The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

• 2 months later...

Ducks taking a long look at BR - with 21.06 he led all skaters in icetime in tonight's game.  QB'd the power play in 3 attempts and was also used in one PK shift.

I was unhappy that JB didn't qualify him, he sure would look good on our roster right now!!

On 10/2/2021 at 11:45 PM, Googlie said:

Ducks taking a long look at BR - with 21.06 he led all skaters in icetime in tonight's game.  QB'd the power play in 3 attempts and was also used in one PK shift.

I was unhappy that JB didn't qualify him, he sure would look good on our roster right now!!

Good to see that he is being given a chance at an NHL career.

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am aware of that but because they signed him to an AHL contract, he still has a chance to refine his game and improve his skating in hopes of eventually getting an NHL entry level contract.

So in effect his rights still belong to the Canucks.

Did Abbotsford sign him? I don't think either Vancouver or Abbotsford has signed him.

• 1 year later...

Going to see him play in the Firebirds last regular season home game on Wednesday.   He is having a good year ... 9 goals and 42 assists in 69 games, and is a +29

Edited by Googlie

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Had a really strong game last night in the Firebirds series-clinching 6-5 O/T win over Calgary. Led the team with 5 shots on goal, had 2 assists and was a plus 1 in almost 30 mins of ice time

He is having a great season but obviously the Canucks projected that he was only going to be a good AHL D-man and would have difficulty with the faster pace in the NHL. Has not seen any NHL time while with Seattle same with Kole Lind. He got a taste of the NHL while with Vancouver but yet to with Seattle. Kole still has some time on his side and may make the Kraken next year. As for Brogan; he is likely only ever going to be an AHL'er

• Cheers 1

Lind did get 23 games with the big club in their inaugural season (2g, 6a) but Seattle felt that he needed to find his scoring touch.   Got 17 in 46 games with their shared affiliation with Florida and really came to his own this winter (played in every gane  - 72) and finished with 30g and 32 assists.  Has been a beast post season with 7 goals and 10 assists in 13 playoff games so far

I agree with you re Rafferty ... there are some classic hilite clips from his Utica days and I had high hopes for him, but like Di Pietro, I think the inactivity in the taxi squad in the bubble season killed any progression he was seeing. He couldn't crack a weak Anaheim team last season, so had little chance of doing so with a much stronger Kraken defense squad this season.  Unless the coach is willing to live with the inevitable rookie mistakes, and give him ice time, a career will atrophy quickly.  I hope this doesn't happen to Wolanin.   (I remember the bubble series against Vegas .. their Whitecloud was a bit of a stumbler/bumbler that series, notable mainly for his head over heels into the bench while trying to make a hit, than for any play he made.  Now he is a stalwart on their defense)

• 2 weeks later...

Down 1 - 0, Rafferty gets his first of the playoffs to pace Firebirds to a 2-1 win to go up 3 to 2 in the AHL Western Conference finals

Next 2 games (if 2 are needed) will be in Palm Desert

Hershey Bears await the winner

Edited by Googlie
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Down 1 - 0, Rafferty gets his first of the playoffs to pace Firebirds to a 2-1 win to go up 3 to 2 in the AHL Western Conference finals

Next 2 games (if 2 are needed) will be in Palm Desert

Hershey Bears await the winner

Who and what? :lol:

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Who and what? :lol:

He had a good regular season with the Kraken farm team ... 9 goals and 42 assists in playing every game (72) and finished a +28

Top RHD for the team, plays in every situation.   Kraken have depth at right D, so he can't crack the big team,  but he'd look good in a Canucks sweater right now.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

He had a good regular season with the Kraken farm team ... 9 goals and 42 assists in playing every game (72) and finished a +28

Top RHD for the team, plays in every situation.   Kraken have depth at right D, so he can't crack the big team,  but he'd look good in a Canucks sweater right now.

Wolanin is far superior to Rafferty, though he is a LHD, so maybe that would be a difference maker.

13 hours ago, Googlie said:

Yeah I liked Rafferty, maybe tried to do too much but the term develpment was foreign at that juncture of the team, still looking for pink elephant ( ready made player ) rather than going the develpoment route eg Forsling along with Rafferty. When i  watch Brisebois he has develped IMO to a stage where he's a genuine #7 player for a very cheap cost. It took time and that's mostly free.

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Rafferty will just be a good defenseman in the AHL and that's about it. He was a deer caught in the headlights during his stint with the Canucks.

That's true but is that not a result of lack of confidence and develpment. A deer caught in the head lights you need to ask yourself why after a stellar season in the NCAA