The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

5 hours ago, Quantum said:

I'm going to say it now... Brogan Rafferty is my stealth candidate to make the Canucks roster out of training camp next Fall. I really like his game.

I really like his game, too.  More and more confidence and control with each period he played.  He looks like a guy ready to play in this league - the next step is can he make the team in October, and then then can he still be effective after a tour of the league and the adjustment teams make after he has been scouted against NHL competition.

6 hours ago, xereau said:

Say Hutton gets moved.  Rafferty looks a LOT like he did a few seasons ago.

Hutton is due for a big raise too. Taking a chance on Rafferty and shipping Hutton out for some picks would be ideal. You get slightly younger and cheaper. Would be a win. Hutton is a great guy and a solid NHLer but this d core cannot be brought back... One (if not two) of Hutton, Tanev, Edler, and Biega can't be brought back. 

Also, Rafferty is older so he should be more physically mature to jump in. 

I'm more worried about Teves. I definitely see Teves logging big minutes in Utica to start next year. Juolevi is a wild card. He should be ready to debut in the NHL but also his injury history makes me wary.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Hutton is due for a big raise too. Taking a chance on Rafferty and shipping Hutton out for some picks would be ideal. You get slightly younger and cheaper. Would be a win. Hutton is a great guy and a solid NHLer but this d core cannot be brought back... One (if not two) of Hutton, Tanev, Edler, and Biega can't be brought back. 

Also, Rafferty is older so he should be more physically mature to jump in. 

I'm more worried about Teves. I definitely see Teves logging big minutes in Utica to start next year. Juolevi is a wild card. He should be ready to debut in the NHL but also his injury history makes me wary.

I don't think that Hutton can expect a big raise. He was given a generous contract. Last year, JB's contract took a lot of flack, as BH flopped. This year, things were greatly improved, but his contract would fall into the 'fair' zone rather than a massive under payment.

Rafferty looked great. For no practices, I am impressed. Look forward to next training camp.

Teves looked out of his depth and appeared to be very 'slight' ( listed @ 170lbs ). At 24/25, don't know if he can improve on that too much.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I don't think that Hutton can expect a big raise. He was given a generous contract. Last year, JB's contract took a lot of flack, as BH flopped. This year, things were greatly improved, but his contract would fall into the 'fair' zone rather than a massive under payment.

Rafferty looked great. For no practices, I am impressed. Look forward to next training camp.

Teves looked out of his depth and appeared to be very 'slight' ( listed @ 170lbs ). At 24/25, don't know if he can improve on that too much.

Glad to hear that Rafferty played well and didn't look out of place (I missed the broadcasts of the last two games, although I caught the Nashville game on the radio) so didn't get a chance to really see how he did. Agree about Teves he really looked overwhelmed and I will not be suprised to see him sent to Utica early into camp next year...he might not ever be more than AHL depth...

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Remember though he is a RHS, so not really a direct replacement.  He has a better chance to be in the picture because of that alone, especially with Tanev's injury history and pending UFA status next year.  Likely RHD pecking order as of now:

Tanev

Stecher

Schenn

Rafferty

Biega

Chatfield

Woo

Eliot

Exactly, and with Tanev being a UFA one would have to expect Benning to sign a UFA D this offseason. Personal preference to Myers. Would be really nice to get another free agent D this offseason like Kaski or Priskie. Or/and draft Soderstrom. Imagine going into next year with a RD corps like

Tanev      and ending with Myers

Myers                                Stecher

Stecher                              Rafferty

Schenn                              Kaski

Rafferty showed some flair and I enjoyed that. The big question for a defenseman is can he play ..... defense.  I tend to think he'll look good but will maybe get the Stecher treatment always assuming that JB does not dip into FA for a RHD this summer. Much of his opportunity may be out of his hands

41 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Exactly, and with Tanev being a UFA one would have to expect Benning to sign a UFA D this offseason. Personal preference to Myers. Would be really nice to get another free agent D this offseason like Kaski or Priskie. Or/and draft Soderstrom. Imagine going into next year with a RD corps like

Tanev      and ending with Myers

Myers                                Stecher

Stecher                              Rafferty

Schenn                              Kaski

How did Quinn do on the right side?  I thought that Green said he was going to try him on the right side.  I know JR is a left side dman but I think he is going to be a great defense men.  I would not be surprise to see him turning pro in a year.  With his skill set and the way he has put muscle on (also he is 5' 11") he is going to be a player

11 hours ago, dpn1 said:

How did Quinn do on the right side?  I thought that Green said he was going to try him on the right side.  I know JR is a left side dman but I think he is going to be a great defense men.  I would not be surprise to see him turning pro in a year.  With his skill set and the way he has put muscle on (also he is 5' 11") he is going to be a player

Quinn only had a couple of shifts on the right side, but he looked comfortable there - his skating and intelligence help a lot with that. We have a couple of other lefties in he organization that are comfortable on either side Tryamkin (who remains a slight possibility for next year, and Rathbone, who is at least a year away.

If the left shooting D’s are all available next year, it could be interesting: Hughes, Edler, Hutton, with either of Sautner or Brisebois as depth.  If either or both of Juolevi or Tryamkin are available and Juolevi is ready, it would leave us a decent asset to move in Hutton. Right side is the question mark, I think we have to move Tanev (it’s a shame he hasn’t stayed healthy) - but it’s problematic to keep both him and Edler with the number of games they have missed in the past. If we move Tanev, that leaves us Stetcher and a lot of question marks: Schenn, Biega, will Tryamkin return, or is Rafferty good enough?  Or we could sign a right side free agent of some quality perhaps.  Suggestions?

23 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Exactly, and with Tanev being a UFA one would have to expect Benning to sign a UFA D this offseason.

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If we move Tanev, that leaves us Stetcher and a lot of question marks: Schenn, Biega, will Tryamkin return, or is Rafferty good enough?  Or we could sign a right side free agent of some quality perhaps.  Suggestions?

I'd prefer a trade for a RD (which the aforementioned Hutton could be a part of). See if we can sign Stralman for depth and then move Tanev.

On April 7, 2019 at 7:39 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Remember though he is a RHS, so not really a direct replacement.  He has a better chance to be in the picture because of that alone, especially with Tanev's injury history and pending UFA status next year.  Likely RHD pecking order as of now:

Tanev

Stecher

Schenn

Rafferty

Biega

Chatfield

Woo

Eliot

You forgot Juolevi who will be a # 4 D man very soon...If he never got hurt he would of played last 35 games in Vancouver...

Everyone forgets Juolevi is only 20years old ??? This kids is going to be a very very good Canuck for many years....

He will be a # 2 D man by age 23....

He had 13 points in 17 GP that is very good and playing  22 mins per game IN UTICA

LETS NOT FORGET JUOLEVI !!!!!!!!  ONLY 20 YEARS OLD, HAD A GREAT 17 GAMES IN UTICA BEFORE INJURY......

Edited by wildcam

18 minutes ago, wildcam said:

You forgot Juolevi who will be a # 4 D man very soon...If he never got hurt he would of played last 35 games in Vancouver...

Everyone forgets Juolevi is only 20years old ??? This kids is going to be a very very good Canuck for many years....

He will be a # 2 D man by age 23....

He had 13 points in 17 GP that is very good and playing  22 mins per game IN UTICA

LETS NOT FORGET JUOLEVI !!!!!!!!  ONLY 20 YEARS OLD, HAD A GREAT 17 GAMES IN UTICA BEFORE INJURY......

He's talking about RHD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...