Sign in to follow this  
dpn1

TSN 1040 & SN 650: What station do you prefer?

Rate this topic

1040 or 650?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Avoid 650 at all costs except if I can't watch the game on TV. Terrible pandering, and when its not you have Andrew Walker

Prefer 1040 for sure. H&B is my favourite show on either station. Don't usually listen to the other 1040 shows, but 1040 has great guests so I checkout alot of the audio clips.

650 often has terrible reception first & foremost. I do like Canucks central. Really enjoy listening to Auld as an analyst. And I like listening to Sat & Jawn for their draft talk/guests. Don't really care for much else though. The morning show is worse than Pratt, don't care about reachdeep. I respect Rintoul & think Walker has his place, but don't listen to them other than their hits with Friedman. 

One of the noticeable differences I find is interviews. Most the 650 guys are too long-winded in their questions. I'm sure it doesn't help that 650 has the rights, but I'll just put it this way; If there's an interview with Jim Benning happening I'd much rather it be on 1040. Thought H&B knocked it out of the park when they had Jim on before the deadline. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

The only one I dislike is Rick Dahliwal. He'd be perfect for 1040. 

- Sucks up to management.

- Sucks up to sponsors and plugs them ad-nauseum. 

- Sucks up to guests. 

Sat is Dahliwal without the ego. 

Or any of those negatives. 

1040 has Ferraro, Bob Mac, and Taylor. That's all that's going for it. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Like on 650: Rick Dhaliwal, Alex Auld, Corey Hisch, Scott Rintoul, guests Elliott Friedman and Brian Burke and John Shannon, and Doug McLean.

Mixed feelings: Dan Riccio, Bertuzzi and O'Brien (O'Brien most of the time), rest of the morning crew, Satiar Shah, Randeep Jandha, Joey Kenward.

Dislike on 650: Jawn Jang (too dramatic for my liking), the guy that's on with Scott Rintoul, the girl that's on at night.

Turn the radio to TSN: when Nick Kypreos comes on.  Can't stand him.  He's the worst part of HNIC.

Like on 1040: Don Taylor, Tom Mayenecht. 

Dislike: everyone else, especially the passive-aggressive clown Jeff Patterson, Blake Price, Matt Sekeres, Farhan Lalji, and the guy stuffing himself at the buffet table.  Does Blotchford still appear on TSN?  If he does, I'd put him there.

Agree with you 100%, also glad Pratt is off the air... Listen to Sportsnet 650 90% of the time.. Be interesting to see how long 1040 TSN last?

Taylor and Tom are okay, not the same as they were 3 yrs ago....

• Upvote 1

Just want to remind fellow Canuck fans that 1040 was the leading charge in wanting to run Luongo out of town back in the day (even before our 2011 run).  

Now they're the ones talking about Jim Benning being fired.  

In the middle of the day today, after a big Canucks' win, they had an hour segment on American Football.  Then they had the usual clown show with Ry the Twitter guy, Moj and poor Donnie talking about something that had nothing to do with sports.  They kept laughing over each other and repeating the same thing that they've been saying for the last two or three years...  or however long that show has been running.  

If you look at other markets' media, they're usually supportive of their team.  1040 has been leading the charge for the last decade on putting our own players down and creating controversy out of nothing.  

You guys remember when Friedman said how negative Vancouver's media is? 1040 was the one that got the most defensive.

They've got a year before they go out of business, and the few good guys from there will land on their feet somewhere hopefully. Hopefully Tony Galagher just retires and goes into toilet paper print, because that's all his articles have been good for. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Provost said:

I haven't listened to 650 much lately, their broadcast quality was terrible and I couldn't get it in my car out in the valley.

TSN has better guests for sure.  I like to listen to the hits from Ferraro, Pierre Macquire, Button, etc.  I also like listening to Taylor as I was the right age for Sportspage to have been really big.

Pretty much the reason I default to 1040 also.  I have tweeted and commented a few times to them why their signal is such trash, such hit and miss while 1040 always comes in pretty damn clear.

I really like Auld and Shah from 650, Ricco is pretty good for soccer stuff and always been a fan of Rintoul, miss him and Bmac for the old morning show and him for the Lions coverage.

