Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Ok genius.  :frantic:

 

Re read what I said.  There are literally THOUSANDS of studies that show smoke in your lungs causes cancer over time.  It does not matter what kind of smoke.  Good god.....

 

Edit: I won't get into an online argument about this. You are either too stoned to think or are just being ridiculous. It would be like arguing the Earth is a sphere with a flat earther.  :lol:

 

 

Anyway, I hope Rafferty gets a try out on the big club if Stecher goes down.

As another poster said, it's not the smoke but what's in it.  Burning tobacco releases chemicals that can cause cancer. Those chemicals aren't present in pot.  Oh, and I don't smoke pot, but I do research from reputable sites which is why I know that smoking pot doesn't cause cancer.

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burr 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, droid56 said:

As another poster said, it's not the smoke but what's in it.  Burning tobacco releases chemicals that can cause cancer. Those chemicals aren't present in pot.  Oh, and I don't smoke pot, but I do research from reputable sites which is why I know that smoking pot doesn't cause cancer.

Quite right. Some substances are carcinogenic, others are not. And of course the amount of exposure makes a difference too. Even the stoniest of stoners don't inhale nearly as much smoke as an average cigarette smoker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 11:48 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

Some posters just don't get it.  You don't trade one of your best D (Tanev) when you are working hard to make the playoffs.  Such a weird thing to type.

 

Anyway, I hope Rafferty continues to develop. We need a couple young D to force their way onto the Canucks in the next couple years.

I totally agree.  Canuck fans have been conditioned to look towards next season and, We’re usually out of a playoff spot by now.  It will take time for that mentality to change.  We’re a good team, young and fast.  When the Black Hawks played us I bet they saw themselves in the mirror, only their time is over and they’re passing of the torch to the next generation of talent.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2020 at 1:29 PM, droid56 said:

There is zero evidence of any kind that indicates smoking marijuana causes cancer.  

There has not been much research on this, but one thing to consider is that most of the chemicals in tobacco smoke are also in pot smoke - so, it is not unreasonable to assume that there may be a risk: https://www.cancer.ca/en/prevention-and-screening/reduce-cancer-risk/make-healthy-choices/live-smoke-free/cannabis-and-cancer/?region=qc

  • Like 1
  • Wat 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There has not been much research on this, but one thing to consider is that most of the chemicals in tobacco smoke are also in pot smoke - so, it is not unreasonable to assume that there may be a risk: https://www.cancer.ca/en/prevention-and-screening/reduce-cancer-risk/make-healthy-choices/live-smoke-free/cannabis-and-cancer/?region=qc

Tobacco smoke is, without question, far worse:

 

https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201212-127FR

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Tobacco smoke is, without question, far worse:

 

https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201212-127FR

 

6 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Tobacco smoke is, without question, far worse:

 

https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201212-127FR

There is not enough evidence in yet on the effects of smoking the devil weed, to know that. You can only measure two things against each other when you have a good measurement of each.  We know tobacco is carcinogenic, we are still waiting for definitive information on pot.  You also have to note that pot has changed a lot over the years, the weed in my youth thaf took a joint to get you buzzed, might only take a couple of hits of today’s pot to get you stoned to the same degree.

 

Of course, cancer is also not the only issue, now being measured in modern studies, many of which are disturbing. That should not affect the legality, of course, you should be entirely free to ingest whatever you wish - no matter how unwise it would be. But just as one should be informed regarding any pharmaceuticals that you might need to take, one should be just as informed about non-medical chemicals.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

 

There is not enough evidence in yet on the effects of smoking the devil weed, to know that. You can only measure two things against each other when you have a good measurement of each.  We know tobacco is carcinogenic, we are still waiting for definitive information on pot.  You also have to note that pot has changed a lot over the years, the weed in my youth thaf took a joint to get you buzzed, might only take a couple of hits of today’s pot to get you stoned to the same degree.

 

Of course, cancer is also not the only issue, now being measured in modern studies, many of which are disturbing. That should not affect the legality, of course, you should be entirely free to ingest whatever you wish - no matter how unwise it would be. But just as one should be informed regarding any pharmaceuticals that you might need to take, one should be just as informed about non-medical chemicals.

