The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

Chatfield and Rafferty.  Canucks fans cursing at Benning to upgrade the D but some people want to bring back these 2 guys who are AHL caliber at best.

I think we need to move on from the Rafferty's and Chatfield's of the world and tell Benning to go get some real NHL defencemen with some beef and girth...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chatfield and Rafferty.  Canucks fans cursing at Benning to upgrade the D but some people want to bring back these 2 guys who are AHL caliber at best.

I think we need to move on from the Rafferty's and Chatfield's of the world and tell Benning to go get some real NHL defencemen with some beef and girth...

I'm not sure anyone is excited about Chatfield. He got a solid chance and proved he's not NHL-calibre, at least not yet.

Rafferty didn't get much of a shot at the NHL level. Odds are he wouldn't have been amazing anyway, but I would've at least like to see him get 5 games or something.

Regardless, if he's gone, I won't lose sleep over it. He wasn't likely to be a top 4 guy or anything.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I have zero issue with continuing to develop Chatfield in to a #7-8 'Biega-like' D. You need those guys too (as unexciting as it may be).

With Hughes, Schmidt and Rathbone ahead of Rafferty however, we just don't have a need for his skill set/that role.

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I have zero issue with continuing to develop Chatfield in to a #7-8 'Biega-like' D. You need those guys too (as unexciting as it may be).

With Hughes, Schmidt and Rathbone ahead of Rafferty however, we just don't have a need for his skill set/that role.

Chatfield will be fine as a callup from Abbotsford.  We do need some depth down there for sure.  Rafferty I think is going to Europe.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chatfield will be fine as a callup from Abbotsford.  We do need some depth down there for sure.  Rafferty I think is going to Europe.

Personally, I feel that unless Chatfield improves, he's not good enough to be an NHL callup. He's an AHL guy who really struggles in the NHL. He do anything offensively last year and he struggled defensively too, even with sheltered minutes. I'll be happy to keep him, but he should stay in Abbotsford until he shows noted improvement. He's a #8/9 guy right now IMO and we should choose other options for our #7 guy.

50 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I feel that unless Chatfield improves, he's not good enough to be an NHL callup. He's an AHL guy who really struggles in the NHL. He do anything offensively last year and he struggled defensively too, even with sheltered minutes. I'll be happy to keep him, but he should stay in Abbotsford until he shows noted improvement. He's a #8/9 guy right now IMO and we should choose other options for our #7 guy.

Madison Bowey will be our #7 D.  He will be with the big club next year.  Chatfield will be in Abbotsford with Woo, Brisebois and maybe Sautner and Teves.  Bowey is a RHD so unless he gets injured we probably don't see Chatfield.  It also depends on the development of Woo.  He is also a RHD so he could be called up before Chatfield.  

Chatfield is also a UFA like Sautner and Teves so it's possible none of them even return.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Madison Bowey will be our #7 D.  He will be with the big club next year.  Chatfield will be in Abbotsford with Woo, Brisebois and maybe Sautner and Teves.  Bowey is a RHD so unless he gets injured we probably don't see Chatfield.  It also depends on the development of Woo.  He is also a RHD so he could be called up before Chatfield.  

Chatfield is also a UFA like Sautner and Teves so it's possible none of them even return.

I agree, I think Bowey should get a look as the #7 if he isn't taken in the ED. I think Chatfield might leave as a UFA, but I would be okay to re-signing him--I think he's probably very solid in the AHL and I'd look forward to him on Abbotsford's team. I just don't think he's NHL material--at least not yet.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Rafferty isn’t the guy we need, we have Hughes, so where does Rafferty fit as the free wheeling offensive d man with Hughes ahead of him?  Rathbone ahead of him?  Bowey wasn’t an accident, he is a reclamation project, but IMO JB has always wanted this D man and is taking him for a test drive.  Bowey took Rafferty’s spot.  Only room for one RHD with questionable NHL ability.  Bowey has some size and has NHL experience. We either need to find a way to give the Kraken Miller, re allocate his money towards another FA d man or use that cap to trade for one.  

if not JB needs to either hope that Bowey fits in Vancouver, at least 420 is legal, lol to Boweys past issues.. no Jake.  Lol and scour the FA and College bargain bins for depth d men.  

Affordable ones.  

As many as he can find.  

I don’t believe the summer hype train media storms over AHL depth d men being lost via FA or Waivers.  Has one ever been our Neely?  No.  Not many cast off d men make it back.  

If anything, this club in particular excels by accident in finding late round gem d men, Bieksa, Edler, Tanev.  Rathbone is on track to be the next late round steal.  OJ is potentially our next flop, I am not in that camp, but in OJ’s case, he isn’t likely too party his way out of the line up.  IE, his issue is his left pivot and reaction reads at times one vs one, growing, learning and practice can hopefully correct those weaknesses or mitigate them.  

