The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, they don't have much in the pipeline as far as RD. Burke made a comment a while ago, something to the effect: it's very difficult and expensive to trade for a RD, they have to be drafted and developed. 

This is what they've got cookin'

Rafferty

Chatfield

Eliot

Woo

Not much, although, from what I understand, in addition to Hughes, Brisebois, Rathbone and Tryamkin can all play the right side.

Yeah that pipeline doesn’t look great to be fair. I can’t see Chatfield as more than depth defenseman. Rafferty to me and Woo are the highest wild cards. They could make it. But then again they could be complete busts and be depth players as well. We need more RHD in the pipeline if we are going to hit. The chances of these four that you’ve listed becoming a legit NHL player are unfortunately slim. 

2 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

Stecher went from the NCAA and played 4 games in the AHL until injuries gave him an opportunity to prove himself in the lineup. Rafferty has at least played 57 games and put up 45 points. That's comparable to Jake Bean who played 59 games and put up 48 points. 

But Stecher gets the benefit of the doubt because he's a local boy. 

Jake Bean is also just 22 compared to Rafferty who is 25. Three years is a lot of developmental time. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not much, although, from what I understand, in addition to Hughes, Brisebois, Rathbone and Tryamkin can all play the right side.

And IMO, this is likely what happens over the next few years barring a surprise prospect, UFA or trade filling a hole there.

Hughes, Myers, Tryamkin, Woo is far from horrible RD depth in a few years.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

And IMO, this is likely what happens over the next few years barring a surprise prospect, UFA or trade filling a hole there.

Hughes, Myers, Tryamkin, Woo is far from horrible RD depth in a few years.

If I'm GM I'd make a move for Haydn Fleury from Carolina.  Below full potential but played well as a depth guy.  Could see him probably slide up to top-4 in a pinch as needed and can play both sides.

20 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If I'm GM I'd make a move for Haydn Fleury from Carolina.  Below full potential but played well as a depth guy.  Could see him probably slide up to top-4 in a pinch as needed and can play both sides.

Jake + a late pick?  Very comparable players, with Fleury playing the more valuable position.

19 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

It will be interesting to see if Benning can add anyone on D who's an ED protection issue and/or any of the guys being talked about as potential unqualified RFA's and teams needing to clear cap etc.

Going to be a fun couple years!

• 2 weeks later...

No pressure on him, just needs to be confident with his own game and go out and play. 

He doesn't have to be Tanev nor Stecher, he needs to be Rafferty...if you know what I mean.

Edited by Pete M

On 10/10/2020 at 9:24 AM, Googlie said:

Here is his own take on his game (from Canucks Army article earlier this year).....

“I think my age helps me. I’m not a 18-19 year old kid. On and off the ice, I think I can handle it more than your typical 18-19 year old rookie. Physically, I think I’m there. Obviously there’s some things everyone needs to work on all the time for overall strength. But I don’t have to add 10 to 15 pounds of muscle like a lot of rookies have to do. I think I’m as ready as I can be right now.”

There’s probably a reason that they wanted me to stay down in Utica. To play games and keep getting more confident. There’s no animosity on any of those decisions that were made. I was just really happy for the guys who got called up to have the opportunity to play. I wasn’t upset about any of those moves. I was just staying patient in Utica and just kind of working hard and hoping that my time would come eventually.”

“I’m not the fastest player, that’s kind of why I switched to defence when I was a teenager. When I get a head of steam I can use my agility and my creativeness to open up space for other players and create plays.  Whatever causes me a lot of stress or confusion on the ice I try to do to the other team. That’s something that I like to do. Cause some confusion when we’re in the offensive zone.”

“When I make a pass to someone I want to put them in the best situation that they can be in with the puck. If I see someone with open ice and I know that they will have time with the puck on their stick, [a pass] will put them in a better situation to make the next play. I’ll make that play 90% of the time.”

“So, I think part of the reason why some people may look at my defensive game as a liability is because there’s really no room for that argument on the offensive side of my game this year. They don’t have an argument for the offensive side so they try to find something on the defensive side that they don’t like. I think I’m a well-rounded defenceman and I take pride in my defensive game. I continue to work on it every year and I think every season that goes by I’ve adjusted, watched video, asked the coaching staff and other players what I need to do to get better on the defensive side of the puck. Every year I see progression so I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing.”

“Usually when our team is changing, the other team is changing too. I like to occasionally carry the puck up ice. I think that’s also one of the strengths that I have. I don’t want the other team to get set up in their forecheck. I’d rather have the puck in their end instead of having to break the puck out in my own end, so that’s kind of the philosophy in my mind behind that. I think that’s kind of the flow of the game nowadays.”

“Being physical all the time as a defenceman is a hard job to do and for me, I kind of made the adjustment that if I wanted to remain healthy for the entire season I needed to be smarter defensively and not always go for the big hit, or try to get into the mix in the corners. I was using my stick and being in the right position to intercept passes instead of like blowing up guys with hits. As long as the puck ends up on your stick it doesn’t matter how you do it from my point of view.”

“I can get physical if I want to and the time is right. It’s kind of a thing where you have to balance out how physical you want to be with how smart you want to be. I could be a little bit meaner around the paint in our zone. But that’s something I’ve noticed on video and that I talked with the staff in Utica about just improving my game in the aspect. I think I have a pretty good sense of where to be in certain situations on the ice so I don’t really need the physicality as much as some other defencemen rely on.”

Obviously I want to make the team. I think that anything less than making the [Canucks] out of camp would be a disappointment to me. I don’t like to blame others for my failures or letdowns so if I don’t make the team out of camp, it’s gonna be my fault. But yeah, that’s my goal, show up and work hard and keep working towards being in the lineup more often and just kind of go from there.”

here's the link to the complete article:

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/05/11/raff

That's the character I would love to have on my team.

Edited by CanucksForever2
  • Cheers 4

Hoping nux pick up someone like Cernak to be 2nd pairing RD.  Then Rafferty and Chatfield can duke it out for 3rd pairing RD while Juolevi and Rathbone battle for a spot on the left.  I don't mind a couple young guys making it.  Give them a chance to blossom this year with some sheltered minutes on the big club.

Our real window starts in a year or  two when all the crap contracts penalties etc are gone.  So a year of development for a couple of the young d this year is great for the future.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I love reading that from Brogan. 
That’s what people need to recognize. Rafferty was not kept in the minors because he was seen as some huge defensive liability or because the organization doesn’t see a future for him here. They just wanted to develop the guy without rushing him.

I’m not even convinced he’s not an immediate upgrade on Stecher at 6’3 with far better puckskills.
Seeing Rathbone, Juolevi, and Rafferty competing for spots at camp will be awesome. I wouldn’t even pursue an FA like Vatanen. Aim higher for a big shutdown D via trade and let the kids duke it out for spots.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1