The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 02, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

I hope we are done with the Viking Clap by next year.

Last night 'real life' Johnny Hipster was sat with the dudes form Letter Kenny and Corner Gas? anyway, he led the crowd in 'the clap' and I felt a bit of cringe.

I know some people like it but I just don't like adopting things from other teams/sports. Just my opinion of course.

6 hours ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

Shout out to Biega for playing a solid game beside Edler. Game in and game out the guy quietly delivers a solid performance. He’d be a playoff warrior for us if we make it in the next couple years. 

No disrespect to Biega but for us to be a playoff team he ideally would not be on the team. Or at the very least he'd be a 7/8 d-man. Our defense is by far our biggest weakness. Our GAA is nice, for sure, but I'd say that's cause our goalies largely have been standing on their heads all season. Or most of the season. Our goalies kinda stunk in October, November and parts of December. Demko had to face 35+ shots last game. We need to weed out guys like Biega, Pouliot, could even argue Tanev for injury reasons, and I know Schenn is a huge fan favorite right now but maybe him as well. 

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I hope we are done with the Viking Clap by next year.

Last night 'real life' Johnny Hipster was sat with the dudes form Letter Kenny and Corner Gas? anyway, he led the crowd in 'the clap' and I felt a bit of cringe.

I know some people like it but I just don't like adopting things from other teams/sports. Just my opinion of course.

I love it.

Mostly because I think it was used in tribute to the Sedins and has "meaning" as a result.   I think/believe we were the first NHL team to use it?

Since this is the final home game so I thought I'd make the assessment for the Canucks' season.  I am pretty much satisfied on what Benning is doing, making the moving parts to make this team better and I felt that he had done that so.   We actually have more depth on this forward group than in the past and with Hughes additional making this team looks better.   Goaltender is great and I love the way they performed for us.   I'm glad that Benning made move to get rid of Nilsson and made the call by calling up Demko and I felt that injures is untimely for us in so many ways, preventing us from seeing the true team.  

Without that losing streak in November and February, we'd be in the playoff spot.   Also keeping in mind that we played without the benefit of playing against the tired team over the season, (3 times) and being tired team for 11 games in total and that difference when compared to other teams, they get points for that while we had to work harder to get our points.  So I would expect Benning to have a greater output in the schedule for next season.  Hopefully us playing against a tired teams would go up next season rather than Edmonton getting them 18 times.    Also we didn't even have the benefit of extra day off from a long trip when compared to other teams, after 6 games road trip twice, we had to play at home with no extra days off.   If it were up to me, I would do away with schedule matrix of 3 conference games and just go with 2 games each, that would reduce our trip even further and stay within our own time zone for as much as possible with extra road games within the time zone.   

Finally, I look forward to another high draft pick (by winning the lottery) or a top 10 pick.   I also am looking forward to the summer moves (Sutter, Tanev, etc.) and I felt that we are in position to make some trade for D, rather than sign for UFA, we are not in position to spend money because we would have to pay for Boeser, Petterson, Markstrom, in the near future unless it's very short term for a top dollar (10 m AAV for 2 years as an example) that way we are not handcuffed by the cap and also a potential Luongo recapture penalty in next three seasons.   I would also like to see Eriksson gone but if any team is willing to make a trade, I felt that he still is a good player and any bottom dweller team looking for a cap floor but cheaper salary, his final few years would enable that to happen.   

37 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

No disrespect to Biega but for us to be a playoff team he ideally would not be on the team. Or at the very least he'd be a 7/8 d-man. Our defense is by far our biggest weakness. Our GAA is nice, for sure, but I'd say that's cause our goalies largely have been standing on their heads all season. Or most of the season. Our goalies kinda stunk in October, November and parts of December. Demko had to face 35+ shots last game. We need to weed out guys like Biega, Pouliot, could even argue Tanev for injury reasons, and I know Schenn is a huge fan favorite right now but maybe him as well. 

They won't have both Schenn and Biega on the team.  It'll be one or the other

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I love the idea of stralman if we move on from edler

I'm loose on Stralman. Wont thow my sh!t if we sign him. We need a RHD, and he is quality. 

He is also going to be 33 in Fall, 6' & 190 as a PMD coming off back to back 17 or 18 point seasons with a powerhouse offensive teams, He qualifies as a Beagle type quality depth UFA, albeit in a very targeted area of need.

We're complaining about Tanev being injury prone. And the concept is sign a 33 year old who will miss 35 odd games this year???

Stralman would be very good depth. Not someone to resolve our need for a top pair RHD... 

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

FTFY

Fair enough...

9 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Agreed, not a big fan either as I said but Benning has to make some kind of move... standing pat will have the anti-Benning crowd screaming... but then, him making a signing or especially a trade, pretty much regardless of the context will likely have them screaming anyways lol 

Pretty sure that Benning is smart enough to be aware that trying to appease the anti-Benning crowd would be like trying to appease Hitler; we'll just give them Poland and then they will leave us alone......right.

