The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 02, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

51 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I honestly wouldn't mind signing Myers for a few years at 4x5.5M (his current rate). Edler at 2x6.5M. He would add good depth to our D corps for sure and possibly fill in for Tanev if he were to be traded. The problem is I doubt Myers only wants 5.5M but it is doubtful that a team will pay him a ton of $$$. He only has 30pts on a stacked Jets team this year. He has the intangibles of size and reach but can be prone to defensive gaffs. If Stralman can be had for less term than sure, but as you said he is 33 and only scored 18 points the past two years on the best team since the '11 Canucks - not sure what his market value would be.

That's just it?

We cant sit here as fans and sat we'll sign him ''if'' he signs for $5.5 mill? Or $6.5 mill??

Myers scored 30 points this year without being on a top PP or with benefit of key offensive minutes. Odds are he will command more. Edler also, the key question being term going on 34. My own guess is Edler will sign here, but only if we are at least close to the bidding.

Pony up, and you can play in the market...

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

All the opposing team players stayed on the ice to hand shake with the Sedins last year. I think it was the Oilers. Very classy move by them to celebrate 2 good hockey careers. I know refs are not viewed in the same light, but it would have been a classy move to stay on and shake hands. The Canucks whooped the Oilers last year in that game and they all stayed on. Just saying, hockey people see that kind of stuff. 

Sure they could have. But they didn't. Who cares?

The ironic thing about class is people who have class don't talk about it and they don't make comparisons about who is and who is not classy.

There is a segment on this board that go to lengths to point out when the Canucks are classy, which in itself is unclassy.

Besides, I thought the Oilers were unclassy, now you are saying they are classy because they shook the Sedins  hands. Are you sure you want to travel down this road?

I could write a laundry list of unclassy events surrounding this team and a list just as long about the good they have done. In the end what do you get? 

THE CANUCKS ARE CLASSY, except when they are not.

12 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Why are the Vancouver media so dumb? Some of the things they say are asinine. During the intermission yesterday. Someone said we should Trade Tanev for a 4th round pick? Scott Rintol is the only guy with half a brain in there.

Yeah that was Andrew Walker, he said trade Tanev for a 4th round pick. We got pouliot for a 4th round pick. I guess that’s where he rates Tanev.

These are the people who say fire Benning. No wonder we have never won a cup with that kind of mentality. NO PATIENCE

20 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Why are the Vancouver media so dumb? Some of the things they say are asinine. During the intermission yesterday. Someone said we should Trade Tanev for a 4th round pick? Scott

I'm glad I missed that lol.  One more instance of how utterly stupid this media market is - and yet for whatever reason, the 'human resources" departments of these media outlets are equally incompetent and unable to assess who's worth giving a platform.

In a Canadian market, for there to be that feeble of competition - or (lack of) critical thinking - that Tanev for a 4th can pass for intermission "hockey talk" is pretty sad ass.

But this is the genius media market that thought Gudbranson was untradeable that cried when Vanek returned Motte as opposed to a late pick, Beagle a signing that was unfathomable, Sutter the worst overpaid '3rd line' center in the NHL, erupted in protest when Shinkaruk was dealt for Granlund, on and on, ad infinitum.

Unfotunately the effect is a relative dumbing-down of the hockey market - when really it has been pretty fortunate to have some management groups that you'd hope people, particularly 'professional' media, might have learned from.  Their desperate attempts to constantly one-up management appears to have fundamentally stunted the growth of their hockey 'intelligence'.

Tanev for a 4th would be one of, if not the dumbest deal in team history - hands-down - virtually unparalleled.   So dumb in fact that it could only happen if no other team were aware he's on the market, because once word was shared - as any competent GM would do - that Tanev for a 4th were the going rate - there'd be a swarm of teams looking to close on that - and the price would naturally rise.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I love it.

Mostly because I think it was used in tribute to the Sedins and has "meaning" as a result.   I think/believe we were the first NHL team to use it?

'Love' beats 'cringe' every time.

