The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 & SN 650: What station do you prefer?

Rate this topic

dpn1

1040 or 650?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As the season closes I thought it would be OK to ask this question as the season finishes off this weekend.  I personally prefer 1040 as they seem to have a little more fun with what they do.  I find 650 drab.  I don't like Sekaris & Price as they seem to whine too much but the the other two shows I enjoy (plus Prat is gone lol) .  What do you think?

Edited by dpn1
  • Upvote 1

650 actually has the Canucks rights so I tend to lean towards them. I listen to Canucks Central with Auld and Shah in podcast form pretty much everyday just to have something in the background.

Overall sportsnet and tsn are both awful companies with heavy Toronto bias so it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Neither. Listened to 650 for the first time in a couple of months. 9:15 am ( don't know names ) ....the themes were Virtanen must be traded and can JB last another year ! It was like CDC when only the negative ninjas are allowed to post. Garbage ! ( 1040......ex-Pratt and Sekeres.....get lost )

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

650 actually has the Canucks rights so I tend to lean towards them. I listen to Canucks Central with Auld and Shah in podcast form pretty much everyday just to have something in the background.

Overall sportsnet and tsn are both awful companies with heavy Toronto bias so it doesn't really matter.

I agree 650 best Vancouver sports station..Auld and Shah are very good and there are a few other good hosts that have knowledge...TSN 1040 really going down fast..

• Upvote 1

I haven't listened to 650 much lately, their broadcast quality was terrible and I couldn't get it in my car out in the valley.

TSN has better guests for sure.  I like to listen to the hits from Ferraro, Pierre Macquire, Button, etc.  I also like listening to Taylor as I was the right age for Sportspage to have been really big.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

TSN and its not really that close. Better guests and I like the personalities of the on air hosts more. I also love Donny Taylor, guy is a beaut. The only thing that makes me even consider 650 is the fact that Botch has airtime on 1040.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

650 by a landslide.

I haven't listened to 1040 in a long time but 650 has many NHL related guests as in players, management, agents and media (probably helps having Auld as a connection), regular weekly segments with Bertuzzi, O'Brien, Friedman, Murphy, etc just to name a few, and in my opinion they have proper discussions about situations where in the past it seemed that TSN1040 always had discussions with a negative bias present.

To be fair, it also depends on what segments you choose to listen to for both stations.

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Upvote 2

I like certain people from each station 

Sportsnet 650 - Alex Auld, Scott Rintoul, Dave Sheldon

TSN 1040 - Ian Mcletchie, Dave Tomlinson (although he got fired), Jon Abbott

I generally flip flop between each station on my commute to school and work.  I like hearing different perspectives to inform my own on the Canucks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

As the season closes I thought it would be OK to ask this question as the season finishes off this weekend.  I personally prefer 1040 as they seem to have a little more fun with what they do.  I find 650 drab.  I don't like Sekaris & Price as they seem to whine too much but the the other two shows I enjoy (plus Prat is gone lol) .  What do you think?

Cannot support TSN no matter what the situation. Love Don Taylor wish he was on 650 but cannot listen to those TSN Insiders other the Mckenzie., SN seems to have the intel edge over TSN and I do not want TSN to ever take over the NHL hockey broadcasting because then were F@#ked and we'll have to live with Leafs talk 24/7. Really its not a matter of which station is better its more which station works best for our Vancouver Canucks.

I like both for different reasons.

650 tends to be more fair and level headed with their criticism.  Of course with having former players like Hirsh and Auld, they get what the team is trying to do so they donet get all bombastic about things.  Dahliwal, Cybulski and Perry in the morning show are really funny, especially when former Canuck prospect and producer Tochkin gets in on the discussion.  

1040 is very entertaining and funny at times, although I dont like how bombastic and TMZ like they can get with their criticism (excusing Donny and the Moj of course).  Halford & Brough have a great show, but lately their fire JB ranting has been really pissing me off.  Yes, the Canucks havnt made the playoffs in awhile, but cmon, context matters guys.  The Sedins, inheriting a  team with zero prospect pool is going to have an impact.  What matters is what direction the team is headed, and yes, I understand this wasnt all that great of a year if you pick it apart stats wise as well.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

650 is much better then 1040 and it’s not even close.  

1040 is a terrible version of TMZ.  

650 has Alex Auld, Todd Bertuzzi, Ed Jovanovski, and Eliot Friedman.  

Not even close, sorry Donny I do like you still from your Sportspage days. 

Like on 650: Rick Dhaliwal, Alex Auld, Corey Hisch, Scott Rintoul, guests Elliott Friedman and Brian Burke and John Shannon, and Doug McLean.

Mixed feelings: Dan Riccio, Bertuzzi and O'Brien (O'Brien most of the time), rest of the morning crew, Satiar Shah, Randeep Jandha, Joey Kenward.

Dislike on 650: Jawn Jang (too dramatic for my liking), the guy that's on with Scott Rintoul, the girl that's on at night.

Turn the radio to TSN: when Nick Kypreos comes on.  Can't stand him.  He's the worst part of HNIC.

Like on 1040: Don Taylor, Tom Mayenecht. 

Dislike: everyone else, especially the passive-aggressive clown Jeff Patterson, Blake Price, Matt Sekeres, Farhan Lalji, and the guy stuffing himself at the buffet table.  Does Blotchford still appear on TSN?  If he does, I'd put him there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1