Overall as a whole sports station and not just hockey I feel 1040 is better.  Better overall interviews and guests and insiders personally.  I like Halford and Brough a lot, somewhat Sekeras and Price but Moj and Donny I can do without, their time has come and gone, its more of a comedy show now for them as opposed to sports.  Also I listen to the Sports Market a lot with Tom, quite enjoy that segment on Saturday and if I ever catch it in the evenings.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Agree with you 100%, also glad Pratt is off the air... Listen to Sportsnet 650 90% of the time.. Be interesting to see how long 1040 TSN last?

Taylor and Tom are okay, not the same as they were 3 yrs ago....

last i heartd their ratings were still better even without canucks rights so i doubt 1040 is going anywhere any time soon. and its great Pratt is gone now too...

Edited by Russ

3 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Is this true, or do they just have a different opinion than you?

Absolutely it’s true. For the most part of the last 3 years they treat every post game reaction like we were supposed to be winning games. 

We weren’t supposed to be winning games, don’t focus on the results (losses). 

2 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

Absolutely it’s true. For the most part of the last 3 years they treat every post game reaction like we were supposed to be winning games. 

We weren’t supposed to be winning games,

I think that'd be news to Canucks management. 

3 hours ago, Spudz said:

Wish I could get 650 in Chilliwack so I could compare them.

Didn't know that 650 was not an option in the valley. Explains why @chilliwiggins sounds like a 1040 employee !

38 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Didn't know that 650 was not an option in the valley. Explains why @chilliwiggins sounds like a 1040 employee !

Not at all.  I know in Abby/Mission/Chilliwack I can get it briefly clear enough to listen then it just goes to un listenable.  Even their app sucks, some reason every time I play it and my phone gets a notification it goes deathly quiet and I have to restart the whole app.  1040 doesn't do that on my phone, wish 650 would up their game and get better quality out here.

4 hours ago, Spudz said:

Wish I could get 650 in Chilliwack so I could compare them.

You can listen to 650 on the interweb. :)

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

I live 100 ft from the ocean not the valley however 650 is very spotty in my truck where-as 1040 I can get anywhere I drive.    It’s different though since they lost the broadcast.   It’s always changing though.   I still miss Larschied on color 

650 is on most of the time, but other than a few hosts and guests its just mind boggling to listen to.

Don Taylor, I'm a loyal listener....

Back to 650 the show that starts at 9am.....all I hear is:

Virtanen has to be moved, package Demko to upgrade defense, Juolevi might be a top six one day, find a President, hey find a GM....Pettersson in rookie season = nows the time to push for big fish ufas and build a contending team NOW to surround Elias and win....!?!?!?

Why hive up on a 1st round pick in Virtanen who has developed nicely under Green ?

Markstrom a breakout year and now we are supposed to package a potentially better starter to upgrade defense because trading prospects before you know what you gave is smart.

Juolevi will be a top for dman on the Canucks, probably anchor the top four for what? 10 years? But he because of injury is lucky to crack the top six ?!?

Stray from the plan, make front office changes? What the hell man?

• Hydration 1

1040 needed 650 to get their act together. We have seen 1040 make several cuts from their host roster and even a shake up in their head broadcasting team. Nice to see them adapting. 

650 has a lot of promise but I sometimes struggle to listen to their shows. Halford and Brough have kinda been my go too show. With their new hours though even tho I'm working them I haven't been able to get synced up with it quite yet.  

I typically listen to both post game shows from both stations then flip to Halford and Brough. Now with their 6am start I'm missing a lot of their show. H&B definitely are fantastic but I'm not sure on the slot change.

I work 6-2 i don't know how they can realistically watch the game then get a good enough rest to perform on air to a high standard. It is an unfair request imo.

I absolutely loved the 650 am show when Mira Laurence was there with Rick D. But since they brought on that new guy (probably over a year ago) I struggle to listen too it. 1040 has guests I am more familiar with.

If 650 did some shakeups I think they could be much better. I feel like that am show is to opinionated and rib each other to much first thing. Perry and the other dude (not Rick D) I can't stand.

Overall 1040 has the better show but they've adjusted it's hours but 650 has the most potential. If 650 moved Perry and that other guy to another timeslot I might listen in the am. Jawn Jang would be a good am host imo with Rick D. 

I really can't stand Perry and that other guy. They told Jake he was traded at the TDL well on air all super serious. Super long delay before they said it was a joke. Very distasteful. I really really dislike those two.. did I say that already? 

• Upvote 1