The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Kielly | G

GoldenAlien

The Canucks need to start investing more into their ECHL system and developing prospects from that level too.

From what I recall, the Kalamazoo Wings don't have a goaltending coach and we dont know how much Sanford, Johnson, and Higgins visit.  I remember reading Michael Gartieg's (Former Canuck prospect) article saying that it was difficult to work on his game when there wasn't much mentorship when he was in the ECHL.  Jake Kielly was a highly touted guy coming out of the NCAA.  Not saying he would be this NHL stud but I think the Canucks need to start devoting more resources to helping use the ECHL as another avenue to the AHL and NHL.

Toronto already uses the Growlers as a developmental place, its no wonder why the Marlies do so well with lots of injection year after year from their ECHL affiliate. 

2 hours ago, CR7 said:

The NHL and Government had a deal worked out to avoid 14 day quarantine. Kielly would have had 4 tests in 4 day, if all tests came back negative he would have been able to join the full team 

Yeah, which also fits with the timeline. Kielly, IIRC, was recalled on Sept 4, which would have been about 4 days after they’d made a decision on Marky being unfit to play.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The Canucks need to start investing more into their ECHL system and developing prospects from that level too.

From what I recall, the Kalamazoo Wings don't have a goaltending coach and we dont know how much Sanford, Johnson, and Higgins visit.  I remember reading Michael Gartieg's (Former Canuck prospect) article saying that it was difficult to work on his game when there wasn't much mentorship when he was in the ECHL.  Jake Kielly was a highly touted guy coming out of the NCAA.  Not saying he would be this NHL stud but I think the Canucks need to start devoting more resources to helping use the ECHL as another avenue to the AHL and NHL.

Toronto already uses the Growlers as a developmental place, its no wonder why the Marlies do so well with lots of injection year after year from their ECHL affiliate. 

And yet they couldn't develop a goalie to step into the NHL. I mean good on them for building AHLers, but getting to the NHL is the hard part and so far we have done it with Schneider, Lack, Demko and most likely DiPietro.

To be clear, I'm not saying we shouldn't invest in more development through the ECHL, but I just think Toronto isn't exactly a glowing example of development.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1