The Iceland Soccer club put it on the map from what I remember, but I dunno about NHL. Do other teams do it?. I did think it was cool for a Sedin tribute. just thought we might be done with it now. And I don't care for that Johnny Canuck character...I don't know why, I may have to get help for that.

I always want to be unique, I hate hearing other buildings 'woo' after their team scores....wasn't that our thing? Burr started? 

Anyway, if you enjoy it Deb..and actually a lot of peeps at the game last night....then I can handle it as my duty to the Canuck nation. :)

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

'Love' beats 'cringe' every time.

The Iceland Soccer club put it on the map from what I remember, but I dunno about NHL. Do other teams do it?. I did think it was cool for a Sedin tribute. just thought we might be done with it now. And I don't care for that Johnny Canuck character...I don't know why, I may have to get help for that.

I always want to be unique, I hate hearing other buildings 'woo' after their team scores....wasn't that our thing? Burr started? 

Anyway, if you enjoy it Deb..and actually a lot of peeps at the game last night....then I can handle it as my duty to the Canuck nation. :)

I believe other teams are now doing the VC.   Boo.

And I think we did start the "woo"...but I could be wrong.   The white towel too.

Johnny Canucks kind of creeps me out a bit.  Shhh, don't tell anyone.

I'm glad to hear you won't petition to take our Viking clap away...join us in the silliness!

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I'm glad I missed that lol.  One more instance of how utterly stupid this media market is - and yet for whatever reason, the 'human resources" departments of these media outlets are equally incompetent and unable to assess who's worth giving a platform.

In a Canadian market, for there to be that feeble of competition - or (lack of) critical thinking - that Tanev for a 4th can pass for intermission "hockey talk" is pretty sad ass.

But this is the genius media market that thought Gudbranson was untradeable that cried when Vanek returned Motte as opposed to a late pick, Beagle a signing that was unfathomable, Sutter the worst overpaid '3rd line' center in the NHL, erupted in protest when Shinkaruk was dealt for Granlund, on and on, ad infinitum.

Unfotunately the effect is a relative dumbing-down of the hockey market - when really it has been pretty fortunate to have some management groups that you'd hope people, particularly 'professional' media, might have learned from.  Their desperate attempts to constantly one-up management appears to have fundamentally stunted the growth of their hockey 'intelligence'.

Tanev for a 4th would be one of, if not the dumbest deal in team history - hands-down - virtually unparalleled.   So dumb in fact that it could only happen if no other team were aware he's on the market, because once word was shared - as any competent GM would do - that Tanev for a 4th were the going rate - there'd be a swarm of teams looking to close on that - and the price would naturally rise.

I'm convinced that the local media is more concerned with getting attention than anything else.  Attention that can be measured like hits on various social media etc.  This assures their continued employment in a dog eat dog media market.

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I'm convinced that the local media is more concerned with getting attention than anything else.  Attention that can be measured like hits on various social media etc.  This assures their continued employment in a dog eat dog media market.

That is probably a fair measure of it - and in that sense people can and should just ignore it, tune it out.

Unfortunately I think there's also a precedent - in the path of local smarmies to Florida - where a successful 'analyticz' coup removed Tallon and one of the best coaches in the NHL... The vulnerability can be there if/when an owner isn't able to distinguish between charlatans and hockey people. 

That is the level on which I find it both annoying, and worth refuting.

The positioning and constant nipping at management unfortunately also has a political and self-promoting element to it beyond mere attention-seeking - something I might actually be far more sympathetic of, that ambition - if it weren't so lazy, smarmy and posturing but instead worked harder so the level and competence of criticism rose to the quality of a legitimate challenge to management, informed enough to ask hard questions of substance.  I don't think they manage to even understand what is going on, or being done, let alone qualified to move onto one-upping it.    To reward that is enabling lazy, entitled people to compete way above the level that their work and ability warrants.   That's the thing - if you want to knock off the existing management group, you need to gain their competencies first - and then exceed them - and that gap is litereally laughable, but has a history of Gallaghers to B-otches to smarmies that it unfortunately tracks in.

just finished watching the 3rd period...went to bed after the 2nd, got back from work today...very surprised to see the boys had come back and won the game.

someone mentioned the team going out on a win streak is a lot better than losing the last half a dozen...good for the morale of a Nuck fan...hope they win the two on the road to finish the season 2 games above 0.500.

