The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If nothing else this year has shown that the biggest need on the current roster is on the d-side. Regular games with +35 shots on goal will mean a quick exit from playoffs this year if they make it.

As much as I may agree play in our own end could improve, and our D core is still a work in progress, SOG #'s don't always tell the whole story. I'll gladly give up 3 shots from the perimeter vs 2 shots in the slot all day, any day, for example.

I believe that's where we're headed (if currently imperfect at times due to both quality and experience of personnel - both F and D).

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2020 at 7:36 AM, kylecanuck said:

I see what you're saying and it does make a lot of sense, trading Tanev would pu out a negative vibe in the team. Maybe stretcher is the man out, he's a great but for his size and skill set, but he can be replaced by the younger players coming up.. 

One of the toughest things in building a winner is how to replace a guy that is playing well, and giving everything to the team - like Stetcher.  I really like Stetcher's effort, I think he works as harder or harder than anyone on this hard-working team.  Stetcher has done nothing to deserve being moved and he has also been very durable.  Sometimes coaches and managers take advantage of injuries, which may give an up and comer the chance he has been waiting for to prove that he is ready to take someone's job. The last twenty games and the playoffs will surely test the team's depth - maybe that's where someone like Rafferty or Tryamkin show that they have outplayed the guy they replace.  It does seem harsh: how did that old folk song go:
"Be not too hard, for life is hard,

And nothing is given to man..."

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Borvat said:

I was hoping they would give Rafferty at least a couple/few games with the big team before the deadline to see where his game is at.

Agreed but to be honest I felt last year showed he was an NHL D man.  He was light years beyond Teves and this year has taken a step to a point nobody would have predicted. I think we know he is ready but just like Tryamkin we have to slowly move guys out.  It will come down to selective replacements of Stecher and Fantenberg in the 1 year timeframe.  I think Tryamkin replaces Stecher this year if signed in time, Joulevi replaces Benn next year and Rafferty replaces Fantenberg next year.  Woo and Rathbone go to the AHL and start to push for the next spots.

Even though Tanev has been amazing with Hughes, I think there is a point where he is the next replaced.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed but to be honest I felt last year showed he was an NHL D man.  He was light years beyond Teves and this year has taken a step to a point nobody would have predicted. I think we know he is ready but just like Tryamkin we have to slowly move guys out.  It will come down to selective replacements of Stecher and Fantenberg in the 1 year timeframe.  I think Tryamkin replaces Stecher this year if signed in time, Joulevi replaces Benn next year and Rafferty replaces Fantenberg next year.  Woo and Rathbone go to the AHL and start to push for the next spots.

Even though Tanev has been amazing with Hughes, I think there is a point where he is the next replaced.

The greater issue here us the bad, cap eating contracts JB has signed that are making him choose whether to keep Tanev, or Marky, or any of our really valuable players.  Does JB do a full on Dubas (a double dumb ass move IMO) and trade away our future - picks/prospects - as sweetener to dump the bad contracts that are causing us to lose guys who actually are good and really contribute to us winning?  

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

One of the toughest things in building a winner is how to replace a guy that is playing well, and giving everything to the team - like Stetcher.  I really like Stetcher's effort, I think he works as harder or harder than anyone on this hard-working team.  Stetcher has done nothing to deserve being moved and he has also been very durable.  Sometimes coaches and managers take advantage of injuries, which may give an up and comer the chance he has been waiting for to prove that he is ready to take someone's job. The last twenty games and the playoffs will surely test the team's depth - maybe that's where someone like Rafferty or Tryamkin show that they have outplayed the guy they replace.  It does seem harsh: how did that old folk song go:

I agree, it would suck watching stetcher leave the team. He has been one of the hardest working players we have this year, and has been playing well to boot. And his value probably isn't what it should be either. 

I think we do need to make some room on the back end though, let future college free agents, and players know that you won't be stuck in the minors. Who do we part with at that point? Myers just signed a big contract, Hughes is Hughes... Tanev I would like to see delt, though it would throw out a lot of chemistry with Hughes. Benn and fantenberg are both solid big defensive bodies for the 6/7 spot. Stetcher might be the odd man out

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

The greater issue here us the bad, cap eating contracts JB has signed that are making him choose whether to keep Tanev, or Marky, or any of our really valuable players.  Does JB do a full on Dubas (a double dumb ass move IMO) and trade away our future - picks/prospects - as sweetener to dump the bad contracts that are causing us to lose guys who actually are good and really contribute to us winning?  

