and Edler in two years. Benn would be gone too. We’d have to sign another D who would ask for a lot of cash and term like Myers. We could get Tanev for cheaper and less term. 

You have a lot of faith in the young players to step up into huge roles in a couple seasons and Tryamkin coming back. 

I’d rather play it safe and keep Tanev since Edler will be 35 when his contract is up. Tanev would be an excellent bridge veteran for 4-5 more years as young guys like Rathbone, Rafferty, Woo, Juolevi make the jump. 

Tanev could walk or could re-sign. His decision would definitely change our plans. Benning and co should see where his head is at that way we can move him if he doesn’t want to come back. I am fine with moving him if he doesn’t want to come back. That’s the smart move. Even if he’s skeptical it should be considered. 

Personally the best move would be a trade/re-sign but we don’t see much of those anymore. 

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You have a lot of faith in the young players to step up into huge roles in a couple seasons and Tryamkin coming back. 

I'm just stating it's a possible outcome. Not declaring it as 'future fact'.

It's quite probable Tanev wants more on what will likely be his last, longer term, higher dollar contact of his career, than what the Canucks will be willing to offer. Particularly given his injury history and the reality we will need to be giving raises to kids sooner than later. And hence, won't be back.

Stecher will be in a similar situation where he can probably get more term, dollars and possibly a bigger role in another team than we can offer. And likewise, won't be back.

We may not have an option of not replacing them with Tryamkin and Rafferty.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I would love to comment giys….but this is the wrong thread for this.....

You did one of these posts in the Tree thread, Jan. It's all contextual.

Everything is connected..the direction of this thread is linked to the temperature of my takoyaki in Osaka. No big deal mahn

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm just stating it's a possible outcome. Not declaring it as 'future fact'.

It's quite probable Tanev wants more on what will likely be his last, longer term, higher dollar contact of his career, than what the Canucks will be willing to offer. Particularly given his injury history and the reality we will need to be giving raises to kids sooner than later. And hence, won't be back.

Stecher will be in a similar situation where he can probably get more term, dollars and possibly a bigger role in another team than we can offer. And likewise, won't be back.

We may not have an option of not replacing them with Tryamkin and Rafferty.

I see. You’re just playing out future scenarios. 

Likewise I am keeping an open mind. Benning and co should and probably are seeing where Tanev and others are at that way decisions can be made. 

Should be an interesting month and a half till TD. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You did one of these posts in the Tree thread, Jan. It's all contextual.

Everything is connected..the direction of this thread is linked to the temperature of my takoyaki in Osaka. No big deal mahn

Yes, I was a grump this morning...….sorry, everybody! :blush:

• Cheers 1