...got a feeling the lottery will do us a favour this year, it seems that a team finishing higher in the standings has a better chance of moving up than a team that finishes 4 to 7 from last.

Pearson is a beauty...could never have imagined getting him from LA when he played for them...he was a big part of their success in the role he played for them. In fact, he played with Tofolli and Vey in the "A"...they were a top line in the league. Tofolli and Pearson made Vey look good.

4 hours ago, lmm said:

Sure they could have. But they didn't. Who cares?

The ironic thing about class is people who have class don't talk about it and they don't make comparisons about who is and who is not classy.

There is a segment on this board that go to lengths to point out when the Canucks are classy, which in itself is unclassy.

Besides, I thought the Oilers were unclassy, now you are saying they are classy because they shook the Sedins  hands. Are you sure you want to travel down this road?

I could write a laundry list of unclassy events surrounding this team and a list just as long about the good they have done. In the end what do you get? 

THE CANUCKS ARE CLASSY, except when they are not.

You're right it's not a big deal, I wasn't trying to make it one. I'm not sure about you're whole classy rant here. And if it's obvious I care. I was happy the Sedins got that treatment from the oilers at the end. How can you say that doesn't matter? I think it did..So what if I care? I not sure why you're so offended by this?

And I guess I'm not classy for calling others not classy? My first post was meant as a joke about good karma to the refs that we made a classy move by shaking his hand at the end and that we need all the good karma we can get in the reffing department... You "oh pleased" me so I figured I'd give you a better reason to my thought process on the matter. And somehow that offended you even further? Is it always this easy to ruffle your feathers?

5 hours ago, How swede it is said:

Why?  Lonnie Cameron is a linesman, not a ref.  Okay, so they won't get the icing calls ?????

I wasn't putting that much stock in this action helping out the Canucks, cuz I am a pessimist when it comes to officiating.

But, assuming it does help, there are two possibilities. One, officials as a whole respect the team a little bit more, and calls in general get a bit more favorable.

Two, narrowing the focus to just what linesmen can do to influence the game, how about the number of times we get called for offside when we aren't (potentially stealing a goal), and put that up against the number of times the opposing team does not get called for offside when they should.  Missed offsides calls can result in extended zone time which can lead to an icing or a penalty as the team chases the play.

While I don't have any metrics on it, I feel the Canucks do tend to come out short when it comes to linesman errors, especially being called offsides when it wasn't.

44 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

You're right it's not a big deal, I wasn't trying to make it one. I'm not sure about you're whole classy rant here. And if it's obvious I care. I was happy the Sedins got that treatment from the oilers at the end. How can you say that doesn't matter? I think it did..So what if I care? I not sure why you're so offended by this?

And I guess I'm not classy for calling others not classy? My first post was meant as a joke about good karma to the refs that we made a classy move by shaking his hand at the end and that we need all the good karma we can get in the reffing department... You "oh pleased" me so I figured I'd give you a better reason to my thought process on the matter. And somehow that offended you even further? Is it always this easy to ruffle your feathers?

I was talking about San Jose not staying on the ice to shake Lonny's hand didn't matter

I think it was equally classy to leave the Canucks alone with their fans

but still no big deal either way.

You made a joke? oh it slipped over my head.

The concept that shaking a guys hand should be "rewarded" I find abhorrent. Its like giving someone a Christmas card and saying, "what did you get me" 

You were far from the first CDC member to make similar comments, maybe everyone is making the same joke, maybe my sense of humour is bad or the joke is not funny.

Any how just carry on, I'll go smooth my feathers and assume everything you say is a joke. You should try stand up. haha, that was a joke.

4 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

I’ve never seen anyone close to as bad as Andrew Walker... Rintoul looked like he wanted to kill him haha.

I skipped over the Rintoul/Walker segment

Did I miss something noteworthy bad?

I might have to rewatch just for giggles

Archived