The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Tkachuk Captain of Flames?

5 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Hate to burst your bubble but sometimes you need players that can grow a pair and mix things up

tumblr_ls1pj6PwLN1r21bjmo1_500.gif

Otherwise that’s all your left with as much as it hurts me to see that.

And again. Marchand was 100x worse when he entered the league then Tkachuk is. Tkachuk isn’t a cheap hit artist or a dirtbag regardless of what you tell yourself.

Yeah and obviously taking that is garbage, but AGAIN The world is not black and white, just because you aren't spearing people from the bench or jumping them when they don't expect it doesn't mean you're letting them punch you unimpeded either.

6 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I know it's not a popular opinion on here but I actually agree. 

Yeah, not really sure who else it would be. People just assume Monahan cause he’s a good Canadian kid but he’d be s terrible choice. Tkakchuk is definitely the emotional leader of that younger group of Flames on ice. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, not really sure who else it would be. People just assume Monahan cause he’s a good Canadian kid but he’d be s terrible choice. Tkakchuk is definitely the emotional leader of that younger group of Flames on ice. 

Yep, similar to how DeBrusk is for Boston and in all likelihood is pegged to be their next future captain after Chara.

8 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Yep, similar to how DeBrusk is for Boston and in all likelihood is pegged to be their next future captain after Chara.

I'm still convinced they give it to Bergeron. He'd probably be captain now, I don't think anybody expected Chara to be playing at 42

6 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I'm still convinced they give it to Bergeron. He'd probably be captain now, I don't think anybody expected Chara to be playing at 42

Possibly Bergeron. Depends if Bruins want to pass the C on a couple seasons later when he’s gone or just commit to the young guy. Fwiw the players themselves say he’s the vocal leader in that locker room and even the vets respect him, sort of like how Bo is for us.

As for Calgary, they don’t have a Bergeron that can challenge the younger guy for captaincy. Unless they just give it to Monahan for whatever reason.

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Wow a lot of people don't really watch Monahan, he's about as captain worthy as goldobin.

I admit, I don't follow them that closely. Who do you think would be best then? Gaudreau? Backlund?

Tkachuk is a good hockey player, but captain material? HELL NO. You want the captain to lead by character and set a good example for the team.

That sound like Matthew Tkachuk? No way.

It’s almost like if Boston names Marchand their next captain. I’d pick Bergeron over him any day.

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I admit, I don't follow them that closely. Who do you think would be best then? Gaudreau? Backlund?

In all honesty it would probably be tkachuk. He’s a leader in the room, plays with his heart on his sleeve and does what ever it take to help the team win. He’s actually pretty unselfish in how he plays. It wasn’t that long ago a large majority of people felt kesler should be the captain. Especially after he went beast mode in playoffs. We will see if tkachuk can do the same for the flames.  

But is Gio is only 35 and he’s got another 3 years left on his contract so I’m not sure if it’s really the right time to determine who’s next. Lots can happen in the time but I do know it won’t be Monahan. He’s a floater that is invisible for 95% of the game. The majority of games your wondering if he was even on the ice. He does have a decent shot and the ability to get open in front of the net. But he’s not the type that’s going to lead or will his team to win. 

Archived