This will just happen through attrition.  We move Stecher at the deadline to acquire an asset.  Tanev will unfortunately leave next year without an asset In return because we need him this year.  He will ask for 5-6M per year and will unfortunately walk with Joulevi, Tryamkin as ELC or bridge replacements.  That’s how you sustain a competitive team.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 1

On 2/14/2020 at 10:17 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

I like Stetcher as well. 

But someone's got to go. We can't keep everyone, and the backend could be upgraded for sure. Could we recoup some draft picks, while giving some of the younger players like Rafferty a chance to show and demonstrate what he's got? 

Stetcher is good, but he's definitely replaceable, no? 

If we could find a way to keep him, and upgrade the backend, that'd be great. But someone isn't going to be happy, cause there's not enough ice to go around. 

13 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

This will just happen through attrition.  We move Stecher at the deadline to acquire an asset.  Tanev will unfortunately leave next year without an asset In return because we need him this year.  He will ask for 5-6M per year and will unfortunately walk with Joulevi, Tryamkin as ELC or bridge replacements.  That’s how you sustain a competitive team.

Tanev is a UFA next season? 

Can we not trade him before the deadline next year to recoup an asset? 

Unfortunately we don't really have another Tanev to replace Tanev. 

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Tanev is a UFA next season? 

Can we not trade him before the deadline next year to recoup an asset? 

Unfortunately we don't really have another Tanev to replace Tanev. 

Tanev is a free agent this summer. No recouping picks for him as the front office wants to make the playoffs. Unless they deal his rights in the summer just before free agency hits which will get you like a 5th round pick maybe but he’s probably going for nothing. The time to trade Tanev has long passed through the many years of rebuilding.

Edited by flickyoursedin

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Tanev is a free agent this summer. No recouping picks for him as the front office wants to make the playoffs. Unless they deal his rights in the summer just before free agency hits which will get you like a 5th round pick maybe but he’s probably going for nothing. The time to trade Tanev has long passed through the many years of rebuilding.

Yeah, that's true. Tanev's been a warrior for this franchise for sure. He's a valuable piece on defense for a playoff team. If he was a UFA next summer, would have been a nice situation where the organization could deal him for picks or prospects. But unfortunately, that's not the case - it's too bad we'll lose Tanev for nothing - even for a 5th round pick (we landed Gaudette there, didn't we? or was it the 4th round??). 

Would be nice to see how his game translates to the NHL, because as we know all too well, Utica success means nothing compared to the NHL. It'll be hard slotting him in to the lineup now unless injuries occur but the games are getting much more intense as well and the big question for Brogan will be his physicality and pace. Lots of young AHL D-men make mistakes at a higher pace and we can't afford any more massive turnovers.

14 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yeah he is.  He becomes our own rental this year because we need him.

sucks that we will lose him for nothing. 

seems like the Canucks are the only organization that seems to let our own players go for nothing. is it just me or do other teams around the league have a tendency to do this as seemingly often as the Canucks do? 

Edited by N4ZZY

23 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would be nice to see how his game translates to the NHL, because as we know all too well, Utica success means nothing compared to the NHL. It'll be hard slotting him in to the lineup now unless injuries occur but the games are getting much more intense as well and the big question for Brogan will be his physicality and pace. Lots of young AHL D-men make mistakes at a higher pace and we can't afford any more massive turnovers.

Yeah, i'm curious too, if Rafftery is able to translate his game to the NHL level. The Canucks aren't going far if they make the playoffs anyways, so why not give Rafferty games when it matters most, to see if he cuts it or not. If he does, the team has some pieces to move around and play with. if not, then keep everyone and make moves during the off-season. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

sucks that we will lose him for nothing. 

seems like the Canucks are the only organization that seems to let our own players go for nothing. is it just me or do other teams around the league have a tendency to do this as seemingly often as the Canucks do? 

No, it is just you. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. The UFAs that some people drool over every year - where do you think they come from? You need to get over that tanking mentality - it is not appropriate for the team's current situation.