I am sure that he will keep the faith and continue to improve the team, finding us another Calder finalist to keep his string alive while plugging holes when useful parts become available. Would be a surprise to me if he did sign one of the most desirable FAs, as their prices are invariably exorbitant, and he has shown that he can learn from his mistakes.

21 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

IStralman would be very good depth. Not someone to resolve our need for a top pair RHD... 

Fair enough...

That's not my intention. IMO that gets solved via trade (well at least top 4 anyway - the only real top pair solution is Karlsson).

^Coolboarder above mentioned the sched..& it was horrendous.

Wonder if the team was clever enough to WANT a tough sched(as in, NO word of complaint/requests/etc...)? What better way to pull a last season of stealth draft-positioning? Anywhoo, the league now OWES us a more reasonable sched, in the seasons henceforth...

45 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm loose on Stralman. Wont thow my sh!t if we sign him. We need a RHD, and he is quality. 

He is also going to be 33 in Fall, 6' & 190 as a PMD coming off back to back 17 or 18 point seasons with a powerhouse offensive teams, He qualifies as a Beagle type quality depth UFA, albeit in a very targeted area of need.

We're complaining about Tanev being injury prone. And the concept is sign a 33 year old who will miss 35 odd games this year???

Stralman would be very good depth. Not someone to resolve our need for a top pair RHD... 

Fair enough...

I honestly wouldn't mind signing Myers for a few years at 4x5.5M (his current rate). Edler at 2x6.5M. He would add good depth to our D corps for sure and possibly fill in for Tanev if he were to be traded. The problem is I doubt Myers only wants 5.5M but it is doubtful that a team will pay him a ton of $$$. He only has 30pts on a stacked Jets team this year. He has the intangibles of size and reach but can be prone to defensive gaffs. If Stralman can be had for less term than sure, but as you said he is 33 and only scored 18 points the past two years on the best team since the '11 Canucks - not sure what his market value would be.

35 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Pretty sure that Benning is smart enough to be aware that trying to appease the anti-Benning crowd would be like trying to appease Hitler; we'll just give them Poland and then they will leave us alone......right.

I am sure that he will keep the faith and continue to improve the team, finding us another Calder finalist to keep his string alive while plugging holes when useful parts become available. Would be a surprise to me if he did sign one of the most desirable FAs, as their prices are invariably exorbitant, and he has shown that he can learn from his mistakes.

My point was is this market is so divided on opinions of him that he’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. Realistically I don’t think he gives two f*cks if people like his moves or not, he’s trying to improve his hockey team the best way he knows how. 

That would be nice and we can hope to pluck a guy like McAvoyx or something similar after other GM’s pass on them. 

I’ll be surprised too but I think we can all agree we need help on the backend. This is why I wouldn’t be all that surprised to see Edler back, I just hope the term is short. 

18 hours ago, xereau said:

No chance.  He is a legit winger for Bo.

Now they both need a bonafide play maker.

I still believe Baerschi will resurface as Bo's one of Bo's wingers. 

Not good enough to be first line, but injuries aside an excellent 2knd line player IMO.

18 hours ago, kilgore said:

....Corey Hart got inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame!

B)

Arrrrggggh; don't remind me. 

At the end of middle school I paid to see a Corey show. One hit wonder, it was awful.

My friends laughed at me, went to see April Wine. 

Didn't get to see this game - but did catch the condensed version.

Looks like Horvat, Pearson, LE didn't just have a great game on the scoresheet - with a combined 6 pts....

- but were also clearly the team's best "possession' players as well (although Stecher and Hutton also were exceptions to a strong 'possession' night for the Sharks despite the loss...(and obviously Demko was very good...)

LE - 50% corsi, 25% ozone starts

Pearson - 48.8, 25.0

Horvat - 47.5, 35.7.

Also interesting to see that Green apparently split up the Hughes Schenn pairing, at least situationally.

It looks like he was pairing Hughes with Edler - at least some of the time, particularly ozone starts....

Anyone have any insight on how they looked together?

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Didn't get to see this game - but did catch the condensed version.

Looks like Horvat, Pearson, LE didn't just have a great game on the scoresheet - with a combined 6 pts....

- but were also clearly the team's best "possession' players as well (although Stecher and Hutton also were exceptions to a strong 'possession' night for the Sharks despite the loss...(and obviously Demko was very good...)

LE - 50% corsi, 25% ozone starts

Pearson - 48.8, 25.0

Horvat - 47.5, 35.7.

Also interesting to see that Green apparently split up the Hughes Schenn pairing, at least situationally.

It looks like he was pairing Hughes with Edler - at least some of the time, particularly ozone starts....

Anyone have any insight on how they looked together?

Edler had a steady game and was fairly physical but I admit that I did not want to see him on the Pp1

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I love the idea of stralman if we move on from edler

Yes! Short term high salary. Hes still a good player and would be the perfect depth guy as our number 4 or 5. Stay away from Myers. It will cost way too much...I have a feeling Benning is going for Myers though.

Archived