The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First Ride?

bishopshodan

Inspired by a post I just saw regarding a rusty VW Rabbit ( @SergioMomesso)...:)

What was your first vehicle?

Did you love it? hate it?

Mine was a used Datsun 510. It was my dream. I had it for a full year before I was old enough to take the road test. I'd drive my girlfriend and I around my parents property as a 15 year old. We would dream of the freedom we would have once I turned 16. I remember the first time I got to drive on the streets by myself, I was in heaven.

I still love driving. I have driven to Montreal and back 5 times, one time all the way to Halifax and back, driven the east coast of the States once and up and down the West Coast too many times to count. I drive the congested Vancouver roads daily and I still enjoy being behind the wheel.

Anyway, please post your first love/hate and stories.

This is similar to my old ride. I thought it looked soo good and was excited that the back tires were slightly bigger than the front ( not on purpose). I thought it looked faster because of that. However, I don't think all the cylinders worked? when I stepped on the gas it just sounded like it was going faster. It got me through a few years of high school and I treated it as a punk high school kid would. Still I miss that little car .RIP

1576694952_1972Datsun5102-Door.-4.jpg.52540c8cfb8d4ca312fb1a0ab87edfad.jpg

Mine was one of these babies:

image.png.39065010c53e84332c28d8401edee98c.png

Wish I still had it, but unfortunately it was a write off after I was rear ended by a drunk, while stopped behind another vehicle at a stop sign.

Drunk drove away. I couldn't get out, because the car was pancaked and neither of the doors would open. Guy in front of me was a biker, but he had a broken leg from a riding accident. Don't think they ever caught the guy.

1980 Honda Civic

Not my picture, but it's pretty close to what it looked like when I bought it.  It was a great little car.  I had never driven with a clutch when I bought it so my Dad had to test drive it for me.  Luckily we had a long driveway so I practiced using the clutch there before I took it out on the road.

Several years later, my first brand new car was a '95 Civic.

Image result for 1980 honda civic

At 16 I had a VW rabbit diesel. I remember I could see right through one side of the car door to the other side because it was soo rusted out. And one winter the glow plugs failed and it was sooo cold I couldn't turn it off for 2 weeks because it would have never started up until the spring . Not long after that I drove that bad boy all the way to Vancouver to see White Zombie. First concert ever. I remember the round trip costing us a grand total of 70 bucks in fuel. Another funny story is when I rolled it on its side one night and the back seat had 3 fairly large guys stuffed in there. While the last guy was exitin the car, the door slammed down on his head, knocking him out cold for a few minutes. He had no lingering effects caused by the head shot but at the time it was hilarious. I will go and rummage through some old pics to try to find an old one and post it later. It was a beauty through and through. 

My first and to this day was my dream car. I had a 78 Chev Elcamino SS. Deep navy blue,chrome bumpers and decos, chromed cragar rims, with the rounded back window. missing only 1  of the SS decos. I only wish i wasnt so young and dumb and took care of it. 

1983 Mazda 626 LX, 5 speed, power locks, power windows and a sunroof. Drove it for 7 years. Never changed the oil. Couldn't rev it over 5k without it sputtering. Had a lot of memories in that car.

18 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

My first and to this day was my dream car. I had a 78 Chev Elcamino SS. Deep navy blue,chrome bumpers and decos, chromed cragar rims, with the rounded back window. missing only 1  of the SS decos. I only wish i wasnt so young and dumb and took care of it. 

It's a funny thing....when I was a teenager and El Camino's were a thing, I thought they were fugly...Now I think they're awesome.

Must be all the Counting Cars episodes.....

1987 Toyota 4runner, convertible model.

It was poo brown and rusty. I didn't care.

I put that thing through hell and it just kept going. It got to the point where any maintenance would have exceeded the value of the vehicle so I donated it to the kidney foundation for a $200 tax credit.

Then bought a 95 4runner

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I drove a 63 Rambler 3 speed for a little while, but it was my mom's and she never had a drivers license.

I bought a 1969 Buick Wildcat in high school. 350 V8 sucker could haul ass

899408195.jpg

Beautiful. 

1982 Mercury Capri for me. It had a lot of issues unfortunately. It was superb on fuel but the darn carburetor was so hit and miss. Sometimes it'd fire up and run like a top but other times it would start and quit after about 30 seconds. I tinkered with it lots. Rebuilt the carburetor once and found an oil leak. So, I had to retire the ol' gal. 

It was red with a single black stripe on the door.

1984 Toyota Tercel hatchback, in gold. It earned the name 'Peanut'. The muffler fell off shortly after I got it, sounded like a small airplane barreling down the road.

I got the sucker up to 180 km/hr...with the aid of gravity and a very big hill.

toyota_tercel_83_4C3_02.jpg

Archived