The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This guy looks like a potential 'diamond in the rough' to me.

Not that I think he'll be any kind of superstar, or even a top 4D, but looks like a guy who can play a regular shift.

He's had his poor moments this pre-season, but also good moments, & those combined with a strong showing at the end of last year.... I think he's on track to the NHL atleast. 

He'll play games this season & I'm excited to see where his development goes. If he's on our roster as a #5-6 in a year or two, that's a big success. 

He’s a full grown man and almost 25.  How much more can he improve?  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s a full grown man and almost 25.  How much more can he improve?  

Well he can become a refined NHLer. Maybe one that can help a winning team.

Like I said not expecting him to be a star or top 4D but he could become a good player that fills a bottom pair role well. Just being an NHLer is any role is hard. Getting a legit player out of a FA signing is big. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well he can become a refined NHLer. Maybe one that can help a winning team.

Like I said not expecting him to be a star or top 4D but he could become a good player that fills a bottom pair role well. Just being an NHLer is any role is hard. Getting a legit player out of a FA signing is big. 

Yup, he came free.  Totally agree that’s good.  

• Cheers 1

Rafferty continues to make a case for himself.  He's made a few mistakes in game, but seems to be getting better day by day.  Even if he doesn't get a spot out of camp, he's marching up the depth chart quite nicely.  He can move the puck, has a good shot and plays well in his own end.  Lots of effort and no quit.  I like it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see him start the year with us. Benninghas always rewarded guys for their good play and will make the room if need be. I think he's almost a lock at this point

Does him little good sitting in the press box here over a guy like Biega or Fantenburg. He needs to, and will, play a tonne in Utica. 

He (along with the likes of Brisbois, Sautner etc) might make it easier to move Tanev sooner than later though.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Does him little good sitting in the press box here over a guy like Biega or Fantenburg. He needs to and will play a tonne in Utica. 

He (along with the likes of Brisbois, Sautner etc) might make it easier to move Tanev sooner than later though.

Nice to see professionals refer to the d as a tough one to make for a change.

Having players worth an extended look being sent down is having our cake and eating it too

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Rafferty should play with Utica in a top-role to show just how well he can do.  He's probably a better overall player than Biega or Fantenberg are right now but that alone shouldn't determine if he makes the NHL team.  He's not super young but if he's going to make hay in the NHL, then he should get a chance to develop and show that he's at least a guy who clearly doesn't belong in the AHL.

I agree with those that might see him as a potential successor to Tanev.  It makes the most sense.  Tanev is in the final year of his contract so we're either trading him by this deadline or we're keeping him for a run with a good chance of losing or walking away from him in UFA.  Who knows, maybe he'll sign with the Leafs next summer with whatever cap space they'll have.

As others have already pointed out, if succeeding Tanev is the plan for Rafferty, then it makes way more sense to let him marinate in the AHL in the one year he will remain waiver exempt while keeping him as the first call-up.  I can't see the Canucks being confident in trading Tanev now based on Rafferty's performance so far, so this seems to make the most sense. 

Will be nice to see if Rafferty (and Teves for that matter) can make the jump in the near future.  Have to give credit to GMJB and the management team.  This is the most genuine depth for the Canucks that I can recall seeing in a long time.

28 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Virtanen's only a year younger. Is he done improving?

Maybe they are both what they are right now, and not much more?  How may guys, not goalies, make huge strides in their physical gifts after age 25?  Yes, guys improve their mental understanding of the game, but physically, 25 is pretty much the peak of those skills, no?  Rafferty is not going to get any stronger, or quicker, or faster than he is right now.  He's already a very good thinker of the game.  Jake (on the other hand) will definitely mature how he thinks the game.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe they are both what they are right now, and not much more?  How may guys, not goalies, make huge strides in their physical gifts after age 25?  Yes, guys improve their mental understanding of the game, but physically, 25 is pretty much the peak of those skills, no?  Rafferty is not going to get any stronger, or quicker, or faster than he is right now.  He's already a very good thinker of the game.  Jake (on the other hand) will definitely mature how he thinks the game.  

Defensemen can be pretty unpredictable though. In recent times we've seen a number of defensemen take their games to new levels as late as their late 30's. Hell, our own Alex Edler had the best season he's had in years. Even a lesser known defenseman like Alex Biega was able to crush his previous offensive totals this last season. At this point, I really don't think capping defensemen because they've hit a certain age is something that anyone can do with any level of certainty. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Defensemen can be pretty unpredictable though. In recent times we've seen a number of defensemen take their games to new levels as late as their late 30's. Hell, our own Alex Edler had the best season he's had in years. Even a lesser known defenseman like Alex Biega was able to crush his previous offensive totals this last season. At this point, I really don't think capping defensemen because they've hit a certain age is something that anyone can do with any level of certainty. 

Accepted.  I was just thinking of Gio in Calgary too, who is the most recent Norris winner.  

Utica could have a very good team this year.

Goldobin - Gaudette - Lind

Boucher - Graovac - Jasek

Perron - Hamilton - MacEwen

Gadjovich - Arseneau - Bailey

Juolevi - Biega

Brisebois - Rafferty

Sautner - Chatfield

Teves - Eliot

Bachman/McIntyre

DiPietro/Kielly

;)

• Like 1