The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

All people should be expecting at this level is something akin to a 'Yannick Weber'. Complimentary, depth, PP D.

Anything more than that is gravy.

I'm getting Kevin Connauton vibes from him. Decent offensively and good numbers in the AHL, but needs work defensively at the NHL level.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm getting Kevin Connauton vibes from him. Decent offensively and good numbers in the AHL, but needs work defensively at the NHL level.

That would be very disappointing if that is all Rafferty turned out to be like.

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That would be very disappointing if that is all Rafferty turned out to be like.

He's stuck around the league as a 5/6/7 guy. For a guy we signed for free as a 24 year old, that really isn't that bad nor should we expect more of. If he's any better, then it's gravy.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Connauton never dominated the AHL like Rafferty did this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

For a player that was ranked third over all for AHL rookies with a good +/- ( third amongst rookies) and 6th O/A in pts I don't see a good comparison with Connauton.  Connauton has always struggled defensively and for the most part was a minus player during his days in the AHL.   Maybe and this is streching it a bit but he doesn't play much of a physical game and admitted that himself. 

Edited by Fred65

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm kind of thinking, best case scenario, Chris Tanev

similar number in college to Tanev and Stetcher

Rafferty was the go to guy offensively last year in Utica, but will not supplant Hughes or probably Rathbone if he makes it, so you have a support D-man who will need to be the defensive stalwart PK guy if he is to make the NHL

Sizewise he is similar to Tanev and bigger than Stetcher, but the one eye thing may come into play if he move into the NHL.

I could see him being the defensive #6, best case #4

I think Connaughton is a good comparison

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Connauton never dominated the AHL like Rafferty did this season.

Connauton was in the AHL at the same age when Rafferty was in college. Rafferty wasn't too impressive in college. At Rafferty's current age, Connauton was already toiling around the NHL. His two stints back in the AHL, he's been pretty dominant.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

For a player that was ranked third over all for AHL rookies with a good +/- ( third amongst rookies) and 6th O/A in pts I don't see a good comparison with Connauton.  Connauton has always struggled defensively and for the most part was a minus player during his days in the AHL.   Maybe and this is streching it a bit but he doesn't play much of a physical game and admitted that himself. 

I'm not going to go over why +/- is not the most reflective of defensive play as we have gone over this before. But it's been noted that his defensive work needs improvement to get to the next level by Utica staff. Connauton has stuck around the NHL for a while now albeit a journeyman. It is not a knock to be compared to him. I'd like to hope for more from Rafferty, but why get excited over wishful thinking, am I right?

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Rafferty was the go to guy offensively last year in Utica, but will not supplant Hughes or probably Rathbone if he makes it, so you have a support D-man who will need to be the defensive stalwart PK guy if he is to make the NHL

Sizewise he is similar to Tanev and bigger than Stetcher, but the one eye thing may come into play if he move into the NHL.

Hoping he's a late bloomer like Tanev and finds an NHL level game, however I can't see Rafferty being that type of defensive player considering his biggest knock at the moment is his defense. If he can round his defensive game to be even close to Tanev's level then he's a top 4 dman easily. But yes Connauton has redefined his game a bit and found a niche as a journeyman 6/7 and I'm sure Rafferty would be glad to at least have a career like this which would likely set him for life financially along with whatever degree he finished with college.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, lmm said:

They are entirely different kinds of players.  Connaughton was all about his shot, Rafferty is all about skating, puck movement and that for a one-eyed guy, he sees the ice real well - that’s ‘seeing the ice’ is not about seeing, it is about processing the game - something else that is not in common with Connaughton.

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

They are entirely different kinds of players.  Connaughton was all about his shot, Rafferty is all about skating, puck movement and that for a one-eyed guy, he sees the ice real well - that’s ‘seeing the ice’ is not about seeing, it is about processing the game - something else that is not in common with Connaughton.

Connauton needed directions to find his own end of the ice. Rafferty regardless of the merits of the +/-  factually/statistically  more defensively aware than Connauton if he lives to be a hundred

On 5/16/2020 at 9:45 AM, aGENT said:

All people should be expecting at this level is something akin to a 'Yannick Weber'. Complimentary, depth, PP D.

Anything more than that is gravy.