 

I will have to do more research. Thanks for the encouragement. 

  • Burr 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Googlie said:

Rafferty with another 2 assists in the 3-2 win over Belleville.

 

Leads all AHL defensemen with 32 points in 37 games (old friend Pouliot is closest at 28 points)

I know he is already 24 years old but the more and more I see of him the more I think he could develop into a top 4 Dman for us. His season has been so impressive for a first year pro. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I know he is already 24 years old but the more and more I see of him the more I think he could develop into a top 4 Dman for us. His season has been so impressive for a first year pro. 

   I am impressed with not only Rafferty but JB and the scouting staff's ability to find quality prospects / players in the NCAA and either draft them ( Boeser, Gaudette, Demko, Hughes ) or sign them as a free agent ( Stetcher ). Other NCAA players knocking at the NHL door but either still in college or the AHL include; Rafferty, Teves, Lockwood, Madden, Malone, McDonough and Rathbone. 

 

   This appears to be a dominant trend by JB and staff over the last four years and has led to the cupboards going from barren to reasonably well stocked on both the Canuck and Comets and hopefully the years going forward will fill the cupboard to overflowing.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is positive that Rafferty is doing so well.

 

But the hyperbole here is really growing lol.  The leading AHL d man each year has not exactly panned out in the NHL over the past number of years. So people should temper their expectations if they think Rafferty will walk into the NHL and be able to play at that level.

 

2018/19  Aaron Ness - currently plays on Tucson Roadrunners

2017/18  Sami Niku - on Winnipeg Jets; playing low minutes on the Jets; 

2016/17  David Warsofsky - plays on Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins

2015/16  Ville Pokka - plays for Avangard Omsk - could not make the NHL after being a well hyped prospect

2014/15  Brandon Manning - plays for Bakersfield Condors

2013/14  Danny Syvret - plays for Nurnberg Ice Tigers DEL

2012/13  Torey Krug - Boston Bruins - 30 points so far in 2020  -- had 45 points when in AHL

               Sami Vatanen - New Jersey Devils - 22 points so far in 2020 -- tied Krug with 45 when in AHL

2011/12  Matt Donovan - Milwaukee Admirals

2010/11  Erik Gustafsson - Chicago Blackhawks - 18 points so far in 2020

2009/10  Derek Smith - plays for Medvescak Zagreb

2008/09  Cody Franson - plays for Avangard Omsk -- played 9 years in the NHL; an average of around 25 pts per year; high was 33 in 2013/14

2007/08  Joel Kwiatkowski - MODO hockey; played a couple years with a meaningful amount of games in NHL twice

2006/07  Sheldon Brookbank - played 5 or 6 years in NHL usually with 40 or so games or less except twice

2005/06  Andy Delmore - played about 3 years with meaningful amount of games in NHL 

 

I am just tempering my own expectations with respect to Rafferty.  There is not exactly a strong case to be made to say that top scoring AHL D men do well in the NHL.  There are a few examples above where it has turned out well but most times it does not.

 

I do hope Rafferty is just a bit of a late bloomer and can continue to get better and actually play meaningful games in the NHL.

 

But those slotting him in the lineup ahead of Stecher are 'stretching' it in my opinion.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It is positive that Rafferty is doing so well.

 

But the hyperbole here is really growing lol.  The leading AHL d man each year has not exactly panned out in the NHL over the past number of years. So people should temper their expectations if they think Rafferty will walk into the NHL and be able to play at that level.

 

2018/19  Aaron Ness - currently plays on Tucson Roadrunners

2017/18  Sami Niku - on Winnipeg Jets; playing low minutes on the Jets; 

2016/17  David Warsofsky - plays on Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins

2015/16  Ville Pokka - plays for Avangard Omsk - could not make the NHL after being a well hyped prospect

2014/15  Brandon Manning - plays for Bakersfield Condors

2013/14  Danny Syvret - plays for Nurnberg Ice Tigers DEL

2012/13  Torey Krug - Boston Bruins - 30 points so far in 2020  -- had 45 points when in AHL

