The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 02, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

So glad the guys are winning out in the last run to end of season!  That has to feel way better going into the off season than losing the last 10 games.  Will be interesting to see the makeup of the team next training camp.  Who will be traded or not resigned?  Who will be a new face with potential?  What nuggets can Benning and the scouting staff find?  Is Teves an option?  Rafferty?  Will Juolevi be ready?  Is there a top 4 d out there that a team can't afford to resign that we could wrangle?  We have some Cap space to play with.  Who do we have that might be trade bait?  Virtanen?  Tanev?  Baertschi?  Leivo?  Stecher?  Sutter? One of the goalies? So many possibilities, lots of potential iterations that won't make everyone happy.  Heading for an interesting off season, but I have faith that our team will continue to evolve and be a better version next season.  

For those who have been dumping on Schaller all year. He's quietly put up 10 points in 45 games which would be on pace for 18 over a full season. He had 22 last year, so his point production actually hasn't been far off.

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I have been thinking there is an undisclosed hand or wrist injury.

May just be that NHL coaches have enough tape on him now, they have everyone closing in on him and he gets no time or room.  The good thing is though Brock has had more room and his scoring went up.  That will be the challenge for opposing coaches with this line, who do you focus on.

I could have sworn I heard Shorty say something along those lines a couple weeks back. It would explain why Brock was taking all the draws and why Petey stopped shooting for a good period there.

As for last night, it was really good to show some resilience against a team trying to regain its confidence. Which I thought they were doing after we woke them up. Nice to see some greasy goals as well. Hopefully this win helps keep the Sharks down mentally and they have their annual spring choke!!

Like many others, I am loving Tanner Pearson. He doesn't really stand out in any one area, but he does evrything well. In the corners, going to the front of the net, following up a linemate for puck support, back checking, pk. Being a two time cup winner he knows what it takes to win and it shows in all the details of his game. Another very important intangilbe added to our locker room!!

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The D needs a makeover and they definitely need an upgrade on the right side and a durable one.  I have no problem with this because there are no prospects who are close on the right side.  Woo is coming but 2-3 years is a reasonable expectation for him imo (IF he makes it)

On the left, Edler is a no brainer to re-sign (2 years ideally).  I think this leaves Hutton, with his too high for the bottom pair salary and his mixed performance, a candidate for a trade.  Sell high on this guy Jim.  Sautner, Briesbois and OJ are waiting in the wings

I agree Hutton is the odd mad out...need to make room for OJ and in the meantime can get buy with the depth we have.  Schenn is a revelation, already an improvement, Stetcher is fine...that side needs work, Tanev unfortunately is not helping anymore, injured too often and is declining ... Myers would be an improvement but not sold on him either. Benning should draft BPA at this point, but continue using his second rounders like he did last year with Woo...

I really think Hutton worked hard to earn his spot - did a lot of stuff over the off season that really improved his game.  Just not sure about that one or the message it sends to not recognize and have patience with that process.  But I know the numbers dictate this more than my heart does, so it is what it is.

It was a really fun game and I'm glad the home season ended as it did...with pride, dignity and celebration.  This team truly has exceeded expectations and, despite bumps in the road, can consider it a huge success.

I want to say that, personally, hockey is surrounding me with some of the best people I've ever known.  Had the great pleasure of attending games this year (through their sheer generosity and kindness) with a group of the funnest, best, most energetic fans...now friends for life (I hope).  From our Biega chants to the fact that our little peak of the mountain has us standing, high fiving and celebrating with all around us...it's truly been a great year.  Have to win that lottery (well, that one too), so I can do this for real/the right way and buy a season's ticket.  

Thank you, Canucks, for one helluva season.  I know it ain't over yet, but my heart was filled with both joy and sadness as I left the building for the last time this season.  "Home".  

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

For those who have been dumping on Schaller all year. He's quietly put up 10 points in 45 games which would be on pace for 18 over a full season. He had 22 last year, so his point production actually hasn't been far off.

