The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

22 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Scrolled quickly, but you've prob taken a little heat here, for this view.

I've been down this path my friend(plenty!)..there are merits/demerits, & a lot depends upon what a player might fetch(who knows for sure?)

I like Tanev a lot, but I agree a case might be made that the team would be wise to evaluate all options.

BTW, hey all you CDC'ers..this is a the peace, goodwill, Kumbaya season eh? (we all oughta' get along for a spell)

I think the biggest factor would be if Tryamkin returns and his showing during his return. If Tryamkin shows he could simply take over Tanev's role, then it could be argued that it's worth trading him, but that only strengthens a potential rival (so of course we look at Eastern teams, but then that limits our options too assuming there is interest at all).

If our goal is indeed playoffs this year (at least to make a serious push), then Tanev makes our team that much better for the drive and possible run (even including Tryamkin). IMO I would view it as our playoff push rental that most teams make, but without costing us any assets. Now of course we could also look into trading him if there is enough interest to acquire a 1st and we buy another rental for say a 2nd/3rd and thus "moving up" in the draft, but of course there has to be a player available for this price that doesn't downgrade our team significantly to even consider this option and it all has to play out right (if we move Tanev first, the other team that we are trying to trade with could decide to raise the price).

There are many potential scenarios, but if the primary goal is playoffs and to not give up a high (unprotected) 1st, then we should be going "all in" this year. It accomplishes those goals plus gives our young players playoff experience and the coaching/management to be able to assess the players at the next level (even if we are knocked out in the 1st round). I think the pros of keeping Tanev, even if he walks as a UFA, outweigh the pros of trading him (we don't know what his trade market value is other than previous rumours of Toronto wanting to trade a 2nd and a weak prospect/project player).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Fantenburg has been around a couple of team but seems to be showing well in Vcr. I'd think he sees a roster spot  open, his to grab

I'm thinking more of the college UFAs.  I'm pretty sure they put a high priority on signing with a team that looks to have few good prospects in their position, to maximize their chances of actually playing in the NHL.  We used to be one of those teams, but less and less every year.

18 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'm thinking more of the college UFAs.  I'm pretty sure they put a high priority on signing with a team that looks to have few good prospects in their position, to maximize their chances of actually playing in the NHL.  We used to be one of those teams, but less and less every year.

You nailed it. Agents look or survey NHL team that are best suited to their clients. 

On 12/25/2019 at 10:25 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yes, when it has context. +/- is an indicator, not a stat per se. If you have 2 points, play first line minutes as a defensive pair, and you have +15 in 20 games. That would be an indicator that you know the defensive side well. Having a high plus/minus and lots of points, means you need to look deeper into how a player is playing. 

Rafferty is doing well, as is Teves. Considering they were free pickups by Benning and Co. I hope we get a lot more free prospects like this. 

I'm disappointed in Kielly as a goaltender. Over 4 GAA, and 0.873 Save % in the ECHL. Now once again context does need to be applied. If the Kwings defence is crap, that might explain some things. The fact the other goalie has only marginally better stats, might be more a bigger picture here. Maybe he can turn it around the latter half of the season. 

Agreed, if a goalie has a weak D in front of him that allows shots from great scoring angles and permits lots of cross ice play, he is going to struggle - especially if he is a goalie that relies almost entirely on positioning.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Having wild cards like Trymakin and Tanev make this season so interesting.  Both keeping a trading Tanev are equally likely atm.  

If Trymakin is set to return, then he could take over Tanev's minutes to some extent and due to his giantganticness he will change the way teams attack our zone.  

But keeping both would give this team a very deep and adjustable defence.  

Sit Stecher put in Trymakin for heavier teams, sit Trymkin (or Myers ... joking) for the faster smaller teams.  Injury depth or even resting banged up guys so they don't get injured could be possible.  

Kinda a GM's dream.   Move Tanev if the team is not finished strong or you get an offer you can't resist. Thinking of you TO.  The laffs would be dumb not to improve their defence going into the playoffs, if they make the playoffs.  There is no wrong move.  

