The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Demko for Ristolainen

24 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

chin up man

i'm not as down on the sabres culture issues as you are

they clearly have some problems though

i still think their key elite pieces have not been too badly tainted by the losing

dahlin is still fresh

eichel seems fairly focused and ok

their young talent has time to develop still and likely will

with such a young team more of the growth can come from within still

they have a lot of young depth

i think the sabres can over come their losing and make the playoffs next season

now speak to me about the coilers

and i can give you a more lengthy viewpoint

on how their culture really sucks

it resonates from management down

and they keep the poisoning going in the locker room

by allowing key players like mcdavid and draisaitl chase personal point goals

instead of playing a better team game

they are in big trouble moving forward

I don't disagree with your assessment, but I think making the playoffs next year may be too tall of an order unless the second line makes a marked improvement and Botterill does a good job rebuilding the bottom 6.

I also think they need to replace Housley and now our local journalists are also calling for his dismissal.

Im willing to pay for Ristolainen. Not sure if Demko is the right fit, or even enough pay???

Ristolainen is a 6'4'' 40 point D man, his 4th STRAIGHT 40 point season while under 25 years old. Who needs not to be on a top pair for a while, to round out his development.  

That would have led us in D scoring each of the last 4 years I believe?

I propose a 2knd & 3rd for Ristolainen. And would count us lucky to get him...

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

For Ristolainen, is it just his own end or is there other issues, like with Dougie Hamilton? He can certainly put up points (as can Hamilton) but if it's just defence that can be worked on or at least mitigated to an extent.

EDIT: just to clarify my position, I'd prefer Ristolainen on his cost controlled contract for three more years than spending big in free agency for Myers.

Bolded is EXACTLY what I'm thinking.

As for Risto, don't know much about his personality but defensively is definitely where he needs work if he wants to be considered a legit top pair D. But even if he can't get there defensively, him and Hughes could be an AWFULLY effective offensive pair.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bolded is EXACTLY what I'm thinking.

As for Risto, don't know much about his personality but defensively is definitely where he needs work if he wants to be considered a legit top pair D. But even if he can't get there defensively, him and Hughes could be an AWFULLY effective offensive pair.

Agreed.  Cost controlled for what he brings is the key.  Juolevi Ristolainen would make a nice first/second pair in a couple years with Hughes Woo/Tryamkin as the other.  Edler Stetcher as the third pair, again in a couple years.

Just now, aGENT said:

Hutton + Demko give or take for an extended Trouba?

No, I would not think so. Not enough mustard.

What did Calgary pay for Hamilton? Hamonic?  By memory a couple of firsts each.  And people slogged those deals, but here they are, after converting Hamilton to even speedier Hanifin which is a better fit? In first place in the West, criticized for making those deals be damned...

Trouba >> than either Hamilton or Hamonic IMO. 

Trouba will be available, but I don't believe we can afford the price.   Tanev, Gaudette & a 2020 1st is the best I can come up with?

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

So do I, that's why I don't think Demko alone can get him.

It's pretty funny, half the posters are posting how 'garbage' Risto is, the other half are saying Demko wouldn't be enough :lol:

His 'poor' season/mediocre defensive play is exactly the reason I'm suggesting targeting him. And I'm not suggesting he'll ever be a #1D. He could be a pretty solid, right side piece who would massively uptick our D core. Especially offensively (our biggest weakness).

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

No, I would not think so. Not enough mustard.

What did Calgary pay for Hamilton? Hamonic?  By memory a couple of firsts each.  And people slogged those deals, but here they are, after converting Hamilton to even speedier Hanifin which is a better fit? In first place in the West, criticized for making those deals be damned...

Trouba >> than either Hamilton or Hamonic IMO. 

Trouba will be available, but I don't believe we can afford the price.   Tanev, Gaudette & a 2020 1st is the best I can come up with?

I don't know Demko + Hutton is probably better value than Tanev and Gaudette. Agree we'd probably need to add something else though. But I'd be loath to include any 1sts, 2020 or otherwise.

WPG also need left D.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's pretty funny, half the posters are posting how 'garbage' Risto is, the other half are saying Demko wouldn't be enough :lol:

His 'poor' season/mediocre defensive play is exactly the reason I'm suggesting targeting him. And I'm not suggesting he'll ever be a #1D. He could be a pretty solid, right side piece who would massively uptick our D core. Especially offensively (our biggest weakness).

People are understandably attached to Demko. After tracking him for 4 years. 

A untested, even promising, goalie? Is still not worth a 4 time 40 point D man. CDC like angst in Buffalo with Risto aside. CDC actual angst over Demko also irrelevant. 

A 40 point D man is still something we have not had in, what, 7 years? Since Edler in 2012 by memory.  

Demko on his own wont get a deal done. Unless Botteril, his dad was one of my uni professors, has lost his marbles. 

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

People are understandably attached to Demko. After tracking him for 4 years. 

A untested, even promising, goalie? Is still not worth a 4 time 40 point D man. CDC like angst in Buffalo with Risto aside. CDC actual angst over Demko also irrelevant. 

A 40 point D man is still something we have not had in, what, 7 years? Since Edler in 2012 by memory.  

Demko on his own wont get a deal done. Unless Botteril, his dad was one of my uni professors, has lost his marbles. 

Tell that to half the people in this thread:lol: but fair enough, we could always add.

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't know Demko + Hutton is probably better value than Tanev and Gaudette. Agree we'd probably need to add something else though. But I'd be loath to include any 1sts, 2020 or otherwise.

WPG also need left D.

Need both if Myers is let go, which is happening. And then there is the discussion that Trouba wont sing for more than 1 year. And I think he has arbitration rights, so he can force it. At which time he is UFA.

Granny! :towel:

And voila, they need RHD... 

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Need both if Myers is let go, which is happening. And then there is the discussion that Trouba wont sing for more than 1 year. And I think he has arbitration rights, so he can force it. At which time he is UFA.

Granny! :towel:

And voila, they need RHD... 

I'd imagine if they move Trouba, they'd look to retain Myers.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'd imagine if they move Trouba, they'd look to retain Myers.

Assuming they have a choice in the matter...

I for one moved away from Winnipeg and its winters. A guy who can get paid $7 mill (?) to leave for somewhere warmer. Or $5 mill to stay, is going to leave.

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Assuming they have a choice in the matter...

I for one moved away from Winnipeg and its winters. A guy who can get paid $7 mill (?) to leave for somewhere warmer. Or $5 mill to stay, is going to leave.

Minus Trouba they can probably pay him more than $5m. And they still have that cup contender draw. I think the two main reasons he'd look to leave are opportunity and a lack of cap space. Both of which get solved if they move Trouba instead.

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The way I see it is that usually goalies don't really get teams much on the trade front. Add to that Demko is still an unproven commodity so I really don't think Demko can really get the Canucks too much. Even on a Nure trade I talked about before would still need Demko plus. That whole Luongo and Schneider sage taught me my lesson. Here we were thinking we were going to get the sun or the moon for either of them only to be disappointed with getting only a first round pick..

Just now, smokes said:

The way I see it is that usually goalies don't really get teams much on the trade front. Add to that Demko is still an unproven commodity so I really don't think Demko can really get the Canucks too much. Even on a Nure trade I talked about before would still need Demko plus. That whole Luongo and Schneider sage taught me my lesson. Here we were thinking we were going to get the sun or the moon for either of them only to be disappointed with getting only a first round pick..

Demko also has age and cost in his favour/trade value. But as I noted earlier with Surfer, it's fair we'd likely need to add.

That 'disappointing' first worked out pretty well ;)

Archived