In fairness, he's played FAR better the last ~month or so. Far more the expected Schaller.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The D needs a makeover and they definitely need an upgrade on the right side and a durable one.  I have no problem with this because there are no prospects who are close on the right side.  Woo is coming but 2-3 years is a reasonable expectation for him imo (IF he makes it)

On the left, Edler is a no brainer to re-sign (2 years ideally).  I think this leaves Hutton, with his too high for the bottom pair salary and his mixed performance, a candidate for a trade.  Sell high on this guy Jim.  Sautner, Briesbois and OJ are waiting in the wings

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I agree Hutton is the odd mad out...need to make room for OJ and in the meantime can get buy with the depth we have.  Schenn is a revelation, already an improvement, Stetcher is fine...that side needs work, Tanev unfortunately is not helping anymore, injured too often and is declining ... Myers would be an improvement but not sold on him either. Benning should draft BPA at this point, but continue using his second rounders like he did last year with Woo...

I also think trade is our best route to add top 4 D depth vs overspending on a $$$, late 20's UFA with a 6+ year term. 

(For example the proposal myself, @SabreFan1 and @73 Percent were kicking around of Demko + for 24 year old Ristolainen with a cost controlled $5.4 X 3 more years, seems FAR preferable to tying up $7m+ X 7 years on a very similar Myers IMO) 

Some combination of Hutton/goalie/Tanev/Sutter/Leivo/Baer/'B' prospects with the added ability to retain on either Sutter/Tanev and/or take a (short term) contract back are our most obvious trade chips.

If we end up signing a far more reasonable $ and term guy like Stralman, it also makes moving Tanev easier.

Nice win, especially for the final home game of the season and even more so to beat the Sharks.

I look forward to an exciting playoff push next year. I think this team will have it in them.

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

In fairness, he's played FAR better the last ~month or so. Far more the expected Schaller.

I also think trade is our best route to add top 4 D depth vs overspending on a $$$, late 20's UFA with a 6+ year term. 

(For example the proposal myself, @SabreFan1 and @73 Percent were kicking around of Demko + for 24 year old Ristolainen with a cost controlled $5.4 X 3 more years, seems FAR preferable to tying up $7m+ X 7 years on a very similar Myers IMO) 

Some combination of Hutton/goalie/Tanev/Sutter/Leivo/Baer/'B' prospects with the added ability to retain on either Sutter/Tanev and/or take a (short term) contract back are our most obvious trade chips.

If we end up signing a far more reasonable $ and term guy like Stralman, it also makes moving Tanev easier.

I love the idea of stralman if we move on from edler

Guest chilliwiggins
1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Nice win, especially for the final home game of the season and even more so to beat the Sharks.

I look forward to an exciting playoff push next year. I think this team will have it in them.

I think that some of the teams that are in our conference may indicate where the Canucks are headed more so than themselves.

Arizona is stocked with youth that are trending upwards, Vegas, looks to have built a team that can stay in playoff contention, San Jose has been good for a long time, Chicago I don't think they are done and ready for a rebuild yet and will still be a team Canucks have to win more games then, Colorado as well are closer to being a rebuilt team than the Canucks.     The only teams I honestly see that are trending downwards are , Ducks, Kings, maybe Minnesota, and Chicago, and I wouldn't even consider the Oilers to trend any more downwards than this year.   This year I would say was an anomaly for the amount of points needed to get into the wildcard positions.   I wouldn't expect the same for next year.    I think they have a ways to go yet

17 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Arizona is stocked with youth that are trending upwards, Vegas, looks to have built a team that can stay in playoff contention (So..., San Jose has been good for a long time, Chicago I don't think they are done and ready for a rebuild yet and will still be a team Canucks have to win more games then, Colorado as well are closer to being a rebuilt team than the Canucks.     The only teams I honestly see that are trending downwards are , Ducks, Kings, maybe Minnesota, and Chicago, and I wouldn't even consider the Oilers to trend any more downwards than this year.  

Can I borrow your crystal ball for the draft lottery too?  (There's a lot of "I don't think" stuff here but I'm not necessarily ready to agree with it).

Arizona - (we) beat them

Vegas - beat them

San Jose - beat them

Chicago - beat them 

Colorado - beat them

It's great that you're projecting good things for other teams and nothing much from ours but I have the opposite outlook in all of this.  The "I think I/we can" and this team has given me reason to believe that, with some tweaks and fine tuning, it's doable.  There's a lot that rides on hot/cold streaks, injuries and goaltending runs that factors in and ANY team that's experiencing the highs in these things can generate momentum and...win.  Oh, confidence increases with those things too.  So it's all about playing the games, not deciding before that.  There's a reason they don't just award the cup based on probabilities, but play for it based on possibilities.