True. But Benning is really good at making gravy, and we have become accustomed to receiving generous portions.

• Cheers 1

On 5/17/2020 at 12:34 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

I was not talking about style so much as probable ceiling.

He does not play like Tanev either, but may need to adopt that style to find a role

I just hope he's not another BoSan

Some great seasons in the AHL  ......

9 goals and 29 assists in 61 games for the Hartford Wolfpack

10 and 40 in 60 games for Charlotte

16 and 24 in 41 for Utica, followed by a great playoff run with 3 and 11 in 23 games

But a bit of a bust in the NHL ...

2 goals and 4 assists in 45 games

But he had size, and had wheels. Was a first round pick by the Rangers.

Here's Elite Prospects take on him then:  (sound familiar?)

Sanguinetti is an offensive-minded defenseman with good vision and puck-moving ability. Likes to use his terrific speed to join the rush. Without the puck, Sanguinetti is not overly physical, but has a good reach. However, there is room for improvement defensively.

58 minutes ago, Googlie said:

16 and 24 in 41 for Utica, followed by a great playoff run with 3 and 11 in 23 games

Sanguinetti is an offensive-minded defenseman with good vision and puck-moving ability. Likes to use his terrific speed to join the rush. Without the puck, Sanguinetti is not overly physical, but has a good reach. However, there is room for improvement defensively.

+24 in his year in Utica, must've been a defensive stalwart that season as well ;)

3 hours ago, lmm said:

I was not talking about style so much as probable ceiling.

He does not play like Tanev either, but may need to adopt that style to find a role

Pat Quinn was a great coach almost all of his players will tell you. Why was he a great coach? Because he made his system fit his players so that he could make the most of them and thereby get the greatest benefit for the team. Don’t ask your players to fit roles for which they are not suited. Look at the players who maximized their play under Quinn: Ronning (too small to play - as a fourth line C in St Louis), Geoff Courtnall (a very good, often traded, offensive forward who was surplu in St Louis), Sergio Momesso (a tough guy that could score), Robert Dirk (a big, tough, hard nosed defenceman who blossomed under Quinn - all pieces of the Garth Butcher trade that brought back to the Canuck’s key pieces in a run to the Stanley Cup finals. Add in Gerald Diduck (acquired from Montreal for a draft pick), Jeff Brown, Hedican, and LaFeyette all acquired for Craig Janney (compensation for Petr Nedved - neither of whom (Nedved & Janney) wanted to play in Vancouver), and there was the dreadfully slow Dana Murzyn, and Dave Babych, all made more valuable by the use Quinn made of them; adapting the team’s playing style to the material that he had to work with. 

So much depends on a coach finding a use for a player. Poor coaches try to persuade management to get them the players they think they need, the Canucks under Quinn were so tight for money that it cost them numerous players: Nedved, Janney, and later Bure - but Quinn managed to build a contender anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Rafferty had the second best +/- In Utica, and as a college player was noted for his all round play. In college, Chase Priskie and Brandon Fortunato got the power play time and Rafferty was the defensive D. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0014532019.html

in Utica, Rafferty earned the pp quarterback role over Juolevi - he wasn’t just given it - it was Juolevi’s role to keep, and on attack Juolevi is no slouch, but he is not Rafferty. Now, the question is, will Rafferty earn a role in Vancouver that makes the most use of his talents? We have an exceptional number one pp guy standing in his way in Hughes. If Rafferty is to earn a role on the Canucks it will probably have to be as a secondary pp guy and as a puck moving, transitional defender - the question is, is that a role that Green can be comfortable with? That seems to be a role already occupied by the six million dollar Myers. If the Canucks sign Tanev, and I hope they do, it would mean that Rafferty has to take Stetcher’s job. If the NHL allows a buyout or two this year - it could mean that the Canucks would be able to shed the six million dollar albatross, and maybe there will be a chance to move Sutter and Baertschi - leaving room to sign Tanev and Toffoli and perhaps Tryamkin to replace Benn And push back Fantenberg to the seventh defender. Much as I like Rafferty, I do not want to lose Tanev.

