The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Nucks @ Preds 04/04/19 5pm -- Alex Biega Turns 31 Edition

xereau

24 minutes ago, xereau said:

He is a better fit that Leivo. Not saying its a great fit either, or that he deserves it.  But this is whats going on here:

Both Bo and Pearson take the puck, and chase the puck deep.  They need someone that routinely patrols the upper slot, and not to receive passes.  Just someone defensively responsible enough to let those two play their game.

What these two guys need is an elite distributor with a strong two way game.  And there is no one on this team that currently fits that bill.  Its definitely not Jake.  Anders Lee perhaps, in the off season.

exactly how I see it too. Loui is a placeholder for the more elite winger you want with Bo and Pearson. So until we get that guy, the fit is fine. 

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Lievo is a better shooter I think.  Liev's has10 goals in about half as many games as Eriksson (who gets PP2 time as well). I think Lievo can muck it out and get greasy garbage goals too.  Eriksson is mostly a perimeter player and too soft in the crease. I really don't see Eriksson who has been averaging 10 goals a year, as being 1st line material.

he's not anymore, but he's also what we have and you also want those point totals up as high as possible, and maybe some other teams scouts see better fits? I'm reaching here but there are some good reasons to leave that line alone for the last couple of games. 

Loui's got 25 even strength points off the bottom 6 mostly (19 away from Bo's line), thats actually not too bad. I'm hoping that this little run here with Bo's line gets him some new attention and maybe Benning can move him at the draft or maybe on July 2nd when that big bonus is paid. 

3 hours ago, skategal said:

I finally unfollowed him on Twitter (I know, what took me so long?).  Found his constant harangue about Hughes on PP1 to be beyond tiresome, he was starting to sound like a 4 year old wanting a toy.  I didn't find it funny, certainly not insightful.  

Botchford has his moments, but he does obsess a bit, lol.  I think if he could do more reporting and less commentating, he would be much more credible and appreciated.  He doesn't have the worst judgment around here among the journalists.  There are much worse. He needs an old-fashioned job... colleagues, a regular gig, follow the team methodically; but a lot of journalists don't have these things available any longer.  

1 hour ago, hiebskey said:

I'm excited to see what Jake can do with Petey and Boes tonight. I feel like he is the type of player that could excel on that line.

Hopefully they give it a proper look. of those guys.

Should be a great fit with his speed creating some room.  I wanted him tried in this spot all year long so hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity.  

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Brogan and Hughes in tonight!   

Could be very fun to watch but that is a tough team. 

Could be exciting at both ends.

They don't look like contenders.  There's nothing past their 1st line.  Even Poile admits that their 2nd line has been poor.  

Happy Birthday Biega.

I really appreciate what you bring to this team. You have a non-stop motor and die hard approach to every shift. It is very impressive to see. A guy like you is a very good influence on the new players showing up to this team. When Green made his statements that this team will be about relentless pressure and a never quit attitude, he might as well had followed up by saying ' like Bulldog does'.

Enjoy your day man. You should be playing in the game tonight without question, but don't focus on that. Sneak some bevies in the press box and reflect on your killer season!

Go Nucks!

19 minutes ago, mll said:

They don't look like contenders.  There's nothing past their 1st line.  Even Poile admits that their 2nd line has been poor.  

Clearly they need some established veteran presence to buttress the lineup. 

Like Loui Eriksson.  See you on draft day, David.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Clearly they need some established veteran presence to buttress the lineup. 

Like Loui Eriksson.  See you on draft day, David.

They are looking for guys who can score goals.

REFEREES

Kendrick Nicholson #30 Kevin Pollock #33
  KN30.jpg KP33.jpg
Games 18-19 74 74
Career Games 253 1302
First NHL Game 1/17/15 3/28/00
Birthplace Milverton, ON Kincardine, ON

LINESMEN

Pierre Racicot #65 Jesse Marquis #86
  PR65.jpg JM86.jpg
Games 18-19 72 30
Career Games 1759 31
First NHL Game 10/12/93 10/11/18
Birthplace Verdun, QC Bouctouche, NB

6 minutes ago, mll said:

They are looking for guys who can score goals.

Secret weapon, man. 

Put him on the ice after your opponent pulls their goalie. He can score on an empty net, no problem!

Just make sure he's not on the ice when you pull your own goalie!!!

38 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Should be a great fit with his speed creating some room.  I wanted him tried in this spot all year long so hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity.  

I see him as 'a' fit.  Not a great one though. Yet.

Jake has a bad case of stone hands.  Doesn't bode well for those quick bang bang plays.

Jake does not pass well, or often.  He is a very one dimensional offensive player.

Hoping he does well, though.

The big upside to this is Jake's back check will be welcome, as 40/6 get hemmed in their own end a LOT.

11 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering that Virtanen played the LW all through junior, it is incredible that it has taken this long to finally put him on his natural wing side.

A lot of us have wondered about this.  All of Virtanen's best work seems to involve him on this wing, even if he starts out on the other side at the face off.

48 minutes ago, xereau said:

I see him as 'a' fit.  Not a great one though. Yet.

Jake has a bad case of stone hands.  Doesn't bode well for those quick bang bang plays.

Jake does not pass well, or often.  He is a very one dimensional offensive player.

Hoping he does well, though.

The big upside to this is Jake's back check will be welcome, as 40/6 get hemmed in their own end a LOT.

He's much better offensively on the LW.

Archived