But don't let that stand in your way.

We have a couple of the best new up and comers in the league.  A goaltender who's lights out and another starting to really find his form.  Refs actually are starting to like us.  Sky's the limit.

20 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

I think that some of the teams that are in our conference may indicate where the Canucks are headed more so than themselves.

Arizona is stocked with youth that are trending upwards, Vegas, looks to have built a team that can stay in playoff contention, San Jose has been good for a long time, Chicago I don't think they are done and ready for a rebuild yet and will still be a team Canucks have to win more games then, Colorado as well are closer to being a rebuilt team than the Canucks.     The only teams I honestly see that are trending downwards are , Ducks, Kings, maybe Minnesota, and Chicago, and I wouldn't even consider the Oilers to trend any more downwards than this year.   This year I would say was an anomaly for the amount of points needed to get into the wildcard positions.   I wouldn't expect the same for next year.    I think they have a ways to go yet

Since the inception of the wildcard positions in 2013-14 season, points needed to make playoffs have been 91, 99, 87, 94 and 95 last year. Colorado will likely get in with 90 this year. I wouldn’t say that’s much of an anomaly. If anything the jets needing 99 to get in 5 years ago is an anomaly. 

I think the Canucks have just as great of a chance to make the playoffs as the others you mention.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Fair enough, but just thought I'd point it out for those that are going to use Schaller as an excuse about Benning making bad UFA decisions.

4 hours ago, A.V.'s slurp said:

I could have sworn I heard Shorty say something along those lines a couple weeks back. It would explain why Brock was taking all the draws and why Petey stopped shooting for a good period there.

As for last night, it was really good to show some resilience against a team trying to regain its confidence. Which I thought they were doing after we woke them up. Nice to see some greasy goals as well. Hopefully this win helps keep the Sharks down mentally and they have their annual spring choke!!

Like many others, I am loving Tanner Pearson. He doesn't really stand out in any one area, but he does evrything well. In the corners, going to the front of the net, following up a linemate for puck support, back checking, pk. Being a two time cup winner he knows what it takes to win and it shows in all the details of his game. Another very important intangilbe added to our locker room!!

Well, regardless Petterson has truly had a remarkable year and has been a lot of fun to watch.

I like Tanner's game.  He skates in straight lines.  Bulls anything in his way out of his way and goes where he is going.  Good hard edge to his game.  Goes to the net and in the corners well.  I think is a decent option as a complimentary winger in top 6.  They need to add another skilled winger.  Bo can have whoever that may be or Baer if he can stay healthy.  That makes a really good second line.  He can also slide down the lineup and play competently in the bottom 6 if not delivering offence.

I think Benning has had one of his better years here. 

Getting something useful out of Guddy, Leivo is a decent depth forward who didn't cost much.  Schenn was a really nice add and is giving much of what we hoped from Guddy for less than a fifth the cost. 

Kept to his word and didn't trade away any of this years picks, even added some pics late in draft. 

Good yeoman work for Benning this year. 

Biggest complaint is loosing Dahlen and who knows if he is ever going to be a player.

12 hours ago, lmm said:

Oh please,

Canucks final home game and you don't think its classy for the Sharks to leave the Canucks in their glory with the home fans.

All the opposing team players stayed on the ice to hand shake with the Sedins last year. I think it was the Oilers. Very classy move by them to celebrate 2 good hockey careers. I know refs are not viewed in the same light, but it would have been a classy move to stay on and shake hands. The Canucks whooped the Oilers last year in that game and they all stayed on. Just saying, hockey people see that kind of stuff. 

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Or maybe he just burned out, like most rookies do

Absolutely.  He looked exhausted in a few games I saw after all star break.  Just shows there is a lot more to come from this kid as he develops as an athlete.  So smart, such amazing hand eye coordination and crazy sneaky on skates.  As season went on you saw him starting to play more physical too.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Ristolainen and Juolevi were a D pair when they won the WJC were they not?

Archived