The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Impressive gains by Rafferty. Hopefully not at any cost to his mobility. Ten pounds of muscle is a lot to add to a player’s frame, especially at age 25, and over just a few months. But if he’s gotten a lot stronger, and hasn’t sacrificed any aspect of his skating or endurance/conditioning, this would bode well for his chances to earn a spot. As would focusing on his defence and making himself an asset to the PK, especially after Tanev’s departure.

Rafferty strikes me as a highly motivated player who understands where the opportunities lie on this D corps, and what he needs to do to compete for a spot. I hope he impresses at camp and plays his way into that 3RHD slot.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

How did he do tonight? 

Looked nervous to start and easily manhandled but settled as the game went on. 

he should get a few more games with the injuries so hopefully he can show us what he’s got in that time

Edited by bbllpp
Brains too fast for my thumb

He may be OK, had a pretty bad game overall.  Certainly worse than Chatfield’s debut game.

I said months ago that we need to pump the brakes on expectations for this guy.  He is an older player who had a great AHL season, he isn’t a 19 year old prospect with a bunch of upside.  He would have actually been a good trade chip to help ditch dead cap space in the offseason.

We don’t really have any top 4 D in the pipeline coming soon.  Maybe Rathbone eventually, but that is a ways off.  The rest of the guys we are hoping they reach the heights of 6-8th D who can actually play meaningful minutes for us.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

He may be OK, had a pretty bad game overall.  Certainly worse than Chatfield’s debut game.

I said months ago that we need to pump the brakes on expectations for this guy.  He is an older player who had a great AHL season, he isn’t a 19 year old prospect with a bunch of upside.  He would have actually been a good trade chip to help ditch dead cap space in the offseason.

We don’t really have any top 4 D in the pipeline coming soon.  Maybe Rathbone eventually, but that is a ways off.  The rest of the guys we are hoping they reach the heights of 6-8th D who can actually play meaningful minutes for us.

Yeah I've put off expectations for Rafferty because of his age as well. We've had plenty of good mid 20's AHLers who became nothing in the NHL over the past decade. However, I will give him a few more games before deciding how I feel about his play.

Also, Rathbone may be less far away than you think. He's legit. Wouldn't be surprised if he's full time by next season.

Like others have observed, Rafferty looked a bit jittery to start and it didn't help that he directly contributed to the first goal against.  He looked more steady as the game went on but since nearly the whole team played pretty poorly, it's hard to really determine if Rafferty was that bad.  Since it looks like Rafferty will have to remain in the line-up, I guess we'll get our opportunity to get a better sense of whether he can be a full time NHLer.

IMHO, Rafferty looks like he really needs a strong stay at home D partner to have any success at the NHL level.  If Edler was healthy, then he might not have been a bad option to serve as a steady D partner for Rafferty.  With the injuries that the Canucks have had to Edler and Hamonic, there really aren't that many candidates remaining except for Benn, Brisebois and Sautner (who's not on the taxi squad at the moment).

On 12/17/2020 at 7:32 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Impressive gains by Rafferty. Hopefully not at any cost to his mobility. Ten pounds of muscle is a lot to add to a player’s frame, especially at age 25, and over just a few months. But if he’s gotten a lot stronger, and hasn’t sacrificed any aspect of his skating or endurance/conditioning, this would bode well for his chances to earn a spot. As would focusing on his defence and making himself an asset to the PK, especially after Tanev’s departure.

Rafferty strikes me as a highly motivated player who understands where the opportunities lie on this D corps, and what he needs to do to compete for a spot. I hope he impresses at camp and plays his way into that 3RHD slot.

Will still depend on the staff how much opportunities he gets.

I was surprised how easily Toffoli got the better of him when he's only listed as 2 lb. heavier and boxed him out on one of the goals last night.  After seeing Brock manhandle him I was hoping to see that he could have gained strength but guess that's not the case.  Haven't personally seen Chatfield play much but if he's a better defender I'd hope Jalen would play more when healthy. 

Rafferty would have to play in an offensive role and get some PP time to truly be effective as an NHL'er. Unfortunately for him, with Hughes and Schmidt both on the roster, that's not going to happen for him here.  I just hope that Benning realizes  he needs to trade him this year, before he loses all the value he accrued from his outstanding rookie season in the A.

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

So is Rafferty and RFA this off season or a group 6 UFA - I’ve seen him listed as both?

He's a UFA.  

If a skater is 25, has 3 pro-seasons under an NHL contract and has less than 80 NHL games, he becomes a so-called group 6 UFA.  Rafferty and Chatfield meet the 3 conditions and are therefore UFAs.  CapFriendly also has Bailey and Teves. 

It feels like the Canucks are going to let Rafferty walk. Even with the Canucks weak right side, he couldn't crack the lineup. It's a shame because he absolutely dominated the AHL offensively in his first season with the Comets. He'll be a good depth signing for the right savvy team. He does have some defensive gaps that need to be addressed.

Of the group 6 UFAs the Canucks have, I suspect they'll re-sign Justin Bailey and Jalen Chatfield and let Rafferty and Teves walk.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

He’s not dynamic enough offensively to make up for a weak defensive game.

He was always likely going to be a farm call up and nothing more.

His ceiling has always been something along the lines of a 'Yanik Weber', complimentary/depth #6-7 D that can play PP2.

He may even still get there... but this premise that he's a hard done by, top 4 guy, who just hasn't been given his shot... :unsure:

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

His ceiling has always been something along the lines of a 'Yanik Weber', complimentary/depth #6-7 D that can play PP2.

He may even still get there... but this premise that he's a hard done by, top 4 guy, who just hasn't been given his shot... :unsure:

last off season it was keep rafferty and not rathbone , rathbone is just a NCAA hack, hmm 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Cheers 1

I haven't been a fan of Baumgartner, but since Hughes has said something good about him, I'll defer to his opinion. Maybe a good defensive coach will unlock the potential of some of these young players.

Not sure where Chatfield stands in our organization. He doesn't look ready at times, but he's a RHD if I recall. As for Rafferty, I don't think the Canucks will offer him anything.

Edited by Dazzle

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I haven't been a fan of Baumgartner, but since Hughes has said something good about him, I'll defer to his opinion. Maybe a good defensive coach will unlock the potential of some of these young players.

Not sure where Chatfield stands in our organization. He doesn't look ready at times, but he's a RHD if I recall. As for Rafferty, I don't think the Canucks will offer him anything.

Yeah. I think Rafferty is probably going elsewhere for NHL opportunity. Even if he wants to come back to the Canucks, do the Canucks want him back? 

• Cheers 1