Leaving something like this: (if no trades acquiring players)

Miller.       Pettersson.  Toffoli

Pearson.  Horvat.         Boeser

Ferland.   Gaudette.     Virtanen

Motte.   .  Beagle.         MacEwen
Roussel.                        Leivo

Hughes.        Tanev

Edler.             Myers

Tryamkin.      Rafferty

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Rafferty had the second best +/- In Utica, and as a college player was noted for his all round play. In college, Chase Priskie and Brandon Fortunato got the power play time and Rafferty was the defensive D. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0014532019.html

in Utica, Rafferty earned the pp quarterback role over Juolevi - he wasn’t just given it - it was Juolevi’s role to keep, and on attack Juolevi is no slouch, but he is not Rafferty. Now, the question is, will Rafferty earn a role in Vancouver that makes the most use of his talents? We have an exceptional number one pp guy standing in his way in Hughes. If Rafferty is to earn a role on the Canucks it will probably have to be as a secondary pp guy and as a puck moving, transitional defender - the question is, is that a role that Green can be comfortable with? That seems to be a role already occupied by the six million dollar Myers. If the Canucks sign Tanev, and I hope they do, it would mean that Rafferty has to take Stetcher’s job. If the NHL allows a buyout or two this year - it could mean that the Canucks would be able to shed the six million dollar albatross, and maybe there will be a chance to move Sutter and Baertschi - leaving room to sign Tanev and Toffoli and perhaps Tryamkin to replace Benn And push back Fantenberg to the seventh defender. Much as I like Rafferty, I do not want to lose Tanev.

Leaving something like this: (if no trades acquiring players)

Miller.       Pettersson.  Toffoli

Pearson.  Horvat.         Boeser

Ferland.   Gaudette.     Virtanen

Motte.   .  Beagle.         MacEwen
Roussel.                        Leivo

Hughes.        Tanev

Edler.             Myers

Tryamkin.      Rafferty

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

Really like your forward combos and I like that you have Tryamkin and Rafferty on the back end. However, I think we have to let Tanev go. He isn't taking a discount on salary or term to stay. Will command 5x5,Often injured and only wasn't because of Hughes. If is tough tho because who replaces him right? I'd like to see us aggressively pursue via trade maybe Ryan Pulock( needs new contract but could be had for 4.8-5.25 ish on a long term deal), Brett Pesce( cost controlled 4 years @ 4.025)  or Damon Severson (cost controlled 3 years @ 4.16). Maybe dangle Juolevi/Rathbone + Virtanen or something along those lines. In that case Leivo bumps up to the third line or Kole Lind from Utica looks close

Hughes-Myers

Edler-__________

Tryamkin-Rafferty

20 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Really like your forward combos and I like that you have Tryamkin and Rafferty on the back end. However, I think we have to let Tanev go. He isn't taking a discount on salary or term to stay. Will command 5x5,Often injured and only wasn't because of Hughes. If is tough tho because who replaces him right? I'd like to see us aggressively pursue via trade maybe Ryan Pulock( needs new contract but could be had for 4.8-5.25 ish on a long term deal), Brett Pesce( cost controlled 4 years @ 4.025)  or Damon Severson (cost controlled 3 years @ 4.16). Maybe dangle Juolevi/Rathbone + Virtanen or something along those lines. In that case Leivo bumps up to the third line or Kole Lind from Utica looks close

Hughes-Myers

Edler-__________

Tryamkin-Rafferty

More likely Tanev didn’t spend much time on the sideline because he and the trainers made radical changes to his equipment - which made shot blocking less dangerous for Tanev this year than last year - also reflected in Tanev’s willingness to block shots - much more necessary covering for Hughes than for Edler. Last year 122 blocks in 55 games - this year 159 in 69 games.  Hughes is a terrific offensive player, a huge benefit for us, but having Tanev with him helps Hughes game more than it helps Tanev’s game - paired primarily with Hughes at even strength, Tanev is a plus player and Hughes is a minus player. On attack, Hughes does things nobody else on the Canucks can do, defensively Tanev gets things done that Hughes doesn’t - doesn’t mean Hughes won’t find a way to do those things, he is a brilliant D - probably the best to wear a Canucks uniform next to Paul Reinhart - but he doesn’t do them yet and I’d rather have Hughes mostly concerned with creating offence than trying to stop Draisaitl.