We have a need for D men and centers at the draft.  But a 26 y/o offensive AHL d man, I have been sold that bridge before, not going to buy it this time of year, not again.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1

On 7/4/2021 at 3:04 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Rafferty isn’t the guy we need, we have Hughes, so where does Rafferty fit as the free wheeling offensive d man with Hughes ahead of him?  Rathbone ahead of him?  Bowey wasn’t an accident, he is a reclamation project, but IMO JB has always wanted this D man and is taking him for a test drive.  Bowey took Rafferty’s spot.  Only room for one RHD with questionable NHL ability.  Bowey has some size and has NHL experience. We either need to find a way to give the Kraken Miller, re allocate his money towards another FA d man or use that cap to trade for one.  

if not JB needs to either hope that Bowey fits in Vancouver, at least 420 is legal, lol to Boweys past issues.. no Jake.  Lol and scour the FA and College bargain bins for depth d men.  

Affordable ones.  

As many as he can find.  

I don’t believe the summer hype train media storms over AHL depth d men being lost via FA or Waivers.  Has one ever been our Neely?  No.  Not many cast off d men make it back.  

If anything, this club in particular excels by accident in finding late round gem d men, Bieksa, Edler, Tanev.  Rathbone is on track to be the next late round steal.  OJ is potentially our next flop, I am not in that camp, but in OJ’s case, he isn’t likely too party his way out of the line up.  IE, his issue is his left pivot and reaction reads at times one vs one, growing, learning and practice can hopefully correct those weaknesses or mitigate them.  

We have a need for D men and centers at the draft.  But a 26 y/o offensive AHL d man, I have been sold that bridge before, not going to buy it this time of year, not again.  

I think Boweyy could be  great at # 6....Could be exciting 6'2, 205, RD - 

On 7/4/2021 at 3:04 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Bowey wasn’t an accident, he is a reclamation project, but IMO JB has always wanted this D man and is taking him for a test drive.  

Bowey was acquired because we had to expose in the ED a defenceman under contract who had played at least 27 NHL games this last season or 54 these last 2 seasons. Without him we'd have to make available one of Myers, Schmidt or Juolevi.  He is more than likely Abbotsford bound, if not claimed by Seattle.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rafferty could be a nice trading chip because he really has no spot with our team. Hughes and Rathbone are enough PMD for this D, we need big, tough defensive defencemen to complement them.

Lots of teams want young prospective puck movers, Rafferty fits that bill. I wonder if he'd be enough (plus a 2nd round pick) for a defenceman coming back (Risto, Zadorov etc)?

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Rafferty could be a nice trading chip because he really has no spot with our team. Hughes and Rathbone are enough PMD for this D, we need big, tough defensive defencemen to complement them.

Lots of teams want young prospective puck movers, Rafferty fits that bill. I wonder if he'd be enough (plus a 2nd round pick) for a defenceman coming back (Risto, Zadorov etc)?

I think he's a pending UFA (group 6, whatever that means), so I'm not sure if we have any sort of value there.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He’s a UFA so only value we will get would be for his rights prior to the opening of free agency 

Regrettably, I dont see any of our young UFA D-men resigning with us (Sautner, Chatfield, Teves, Rafferty). Why would they? Green isn't going to play them, and some other teams have more enticing bench gates to open and close.

I don't know what the status is of Mitch Eliot.  Capfriendly has him as a 10.2(c) ..... ineligible for an offer sheet ... so is he in effect a UFA?

Abbotsford is going to be a bit porous on defense. 

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Capfriendly has him as a 10.2(c) ....

Eliot is an RFA and not subject to an offer sheet (not that that would happen). The question is ... Will he be qualified? I see a number of players that may not be qualified on the Canuck / Abby rosters....... RFA's that need to be qualified..... Hughes, Pettersson, Dickinson and Olli (a no brainer that they will be qualified); Michealis and Hawryluk are questionable, IMO, due to high AHL salaries and Waiver issues; Jasek, Brisebois, Kielly and Eliot are likely going to be qualified (Jasek, in order to retain his rights)(Kielly to provide added goal tending depth). The only one that comes to mind that for sure will not be qualified is Petrus Palmu.

17 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Rafferty is worth zero.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Has signed a 1 year one way contract with Annaheim for $750,000

Good luck Brogan.

I will always wonder how and why Vancouver decided he wasn't an NHL player so quickly following one game in the league this year. I think he was on the taxi squad, so what happened? Anybody?

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I will always wonder how and why Vancouver decided he wasn't an NHL player so quickly following one game in the league this year. I think he was on the taxi squad, so what happened? Anybody?

I'd guess based on AHL reports from Cull and co., but I'm not sure. I was also very confused as to why Baertschi was never given a fair chance back in the NHL, but sometimes these puzzling decisions are made. We'll see how both Rafferty and Baertschi play with their respective new teams.