The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

6 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Practices?  What practices?  

As I understand it no practices and limited game day skate time.  

What is the NHL bubble & hub cities?

The NHL "bubble" consists of limited areas in two hub cities — Edmonton and Toronto — where team personnel will be required to remain as the league tries to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Each club is taking up one floor in a designated hotel. Other access areas include arenas, practice facilities, dining destinations (hotel restaurants and bars, and conference areas where food is brought in) and "other demarcated areas (indoor and outdoor)," according to the league's Phase 4 protocols. Individual access will be decided by the person's role with the club.

• 1 month later...

Brogan and Rathbone are the only two d in our system who I feel could give us that offensive, 2nd pairing and 2nd pp potential. If we can hit on at least one of them, that would make a huge difference to our overall scoring punch. 

We haven't had a scoring D in forever. Quinn is ridiculous but can't do it all. If we had a legit 2nd pairing guy waiting in the wings at ELC dollars I'd be stoked.

While that would help fix the scoring, does little for the defensive side. I honestly am not sure swapping out our defensive personnel is going to solve our defensive woes. The names on the list are pretty solid players, like Myers, Edler, and the most defensive of them all in Tanev. I believe something else is amiss.

Coaching and systems seem a likely culprit?

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Brogan and Rathbone are the only two d in our system who I feel could give us that offensive, 2nd pairing and 2nd pp potential. If we can hit on at least one of them, that would make a huge difference to our overall scoring punch. 

We haven't had a scoring D in forever. Quinn is ridiculous but can't do it all. If we had a legit 2nd pairing guy waiting in the wings at ELC dollars I'd be stoked.

While that would help fix the scoring, does little for the defensive side. I honestly am not sure swapping out our defensive personnel is going to solve our defensive woes. The names on the list are pretty solid players, like Myers, Edler, and the most defensive of them all in Tanev. I believe something else is amiss.

Coaching and systems seem a likely culprit?

OJ?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Won't be long before Toni Utunen is knocking down the door.  While he has some offensive smarts (dagger in the heart to Team Canada), it's his defense that is his calling card.  Never been a minus player thru the regular season, playoffs or World Juniors.  Only downside is that he is a left hand shot/left D and we have a glut of these.

Rafferty, being a right hand shot, has a much better chance of progressing with the big club

23 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

OJ?

You think he has that potential? Sorry, but I do not. I think he can make a good first pass and has good mobility and poise, but I see him as more of a utility defenseman. A guy who does everything fairly well, but doesn't stand out in many particular ways. 

To be fair, I haven't watched him play enough to be concrete on my views. Just how I feel based on what I have seen thusfar. Have only seen highlights of Rathbone too, for that matter. Mainly going by the buzz about him from CDC. I do think Rafferty will push for a spot at camp though.

21 minutes ago, kloubek said:

You think he has that potential? Sorry, but I do not. I think he can make a good first pass and has good mobility and poise, but I see him as more of a utility defenseman. A guy who does everything fairly well, but doesn't stand out in many particular ways. 

To be fair, I haven't watched him play enough to be concrete on my views. Just how I feel based on what I have seen thusfar. Have only seen highlights of Rathbone too, for that matter. Mainly going by the buzz about him from CDC. I do think Rafferty will push for a spot at camp though.

If the criteria that you set out is 2nd pairing with 2nd PP time, then yes I absolutely think he has that potential. He has his injury hurdle to overcome, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the IQ and skill to be that player. Aside from offense, he's been groomed to be a defensively responsible player and often was on the PK. Rafferty may be more on the offense, but he's going to actually have to work on the defensive side of his namesake position. I feel highly about Rathbone as well though, but I think OJ is right there in that discussion. He's not going to be a Hughes type of offensive player, but there's a reason why he's been one of the better offensive guys in every league he's been in and generally at a younger age than his peers while doing so.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Is this the same CDC buzz that has one of Rafferty or Chatfield replacing Tanev? :lol:

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Is this the same CDC buzz that has one of Rafferty or Chatfield replacing Tanev? :lol:

I'm seriously concerned if we don't re-sign Tanev. Despite his injury history, if we hope to replace him with one of our young guys, it's gonna be a disaster.

14 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I'm seriously concerned if we don't re-sign Tanev. Despite his injury history, if we hope to replace him with one of our young guys, it's gonna be a disaster.

Oh, I doubt it gets that far. Worst case if we can't retain him is that we likely retain Stecher and spend a bit on a guy like Braun or similar (or make a trade).

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Tanev is awesome. Yet we play fine without him.

Do we?  I don't have the stats but my understanding was that we don't.  Yet anyway.  He eats a lot of minutes, many of them against tougher opponents and PK.  If he's not available, that pushes everyone up the lineup and forces others to play more/tougher minutes.  Not sure our record is all that good when he's not in the lineup.  I suppose it depends on how/what he's replaced by.  

Rafferty had an amazing season...most players having a season like that get a chance in the bigs because they've proved what the can do in the league below. Rafferty has proven what he can do in the league below....24 year old making the bigs after a proven season like this one, not a big ask.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 9/27/2020 at 12:13 PM, Pete M said:

Rafferty had an amazing season...most players having a season like that get a chance in the bigs because they've proved what the can do in the league below. Rafferty has proven what he can do in the league below....24 year old making the bigs after a proven season like this one, not a big ask.

I hope for the Canucks sake that Rafferty turns out because he’s one of the few if not only RHD prospects we have in the organization. 

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I hope for the Canucks sake that Rafferty turns out because he’s one of the few if not only RHD prospects we have in the organization. 

IMO, Woo will be better long term. Hughes may also need to move to the right at some point.

On 9/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, Pete M said:

Stecher went from the NCAA and played 4 games in the AHL until injuries gave him an opportunity to prove himself in the lineup. Rafferty has at least played 57 games and put up 45 points. That's comparable to Jake Bean who played 59 games and put up 48 points. 

But Stecher gets the benefit of the doubt because he's a local boy. 

17 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, they don't have much in the pipeline as far as RD. Burke made a comment a while ago, something to the effect: it's very difficult and expensive to trade for a RD, they have to be drafted and developed. 

This is what they've got cookin'

Rafferty

Chatfield

Eliot

Woo

Not much, although, from what I understand, in addition to Hughes, Brisebois, Rathbone and Tryamkin can all play the right side.