               Sami Vatanen - New Jersey Devils - 22 points so far in 2020 -- tied Krug with 45 when in AHL

2011/12  Matt Donovan - Milwaukee Admirals

2010/11  Erik Gustafsson - Chicago Blackhawks - 18 points so far in 2020

2009/10  Derek Smith - plays for Medvescak Zagreb

2008/09  Cody Franson - plays for Avangard Omsk -- played 9 years in the NHL; an average of around 25 pts per year; high was 33 in 2013/14

2007/08  Joel Kwiatkowski - MODO hockey; played a couple years with a meaningful amount of games in NHL twice

2006/07  Sheldon Brookbank - played 5 or 6 years in NHL usually with 40 or so games or less except twice

2005/06  Andy Delmore - played about 3 years with meaningful amount of games in NHL 

 

I am just tempering my own expectations with respect to Rafferty.  There is not exactly a strong case to be made to say that top scoring AHL D men do well in the NHL.  There are a few examples above where it has turned out well but most times it does not.

 

I do hope Rafferty is just a bit of a late bloomer and can continue to get better and actually play meaningful games in the NHL.

 

But those slotting him in the lineup ahead of Stecher are 'stretching' it in my opinion.

 

Right now yeah. Stech is an experienced NHL top 6 RD and Raffytaffy hasn't even hit 10 games.

 

Next season we might have to let Stech go though so Raff will probably be a major candidate to replace him.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

 

I am just tempering my own expectations with respect to Rafferty.  There is not exactly a strong case to be made to say that top scoring AHL D men do well in the NHL.  There are a few examples above where it has turned out well but most times it does not.

Yeah, I remember how impressed I was a few years ago with Bobby S:

Bob Sanguinetti

Defense -- shoots R
Born Feb 29 1988 -- Trenton, NJ
Height 6.02 -- Weight 187 [188 cm/85 kg]                                                                                                                       Games.            Goals              Assists.            Points.          PIM
2014-15 Utica Comets AHL 61 16 24 40 16
Edited by Googlie
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It is positive that Rafferty is doing so well.

 

But the hyperbole here is really growing lol.  The leading AHL d man each year has not exactly panned out in the NHL over the past number of years. So people should temper their expectations if they think Rafferty will walk into the NHL and be able to play at that level.

 

2018/19  Aaron Ness - currently plays on Tucson Roadrunners

2017/18  Sami Niku - on Winnipeg Jets; playing low minutes on the Jets; 

2016/17  David Warsofsky - plays on Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins

2015/16  Ville Pokka - plays for Avangard Omsk - could not make the NHL after being a well hyped prospect

2014/15  Brandon Manning - plays for Bakersfield Condors

2013/14  Danny Syvret - plays for Nurnberg Ice Tigers DEL

2012/13  Torey Krug - Boston Bruins - 30 points so far in 2020  -- had 45 points when in AHL

               Sami Vatanen - New Jersey Devils - 22 points so far in 2020 -- tied Krug with 45 when in AHL

2011/12  Matt Donovan - Milwaukee Admirals

2010/11  Erik Gustafsson - Chicago Blackhawks - 18 points so far in 2020

2009/10  Derek Smith - plays for Medvescak Zagreb

2008/09  Cody Franson - plays for Avangard Omsk -- played 9 years in the NHL; an average of around 25 pts per year; high was 33 in 2013/14

2007/08  Joel Kwiatkowski - MODO hockey; played a couple years with a meaningful amount of games in NHL twice

2006/07  Sheldon Brookbank - played 5 or 6 years in NHL usually with 40 or so games or less except twice

2005/06  Andy Delmore - played about 3 years with meaningful amount of games in NHL 

 

I am just tempering my own expectations with respect to Rafferty.  There is not exactly a strong case to be made to say that top scoring AHL D men do well in the NHL.  There are a few examples above where it has turned out well but most times it does not.

 

I do hope Rafferty is just a bit of a late bloomer and can continue to get better and actually play meaningful games in the NHL.

 

But those slotting him in the lineup ahead of Stecher are 'stretching' it in my opinion.

 

Honest question, (not trying to knock your post) how many of these players were first year pros?

Edited by Petey Castiglione
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...