With Trymakin, the only wrong move would be to not sign him.  Even then, you could argue that was on Trymakin and  not JB.  

I say keep them all for this year.  You won't get a better shot at the playoffs with a defence that deep without surrending assets or picks.  

We don't have the best players at every position as compared to other western teams but currently and with Trymakin returning (fingers crossed) we would be a deep team.  

We could role a potent top line with high IQ players that would be hard to shut down over a series.  I could see the Lotto line not producing for a game or two, but sooner or later one of them would find a seam in the defence and break it open.  

Horvat's line is built like Kesler's line was back in the day.  Fantastic.  

The 3rd line is almost a 2b line.  You have to defend them.  Gaudette has way too much offense, Jake is getting an education from Rousell.  A threat to score every game.  

With Motte back, the 4th line can take solid minutes.  Beagle is off a bit, but he is too much of a pro to stay that way.  A fair to decent 4th line in the NHL.  

Add our defence with Trymakin,

Hughes Tanev

Edler Myers

Benn Stecher

Fattenburg Trymakin

Then have Marky playing super motivated for alot of personal reasons and then a solid back up in Demko. 

Well that is a darkhorse team that has a good story to it.   

That is team that you can't let get any confidence or momentum.  

So high right now... happy 420 in the 2020.  

Well....you almost spelled Tryamkin's name correct once (but you didn't lol) out of nine tries ::D

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Having wild cards like Trymakin and Tanev make this season so interesting.  Both keeping a trading Tanev are equally likely atm.  

If Trymakin is set to return, then he could take over Tanev's minutes to some extent and due to his giantganticness he will change the way teams attack our zone.  

But keeping both would give this team a very deep and adjustable defence.  

Sit Stecher put in Trymakin for heavier teams, sit Trymkin (or Myers ... joking) for the faster smaller teams.  Injury depth or even resting banged up guys so they don't get injured could be possible.  

Kinda a GM's dream.   Move Tanev if the team is not finished strong or you get an offer you can't resist. Thinking of you TO.  The laffs would be dumb not to improve their defence going into the playoffs, if they make the playoffs.  There is no wrong move.  

With Trymakin, the only wrong move would be to not sign him.  Even then, you could argue that was on Trymakin and  not JB.  

I say keep them all for this year.  You won't get a better shot at the playoffs with a defence that deep without surrending assets or picks.  

We don't have the best players at every position as compared to other western teams but currently and with Trymakin returning (fingers crossed) we would be a deep team.  

We could role a potent top line with high IQ players that would be hard to shut down over a series.  I could see the Lotto line not producing for a game or two, but sooner or later one of them would find a seam in the defence and break it open.  

Horvat's line is built like Kesler's line was back in the day.  Fantastic.  

The 3rd line is almost a 2b line.  You have to defend them.  Gaudette has way too much offense, Jake is getting an education from Rousell.  A threat to score every game.  

With Motte back, the 4th line can take solid minutes.  Beagle is off a bit, but he is too much of a pro to stay that way.  A fair to decent 4th line in the NHL.  

Add our defence with Trymakin,

Hughes Tanev

Edler Myers

Benn Stecher

Fattenburg Trymakin

Then have Marky playing super motivated for alot of personal reasons and then a solid back up in Demko. 

Well that is a darkhorse team that has a good story to it.   

That is team that you can't let get any confidence or momentum.  

So high right now... happy 420 in the 2020.  

If you are indeed high, there's more competent talk here than some who I believe are sober here. Not Alf of course.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I am indeed high.  

Littering and....  littering and....  littering and, smoking the reefer!  

Now here's a ticket for talking about Tryamkin in the Rafferty thread!  

On 12/31/2019 at 4:49 PM, dpn1 said:

If you get a chance to see the highlights from the Comets game tonight, you need to.  What a move by Rafferty to score on the PP and they won tonight as well.  3-2 Comets.

I don't think Rafferty can be any more ready to make the jump then he will be at next training camp.